All-Star Cheer Music & Copyright Laws...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No, not if it's being sold for profit. Period. You can make all the music you want and for yourself and listen to it all day long in your house. Unless the proper fees have been paid and the person has the permission to distribute said music, then no, it's still not legal.

*Many producers try to get around it by citing the "fair use", but I assure you the record companies vehemently disagree.

Hi all,

I have been following this topic of conversation for quite some time, both on this forum and with legal counsel, a piracy representative from the RIAA, and an infringement attorney at the former EMI.

LegalCheerleadingMusic.com, CheerSounds.com and CheerMusicMixer.com all use the same legal premise: we obtain the proper mechanical licenses to use the lyrics, melodies and notes of popular music, and we recreate the audio recordings by performing and recording every part similar to how the original song was created.

The process we use is not something we created. It is the same process which non-cheer artists use to sell covers of popular songs. For example, the holiday song "White Christmas" has been recorded by over 1,000 different artists, and although there are 1,000 different owners of the recordings, there is only one writer/publisher of the song (lyrics + melody). Each cover artist needs to obtain a mechanical license from the writer/publisher to legally use the lyrics and melody. Every time the song sells, the publisher and the writer receive a royalty.

When a customer purchases a cheer mix from us, our prepaid royalty credits are deducted for every song in the mix. The writers/publishers of every song in our mix are paid the negotiated rate, usually the standard compulsory rate. The audio recordings you hear are our reproductions and are not sampled, preventing infringement upon another copyright-holder's recording.

Many audio examples of this method can be heard on CheerSoundsExpress.com

I hope this explanation helps everyone.

Thanks,

Carmine Silano
CheerSounds, LLC
(321) 549-2704
[email protected]

No, not if it's being sold for profit. Period. You can make all the music you want and for yourself and listen to it all day long in your house. Unless the proper fees have been paid and the person has the permission to distribute said music, then no, it's still not legal.

*Many producers try to get around it by citing the "fair use", but I assure you the record companies vehemently disagree.
That's what legalcheerleadingmusic.com does. Did you even go to the website an read about what they do?

Furthermore, I could care less what the record companies "think." It's fair use as far as I am concerned until proven otherwise in court.

Interesting concept. Even though the gym/client could purchase the mix.. I believe that is still only for private use(playing at home/gym/car). The gym or producer would still have to pay a performance fee and potentially obtain a sync license. Let's say you put a Taylor Swift song in with some swear words from a voice over... Swift's publisher will not want her music displayed in that light. They would require a sync license prior to the publishing rights to allow it to be played for the public. Legitmix skips this step and therefore cannot be legal.

Almost every time a copyrighted song is mixed with additional tracks or video, a sync license is required for public space.

I agree there should be an easier way for producers to purchase the rights to popular music. The video industry has started moving in the right direction with sites like musicbed and songfreeedom. Where you can purchase the rights to some popular music for around $50/song. If BMI and ASCAP were smart, they'd have a division dedicated to these types of audio/video rights. $50/song times tens of thousands is better than the zero they're getting now. It's just too expensive and too much of a pain as it stands.
I don't see why you would put a voice over in a mix with a swear word. That said, many remixes on the website sample different vocals and or songs, or even samples vocals from their own library and nothing is mentioned about a sync license. That is because you aren't actually sellin the product, they are purchasing it and it is beig recreated with the songs they purchased. In short, it would be the gym and/or client that would need to obtain asynchronous license and pay the fees. That is the main idea of the website. It bypasses all the licensing associated with musical copyright and distribution.

This is probably one of the rudest things I have ever seen on this board. And that says a lot. And you are doing nothing for your business right now.
Don't care. She has been annoying on this thread since it started. Not to mention she was rude first. I only retaliated. I did not seek her out to be intentionally rude.

not if thats the way you treat people
That isn't the way I treat people. That is the way I treated her with one particular post. She didn't have to be rude to me either. All I have tried to do on this thread is support producers, and provide other members with knowledge and information about what is going on with the copyright issues. I know who all my clients are and I know all the music I will be doing this season, and they are all tremendously more respectful than her.

Hi all,

I have been following this topic of conversation for quite some time, both on this forum and with legal counsel, a piracy representative from the RIAA, and an infringement attorney at the former EMI.

LegalCheerleadingMusic.com, CheerSounds.com and CheerMusicMixer.com all use the same legal premise: we obtain the proper mechanical licenses to use the lyrics, melodies and notes of popular music, and we recreate the audio recordings by performing and recording every part similar to how the original song was created.

The process we use is not something we created. It is the same process which non-cheer artists use to sell covers of popular songs. For example, the holiday song "White Christmas" has been recorded by over 1,000 different artists, and although there are 1,000 different owners of the recordings, there is only one writer/publisher of the song (lyrics + melody). Each cover artist needs to obtain a mechanical license from the writer/publisher to legally use the lyrics and melody. Every time the song sells, the publisher and the writer receive a royalty.

When a customer purchases a cheer mix from us, our prepaid royalty credits are deducted for every song in the mix. The writers/publishers of every song in our mix are paid the negotiated rate, usually the standard compulsory rate. The audio recordings you hear are our reproductions and are not sampled, preventing infringement upon another copyright-holder's recording.

Many audio examples of this method can be heard on CheerSoundsExpress.com

I hope this explanation helps everyone.

Thanks,

Carmine Silano
CheerSounds, LLC
(321) 549-2704
[email protected]
From what it sounds like then you would be one of people/companies following the proper legalities and/or procedures that I've been referencing in my posts. :) Much success to your addition of cheer music to your mix (no pun intended, lol)and thanks for reiterating what I've been trying to convey as nicely as possible.

That isn't the way I treat people. That is the way I treated her with one particular post. She didn't have to be rude to me either. All I have tried to do on this thread is support producers, and provide other members with knowledge and information about what is going on with the copyright issues. I know who all my clients are and I know all the music I will be doing this season, and they are all tremendously more respectful than her.
Actually you were the one who came out with your "fists swinging" so to speak, and for no good reason. I think it's fairly obvious if you read the thread that you appear to be more the antagonist; which is why I'm guessing some ppl are calling you out in it.

This is probably one of the rudest things I have ever seen on this board. And that says a lot. And you are doing nothing for your business right now.
Thank you. I really really wish some people would have actually read my posts bc I kept talking about how much I love cheer music and how I don't want it to go anywhere.

Back