High School Enforcing Correct Tumbling Technique In A High School Program

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yea, Virginia is the same way. No small/large or all girl/coed, just A - 6A with a max of 20 athletes for everyone.

I was a VA high school cheerleader personally victimized by this.

My school was a 6A school for years because of our historic school size and the other two schools in our county were honest to goodness 6A. We could compete in some sports like Basketball bc it fields less people and it was a popular sport.

Any other team with more than 10 people? Forget about it. For cheer we competed with 12 of the best just so we could get the majority score. But we were competing against schools with solid jv and Varsity teams, with girls who did some sort of outside tumbling/cheer. We only got 25 girls to try out.

When they restructured my senior year and we became a 5A competing against equals, our sports teams across the board got better. For cheer we is a team to watch even with 12 on the floor. Ironically, we are about to be the juggernaut school in a few years due to enrollment and will most likley go back to 6A.

I was a VA high school cheerleader personally victimized by this.

My school was a 6A school for years because of our historic school size and the other two schools in our county were honest to goodness 6A. We could compete in some sports like Basketball bc it fields less people and it was a popular sport.

Any other team with more than 10 people? Forget about it. For cheer we competed with 12 of the best just so we could get the majority score. But we were competing against schools with solid jv and Varsity teams, with girls who did some sort of outside tumbling/cheer. We only got 25 girls to try out.

When they restructured my senior year and we became a 5A competing against equals, our sports teams across the board got better. For cheer we is a team to watch even with 12 on the floor. Ironically, we are about to be the juggernaut school in a few years due to enrollment and will most likley go back to 6A.
When I was in high school it was only A to 3A, that was the highest. I think there was an even bigger impact on some schools then. I don't think they added 4A to 6A until 2 or 3 years after I graduated.

When I was in high school it was only A to 3A, that was the highest. I think there was an even bigger impact on some schools then. I don't think they added 4A to 6A until 2 or 3 years after I graduated.

Honestly, I wish there were divisions because teams are so different. Like the best team in the Northern Region can't compete with the teams in the southern regions. The rules work in other sports but with cheer it's about skill. And you're not getting team fulls in 5A north but you are probably getting it in the south where cheer is more popular.

HS coaches can be under a lot of pressure (not just from themselves, but from parents, athletes, and the administration) to amass skills as quickly as possible. How does one ensure that their kids aren't rushed through tumbling progressions, but are still able to do decently well competitively? Also how would this work in states lacking non-tumbling divisions?

Like, if I as a coach (I'm not yet, just speaking theoretically) were to have a team full of kids whose only sufficiently clean skill was a forward roll, and we were living in an area in which our competitors were throwing handsprings and tucks, how would I be able to operate a competitive program without having my athletes become demoralized (b/c if non-tumbling isn't an option, you'll end up with low scores if you lack difficulty).
If your scenario of only having forward rolls were real life, then we would go on-tumbling or not compete at all. IMO anything less than a handspring isn't going in a routine.

As for enforcing technique, it's just something you have to stress to the kids and parents. Video helps a lot! Our AD could care less, and probably would actually prefer for them not progress to higher skills.

If your scenario of only having forward rolls were real life, then we would go on-tumbling or not compete at all. IMO anything less than a handspring isn't going in a routine.

As for enforcing technique, it's just something you have to stress to the kids and parents. Video helps a lot! Our AD could care less, and probably would actually prefer for them not progress to higher skills.

Have to agree with you on the handspring thing, and for running tumbling with my advanced team, nothing less than a tuck is going in.

Thanks. So if they aren't willing to meet me halfway with gaining tumbling skills (I teach tumbling and/or bring in an instructor) then I'm looking at a scenario in which that program is just not going to be competitive.

Thanks. So if they aren't willing to meet me halfway with gaining tumbling skills (I teach tumbling and/or bring in an instructor) then I'm looking at a scenario in which that program is just not going to be competitive.
Bolded part... don't come at it with a you vs me. If they have a short coming (lack of tumbling) and your putting any type of negative on them for it, it won't encourage them. Put yourself with them and say as a whole WE are going to work towards getting tumbling. What can we all do to reach this goal.

