Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DonnaM

DonnaM Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  2. MyNameIsConnorC

MyNameIsConnorC There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Im hoping this follows soon with a USASF announcement saying all sanctioned events including Worlds, are done.

If anything, I will say this has been the most active thread on this website in awhile. It's nice to see a ton of familiar names and level heads chiming into this. Love y'all and hope you are staying safe and healthy.

Edit: looks like the official statement came out minutes after I posted this. Good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. coldasICE

coldasICE Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Worlds postponed - details to come per CU twitter.

4. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    They said they’re “not proceeding as planned” with Worlds but are still looking into other options.

5. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Im blocked by CU but apparently people are pissed that he hyped up the announcement. Like did he really??

6. Cheeranswers

Cheeranswers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I wouldn’t say “hyped”. This is the tweet:

COMING SOON‼️
    IMMINENT NEW STATEMENT EXPECTED REGARDING #CheerWorlds2020

I think it just sent everyone into a frenzy cause they didn’t know when the announcement was coming and it came over an hour later

7. Cheeranswers

Cheeranswers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Very curious to see how this plays out. I think it was the right call. The longer they waited the harder it gets.

Does anyone see postponing it a later date to be an actual possibility? I really can’t see the logistics of how they’d make it work

8. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Nope. Cant see it working with the amount of seniors aging off from teams, etc. I would say they could postpone it by maybe a month or two if they had a serious discussion with gym owners, in my head im thinking even if the seniors aging off would still be around for the summer before school starts up again, they would still have set teams. But kids move, quit etc. over summer breaks so idk.

9. Kentucky Girl

Kentucky Girl I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Does that mean that this year's NCA College Nationals is canceled as well?

10. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yes it was. I know more than a few people who super seniored even though they had all the credits to graduate to make one more go of it. Truly heartbreaking.

11. DancerDude0118

DancerDude0118 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    The Most Populated Timezone on the Planet
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    UCA Universities really dodged a bullet, really fortunate their competitive season ended before all of this unfolded.

12. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Impatiently waiting for the announcement that Star Wars race weekend is cancelled in mid-April at WDW. I've known it was going to happen for a few days now, just want that band-aid ripped off. Was so excited for our dad/daughter trip, but it'll just have to get pushed to next year. We're in the middle of a huge move anyways, so it'll probably be better.

13. Atxmom

Atxmom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This. I kept trying to post something similar but struggled to find the right words. I can totally understand the position of the gyms as I generally try to look at all perspectives. From a gym owner view I think it would be difficult to determine what is best. If you aren’t having practices how can you afford to keep the doors open? If you try to continue with practices parents are going to be upset because it puts kids at risk.
    It upset me that Varsity/USASF wasn’t making any decisions. And yes I understand the logistical nightmare.
    Also with power comes responsibility. A decision needed to be made from the top so everyone else could decide.

14. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Every single business owner and Corp exec I know is crunching numbers long hours and then not sleeping in hopes of trying to figure out ways to take care of their employees and clients. They are waiting as the CDC and WHO give out information, and then re-crunching the numbers as the information on the virus and Federal loan rates are changing. Hourly Customer Service agents are walking off jobs across the US, because people can't understand these decisions don't come in mere seconds after every announcement. The length of time and damage this is going to wreak is unknown for everyone, including leaders. Just a reminder, you do not have to wait for a business leader to make a decision when it concerns your child with cheer and your finances. Using your words, "with power comes responsibility".... Please know I'm not trying to be rude or flippant, but if making a decision about whether or not you want your child to attend the Summit or World's is this difficult for you to make, then I'm sure you can understand the thought these leaders want to put into decisions that impact many families and their paychecks.

Prayers, patience and kindness to all during this time.

15. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I am not sure if having Worlds (even as a modified one day comp) in 8 weeks is going to work:

We can see in this thread that some gyms are closed entirely.
    Some are still practicing as normal.
    Some may have kids on home quarantine.
    Some have a modified practice schedule.
    Some are dealing with reduced staffing.
    Some states are closing all athletic facilities.

Whether you do a one day comp or do it by video, you will get these responses to the result:

"NO FAIR OUR KIDS HAVE NOT BEEN ALLOWED TO REGULARLY PRACTICE PER STATE LAW"
    "NO FAIR WE GOT 3RD TO A TEAM THAT HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO PRACTICE THE WHOLE TIME."
    "NO FAIR 4 OF OUR BEST BASES WERE OUT SICK."
    "NO FAIR ALL OUR SUPER SENIORS HAD ALREADY MOVED TO ___ FOR COLLEGE CAMP AND WE WERE COMPETING WITH FILL INS."

Someone is getting the short end of the stick, the results will garner too much hew and cry and the winner is pretty much going to be whoever is allowed by state law to practice by that point.

(They have advantages over teams in states where full quarantine is happening.)

Unpopular opinion - just cancel it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020