All-Star Disney Do's And Don'ts For Uca , Worlds, Summit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

TheVipersMom

Biggest (stalker) Fan '14
Cheer Parent
Apr 3, 2011
I will start by saying I know there has been a thread in the past where this was talked about but I have searched Disney type words and can't find it. Mostly what comes up is people upset about Worlds being there as it's not a big enough venue. So maybe because of all those posts I couldn't find it. I'm sorry!

So I think it's time for a new one!

This year I'm going to Disney with my daughter for the first time in my life. I have never been and know nothing of what to expect.

I have bought the package through the event and will be staying at the allstar resort! Anything else that would be helpful for any Disney GOers would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big thing I would say is try to get anyplace early. It's Disney so big event or not there will still be waits and long lines. Plan out what parks and rides you want to go to and hit those up as early as you can. In my opinion Epcot is only fun if you are over 21. That's just my opinion about the attractions though.
For cheer it's always great to watch teams practice at the football field at the allstar resort.
If you accept that the Disney experience includes waits and overpriced food and just go with it, you will have a great time. Just make a plan on what you wanna see and go with it or else you may just waste time.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This is from an all-day spectator perspective:

DO Bring jackets/blankets. The arena is super air conditioned usually, so it gets very cold (especially when everyone is dressed in shorts for "Florida weather". Just because its 90 outside does not mean that is the case inside!

DO Plan, plan, plan. If you think that you need to get on a bus 20 min early at the hotel, go another 20 min earlier. All 3 events are very fun but can get very busy, especially worlds, and especially to/from allstar resort as that is where most people stay. I stood in line from 7am until they slowly started letting people in the arena for worlds-Sunday (Large senior was at 9am) and did not leave my seat until 10pm. I went with 1 other person and we tag-teamed holding our seats if one of us needed to use the bathroom. We also brought a big backpack with seat cushions, a blanket, and a ton of snacks because we knew we were in it for the long haul.

DO bring your own food. There's really only 1-2 food places open at WWOS, which = long lines during breaks (like every cheer comp) & not a huge selection of great food. It's alright for a snack or some chicken nuggets but that's about it. I recommend at least packing some snacks or sandwiches, so that even if you buy some food, it isn't everything you eat.

DONT wait until 20 min before a division to find a seat. I have seen my fair share of kids sharing a seat/sitting on laps, etc. & we are talking 3 kids to a seat at worlds. Also, DONT try to stand/sit in the aisles. It's a fire hazard and they will make you to move (politely the first time, not so politely after that). Again, @ worlds this was a big problem. A few times they refused to start divisions until people complied with this, because people were clogging up the walkways. I always feel awful for the Disney people that have to constantly deal with this........tough job.

From a competitive aspect:
DONT tire yourself out at the parks before competition weekend. The Disney parks are awesome, but are a lot of walking. Making your legs/feet tired the day before you compete or staying up playing around in Magic Kingdom until 2am is not smart. You are there to compete, so competition = 1st priority, fun time @ the parks = 2nd. There will be plenty of time after you compete to see everything.

DONT go to the pool or parks without sunscreen. Getting burnt on comp weekend = not fun.

DONT try & stunt in the parks. Everyone wants that lib picture in front of the castle or the epcot ball, etc etc etc, but it's a liability for Disney and makes them really nervous. All that path under those landmarks = concrete! When I interned there, they were telling all the photopass cast members every cheer comp weekend to ask people to get down if they were stunting due to safety (not only for themselves but the guests around them....those spots are highly populated usually). People still do it, but its frowned upon.

DO expect to not get much sleep. Lots of cheer competitors all in the same hotel = loudness. Disney tries to keep it managed the best they can, but its a lot of teams and not a lot of people listening usually. I suppose you could always bring earplugs or hope your surrounding teams are quiet/leaving for comp around the same time as you in the morning so they will be asleep at the same times.

From a Disney park perspective:
DO use extra magic hours.
DO leave early before the parks open to make the most of your park days.
DO plan out what you want to do & DO get fastpasses for highly busy rides (Space/Splash/Big Thunder, then Enchanted Tales w/Belle, then Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh = MK.... SOARIN' then Test Track = EPCOT.....TOY STORY MANIA, then Rockin' Rollercoaster then Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios.....Expedition Everest then Kilamanjaro Safaris at Animal Kingdom. Underlined ones will be 2 hour waits unless you fast pass or ride right at park open)
DO get in line @ 10:30am to eat lunch at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom
DO get lots of delicious snacks in the parks (Research on the DFB: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/ I recommend a Dole Whip Float ( Pineapple soft serve in pineapple juice) at MK...... the strawberry shortcake @ Sunshine Seasons, School bread from Norway, Fresh caramel popcorn or a caramel chocolate apple in Germany(ask it to get sliced), a Primavera smoothie in Italy, Kaki Gori (Snow Cone) in Japan, or anything from boulangerie patisserie in France for EPCOT (this is delicious food central. Eat here as much as possible!).....A giant cupcake from Starring Rolls @ Hollywood Studios......A Jalapeno Cheese pretzel from the cart by Kilimanjaro Safaris or the White Elephant or Cotton Top Tamarin Cupcake from Kusafari Bakery @ Animal Kingdom)
DO make reservations WAY in advance for anything special if you want to do them (Sit down restaurants, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, etc.)
DONT wait to buy something until the end of your trip. It might not be there when you come back. Also, some things are park specific and will only be sold at certain stores. Downtown Disney does not sell everything (contrary to many people's beliefs), so don't count on them always having it, especially if it is specific to a ride or the theme park. Save yourself the trouble and just tell them at the register you want to ship it back to your hotel (it's free and will be waiting for you at the allstar resort merchandise shop the next day! Win-Win).
DO have your ID on you if trying to use a credit card & that card is not signed.
DO bring a cheap poncho for everyone in your family. $1 from walmart> $8-12 from the parks & = life saver in random spring showers (or on Kali River Rapids....you're gonna want the poncho for that ride for sure!!). Florida is very rainy in spring time and a 1 hour rain storm will come out of nowhere. Once that passes, the rest of the day it will be perfectly clear again.