I think it's about setting expectations, and communicating to them what they need in order to be competitive. If the goal is to compete and the non-tumbling division isn't an option, then working towards a program that has tumbling is step 1. Maybe that starts with we need x amount or at least half squad handsprings and we will do local competitions. What I've learned coaching is that the kids have to want it. The coach can want something, but if the kids don't, then its not going to happen. If competing isn't something the team wants, then the push to gain tumbling to compete won't be there. I've also found that kids will rise to the expectation most all of the time. If you expect a lot, they will strive for that. I let our girls know what I expect from them on a daily basis. We also do a lot of goal setting.

In my experience, kids love to be pushed and to know their coach believes in them. 90% of the texts, emails, etc I get after they move on are along the lines of "you saw what I could be and pushed me to be my best" type of note. That all starts with realistic expectations and a lot of encouragement.

Bolded part... don't come at it with a you vs me. If they have a short coming (lack of tumbling) and your putting any type of negative on them for it, it won't encourage them. Put yourself with them and say as a whole WE are going to work towards getting tumbling. What can we all do to reach this goal.

I think it's about setting expectations, and communicating to them what they need in order to be competitive. If the goal is to compete and the non-tumbling division isn't an option, then working towards a program that has tumbling is step 1. Maybe that starts with we need x amount or at least half squad handsprings and we will do local competitions. What I've learned coaching is that the kids have to want it. The coach can want something, but if the kids don't, then its not going to happen. If competing isn't something the team wants, then the push to gain tumbling to compete won't be there. I've also found that kids will rise to the expectation most all of the time. If you expect a lot, they will strive for that. I let our girls know what I expect from them on a daily basis. We also do a lot of goal setting.

In my experience, kids love to be pushed and to know their coach believes in them. 90% of the texts, emails, etc I get after they move on are along the lines of "you saw what I could be and pushed me to be my best" type of note. That all starts with realistic expectations and a lot of encouragement.
This was super helpful, thank you!

Simply set the expectation of "improvement"

Then celebrate every whiff of improvement that you see.

Did someone go to an open gym tumbling session? Celebrate
did someone do a forward roll with perfect form? Celebrate
did someone get their back handspring? Celebrate
did someone walk and chew gum without falling over? Celebrate
You get the idea? Celebrate

Simply set the expectation of "improvement"

Then celebrate every whiff of improvement that you see.

Did someone go to an open gym tumbling session? Celebrate
did someone do a forward roll with perfect form? Celebrate
did someone get their back handspring? Celebrate
You get the idea? Celebrate

This is it! When people see that tumbling on your own will get recognized and getting new skills will get you praised, they will go. This happened in our program. Going to tumbling became a bonding activity and those who didn't go started to feel left out so they started going too. We started competing by stunt groups when people were getting close. The first stunt group that threw 10 bhs at every practice would go out to dinner---worked for us because our coach was like a mother to us, some teams might not have the same relationship but you get the point.

Last edited:
The program I'm coaching for now is in that exact situation. I've coached tumbling for many years, but coming in it was rough. Since there weren't experienced stunters or tumblers on the team the people in the school that have all star experience don't try out really.

I've been working handsprings with them and it's going well but it's hard. We only have 2 hours of practice twice a week and that's not a lot of time to get girls doing handsprings and to drill stunts.

I've been careful with technique, but I have to admit I've been teaching them to pike down out of their handspring when they first learn it. I hate doing it and I know it's bad technique but at a school without mats to teach them I feel like if I stress handstand snap downs and pikeing down I know that they'll always make it to their feet and be able to stand up safely.

A lot of them have good cores, so if I can get them to their hands with their hands by their ears they sort of pike and bring their feet to the floor.

Does anyone have any tips? Should I stress proper technique? Or tweet the form to make sure they get over safely?

