All-Star Cheer Extreme Questions And Answers From Courtney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't speak for CEA but I just wanted to put it out there. It is a common practice for gyms to spend money (or more money) on music for their level 5 teams. At the gym I cheered at our level 5 teams were done by JR and the levels 1-4 were done in house.

As far as choreography for CEAs level 1-4s, I beg to differ. In my opinion, their lower levels have awesome choreography as well. But, this is just my opinion. =)

Again, I can't speak for Courtney but I can see what you're implying in this question and I really both of them as non-issues

Well i never said they were issues it was just a question*the entire point of this thread* ...ive noticed it for years with their lower level teams and just simply wanted to know why or what was the reason behind it...to me good music plays a major role when it comes to a routine no matter what level your on..and also i personally think that their level 5 teams has more innovative choreo than the lower levels....not being rude at all just simply asking a question :)

I think everyone probably has great intentions (it's even possible from Rich), but this is "answers form Courtney" so I think we should allow her to answer all her questions, both good and bad. She's an incredibly smart person and tougher than most people I know, she can handle it.

P.S if you diagree with me, please just PM me, I can take it too.

How much sleep do you get? I stay up til at least 1 am every night (mostly later these days) and I'm up by 7 am. Just curious since my family thinks I'm nuts to do this...

1. What do you have to say to people who disliked the Senior Elite routine this season due to the similarities of last seasons routine? For over a decade we put up a great fight believing each season that somehow we could make it happen and this would be the season we could break through in one of the top divisions. In large senior, small senior, and large coed we tried to make our routines fit the standard being set by the perennial world and NCA champions. Coaching and being a part of all three separate but equally difficult journey's for all those years I finally had an epiphany after 2009. We will never beat these teams at their own game. It didn't matter how much we worked on jumps in small seniors, how many combo to doubles we did in large senior, or how many stunts we put up in large coed. The trend setters "snowball" if you will was always just out of our grasp. Chasing a snowball down a hill at the same speed..our snowball would always be a little smaller unless ( here goes an analogy ) their snowball hit a tree ( ie dropped at a competition ) then and then only then could our snowball catch up. Our only chance was to change the game, do the routine that showcases our kids doing what we do best, disregard the trends or the "mold" if you will and do our thing. 2010 introduced the formula that we knew we could pull off. It was radically different from any year before and more importantly a little different than what people had seen. For 364 days of the 2010-2011 season Senior Elite's snowball was just a little ahead. The plan worked well all year as our competitors stepped up their stunting game and we enjoyed an amazing season. To those people who disliked it I would point to the similarities that almost every team retains year after year in their own formula. In fact, I bet you could play the music to almost every routine not only in our gym year to year but in most gyms and the positioning of skills would be very similar. The fact the the 2010 Senior Elite routine was so different made the striking resemblance more of a stand out feature. There was no reason to reinvent the wheel after we finally had the biggest snowball for once at the bottom of the hill. We enjoyed one of very few undefeated level 5 seasons in our sport as setting the two stunt sequence tone played a big factor in the outcome of many major events. Furthermore, the team was almost IDENTICAL to the 2010 team...there was little reason to switch up what worked so well. I enjoyed every second of this season and was amazed at the level they pushed the difficulty even beyond the season before.

2. What can we expect from Cheer Extreme next season?
There is a great quote from Steve Jobs commencement speech in 2005 He actually started Apple Computers and was fired by the company he started. Speaking of the time after he was let go he said.."the heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life". He started Pixar, that created Toy Story, and in a weird turn of events Apple bought Pixar and he was back at home...ultimately under his leadership the company founded anyway saw the dawn of the iphone. I feel like I did in 2009...the heaviness is lifted and the pressure to reproduce is gone...now I can deliver a routine that speaks to the team's strengths in which there are no limitations. To say the least...I'm fired up...we pick the team Saturday and Sunday :)

I heard that your teams only practice once a week. Is this true, and if it is, how do you manage to get so much accomplished in a short amount of time?
All 42 teams practice once a week with optional tumbling for an hour. Closer to big events we rev up the practices for our major trips, including Worlds. In April I go from being responsible for 19 teams down to 3. We have one whole floor at the Kville gym...we run 14 teams on it each week during the regular season. Since those teams are done at the end of March, we have the option to practice our Worlds teams with much greater frequency. Senior Elite did practice 22 of 27 days mostly because I wanted to make our season last as long as possible with so many girls graduating.

Good to know...I was really disappointed to hear from another coach that you stood directly next to me at Cheersport and I didn't notice (they knew I wanted a picture haha)
haha, i wanted a picture with her too! i just stood there staring at her instead looking dumb and creepy. :(

What do you think makes Senior Elite stand out from the other level 5 teams!?
I would be guessing at this, because it is certainly a humbling thing to watch their crowds most events. Notably, Jay Noah's twobytwo videos give a glimpse of our kids personally...I think these girls make it clear how much they are a family with every routine. I think people have watched the hard fought climb our program has made in small steps as a whole year after year. I believe that journey being from a small town is something that many, many gyms see as possible for their own.

Your athletes get a lot of hate but are also praised and treated as the "celebrities" of cheerleading. What do you tell your kids on how to handle everything?
I tell them to be thankful. Praise from their peers is earned and respect from them is a true compliment. They have to be ready for college interviews, job interviews, and networking their entire lives. I love the opportunity this gives them. Who knows how long that will last and it is something I believe each season they have to earn.

do any of the girls react .. i guess jealously to the fact that Maddie and Erica get more "publicity" (i suppose aha) than others?

What skills does it take to make Senior Elite? I understand the normal level 5 skill set but Senior Elite at Cheer Extreme is considered the best of the best. What are you looking for when new cheerleaders walk through your doors hoping to make that team and do you consider new cheerleaders for Senior Elite?
Thank you for your time.
No specific skill set, just exemplary in something extraordinary or all around proficient in all things cheerleading. I pick girls who can handle the pressure, the spotlight, and the drama that accompanies the large senior 5 division. I choose on years with the program, and commitment to the sport. If you rank the team 1-36 best stunters and then 1-36 best tumblers no one would be at the bottom of both lists.

Also, can Senior Elite's pyramid music be Taking Chances by Celine Dion?
Or it could be for the part where Maddie does her ballup 360.

Sorry, I sound a little skeptical, I'm just excited for the upcoming season.

do any of the girls react .. i guess jealously to the fact that Maddie and Erica get more "publicity" (i suppose aha) than others?
I'm sure that is human, but if you know those two personally they are so humble, sweet, and genuine it would be hard to do anything but laugh. We all appreciate the attention the team enjoys as a result of many of the girls spending their time being "ambassadors" of the sport.

I had the pleasure of hanging out with you, Courtney, and Senior Elite at the UCE Coaches Expo last Fall in DC...is this an event that you will participate in again? You mentioned at the expo that you have a lot of double teamers - Are there any girls on Senior Elite that double team, or is that an exclusive team at the gym?
Also - with all of the changes that are in the works for divisions next season, can we expect to see Cheer Extreme in Small, Medium & Large Senior - or just Small and Large?

Back