Something I once read on here: take a picture of your park hopper pass and e-mail it to yourself (in case your phone gets stolen). If you lose it you can get a new one for free when you can show them the picture. (Someone feel free to correct me if this info is wrong.)

Something I once read on here: take a picture of your park hopper pass and e-mail it to yourself (in case your phone gets stolen). If you lose it you can get a new one for free when you can show them the picture. (Someone feel free to correct me if this info is wrong.)
That's correct. There is a mandatory orientation for the athletes when you go to pick up their passes, etc and one of he things they say is to take pictures of not only the park hopper passes but the athletes credentials too.

There is a special fast pass that doesn't count towards your daily allotment for Be Our Guest for lunch only. you can even preorder your food to save time. Google the link. ( I am not able to access it right now but you can find it via your search.

You can also order groceries from the green grocer and they will deliver it to your room. This is excellent for waters etc. there is a small delivery charge, but for comps, it is worth it IMO, because you probably want specific items.

It will take at least an hour to get the via magic express, but your checked luggage might take another couple of hours to get to your room. So make sure you pack your bathing suit or park clothes in your carryon, and a travel sized suntan lotion, so you can start your adventures right away.

And the most important thing which. I am sure you already know is pack your uni, bow and sneaks in the carry on too.

If you are on the meal plan, sometimes you can get meals packed to go. The bakery at the boardwalk definitely does it too with real lobster sandwiches.

eta link beourguestlunch.disney.go.com

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been posted but I just got back from UCA College Nationals and wanted to share some of the changes made at Disney World now. You can no longer use your old Disney mugs previously purchased at the resorts :( You can only get coffee and water with your old mugs. Now you have to purchase a new mug from this year and you pay for the number of nights you will be there and they scan it so the drink fountain will only recognize the new cups. (Oh and you have to wait 2 minutes to refill...) Also instead of room keys now you get wrist bands that say your name on the inside. These can be used for pretty much anything in addition to getting in your room. These are also what you use at some of the parks now to get fast passes. You no longer get paper fast passes but you register to your band. When you get a fast pass you must pick 3 rides with the help of a Disney worker and they will then give you your times to come back. Hope that helps! This was my 9th time going to Disney for cheer and it was definitely different this year than previous years!

If you're going to the parks and staying on site, do take advantage of the Magic Bands! I used them in December and they're wonderful. You can assign your park ticket to the band, reservations, get in your hotel room with it, when you get a photographer to take pictures of you, he can scan them onto your band so you can look at them online later, put your credit or debit card on it to make purchases (with a PIN code of course) and even pick 3 rides to get fastpasses for on the band. Super convenient to not have to dig out your ticket, room key, fast pass, or card when you need it.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I just got back from UCA College Nationals and wanted to share some of the changes made at Disney World now. You can no longer use your old Disney mugs previously purchased at the resorts :( You can only get coffee and water with your old mugs. Now you have to purchase a new mug from this year and you pay for the number of nights you will be there and they scan it so the drink fountain will only recognize the new cups. (Oh and you have to wait 2 minutes to refill...) Also instead of room keys now you get wrist bands that say your name on the inside. These can be used for pretty much anything in addition to getting in your room. These are also what you use at some of the parks now to get fast passes. You no longer get paper fast passes but you register to your band. When you get a fast pass you must pick 3 rides with the help of a Disney worker and they will then give you your times to come back. Hope that helps! This was my 9th time going to Disney for cheer and it was definitely different this year than previous years!

Wait what?! Okay, sohow do you get into your room? Likej ust like flash the band at the door? Lol I thought you were never allowed to use old cups and my teammates were super sneaky by using old ones. Haha guess not.:)

Wait what?! Okay, sohow do you get into your room? Likej ust like flash the band at the door? Lol I thought you were never allowed to use old cups and my teammates were super sneaky by using old ones. Haha guess not.:)
Nah, they only rotated the old ones every 4-5 years so frequenters would pack them in their suitcases to reuse. The past 1-2 years they started putting up signs in the food courts saying "to use for the duration of your stay" but they couldn't really enforce it. Hence, new "rapid refill" mugs.....new color lids, easy way to enforce.
This explains it pretty well: News and Review!: Rapid Fill Refillable Mugs for Walt Disney World Resorts Now in Use | the disney food blog
11kgufa.jpg

11kgufa.jpg

Every year I have gone to Disney for cheer has be amazing! You get so much closer to your team and it's a remarkable experience! So have fun and make sure you bring ponchos, because the ones they sell are super expensive and tear easily. Also water is free, so my mom and I like to bring packets of crystal light to pour into it to save money. We also eat two meals a day, because it adds up quickly, so we bring lots of snacks! But the number one tip I can give you is to have fun!!!

Back