And most importantly, how do I convince them that tumbling isn't crazy and out of the realm of possibilities for them? I feel like a lot of them have this idea that no one has tumbling, so no one will get tumbling, and that it's horrific and scary to try. In allstar the peer pressure factor of "everyone has a handspring so it can't be that scary or hard" I feel like makes it way easier to teach kids. But high school is a whole different environment.

Edit: extra tumbling classes at a gym aren't a financial reality for most of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any tips? Should I stress proper technique? Or tweet the form to make sure they get over safely?

I'm a technique freak. Mostly because I hate fixing bad technique that is now a habit. If you teach the proper way from the start, you'll save yourself many headaches.

And most importantly, how do I convince them that tumbling isn't crazy and out of the realm of possibilities for them? I feel like a lot of them have this idea that no one has tumbling, so no one will get tumbling, and that it's horrific and scary to try. In allstar the peer pressure factor of "everyone has a handspring so it can't be that scary or hard" I feel like makes it way easier to teach kids. But high school is a whole different environment.
Do you compete? I'll be entering my 3rd year at this school. To everyone's (including my own!) amazement we made it straight through to finals at our state competition this past season with our handful of backhandsprings and 1 tuck. Just being at that level and being able to hang with the best has given my kids motivation like no other. Our parents organized some off season tumbling classes and 90% of our program is attending. There are kids who have never attempted a forward roll suddenly determined to improve. So, maybe even if you don't compete, taking them to a competition where they can see what other high school teams are doing will motivate them.

Edit: extra tumbling classes at a gym aren't a financial reality for most of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS.
You're my favorite.

THIS.

You're my favorite.

Just wanted to get my point across.

There are only three responses a coach can provide to a behavior: positive, negative, and absolutely nothing. the only one that has been proven to improve performance is positive. So, the idea is to be positive when people do the right thing. Ignore the little negative things so as not to draw attention to them (negative behaviors are typical nothing more than attention-seeking), and if they negative gets out of hand, remove the person from the team. Not permanently, necessarily, but remove them from that drill. A simple, "you go sit down, and I'll deal with you when I get time." Is usually enough to make the point. Then a good coming to Jesus moment in private.

If you provide ample positive reinforcement for those positive behaviors, this magic thing will happen where your best athletes will become your hardest workers.

This works in conditioning as well. Use conditioning in a positive fashion. One of my favorite drills in the summer is to have the girls stand in a chant line. As they do chants, we call names of the people who are doing them over-the-top WELL, and those people are given the REWARD of running a sprint to the end of the line and back. Once you begin using conditioning as a reward, it can never be used as a punishment again, or you will lose all positive momentum you've gained. You can't even threaten it. One of my assistant coaches did that at the beginning of our football season, and we never regained our mojo. I've almost considered it grounds for termination.

Just wanted to get my point across.

There are only three responses a coach can provide to a behavior: positive, negative, and absolutely nothing. the only one that has been proven to improve performance is positive. So, the idea is to be positive when people do the right thing. Ignore the little negative things so as not to draw attention to them (negative behaviors are typical nothing more than attention-seeking), and if they negative gets out of hand, remove the person from the team. Not permanently, necessarily, but remove them from that drill. A simple, "you go sit down, and I'll deal with you when I get time." Is usually enough to make the point. Then a good coming to Jesus moment in private.

If you provide ample positive reinforcement for those positive behaviors, this magic thing will happen where your best athletes will become your hardest workers.

This works in conditioning as well. Use conditioning in a positive fashion. One of my favorite drills in the summer is to have the girls stand in a chant line. As they do chants, we call names of the people who are doing them over-the-top WELL, and those people are given the REWARD of running a sprint to the end of the line and back. Once you begin using conditioning as a reward, it can never be used as a punishment again, or you will lose all positive momentum you've gained. You can't even threaten it. One of my assistant coaches did that at the beginning of our football season, and we never regained our mojo. I've almost considered it grounds for termination.
Now that you've done a full season with positive conditioning, I'd love to know how it all turned out. Success stories or any flaws you found.

Back