All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

"Can I have that?" well I don't know, can you?

You should say "May I have that?"

Also- not quite grammar, but I was getting ready this morning when I overheard my roommate say, "Matte is definitely pronounced 'mat-tay'. You have to pronounce the E, it's in the word." ...we're in college. :facepalm:
Some teachers respond like that when someone asks to use the bathroom.

"I don't know, can you?"

I think everyone needs to do what my mother did, and just hand out the Dictionary of Disagreeable English when I was in high school, so I could just smack people with it when they said something wrong.

Also can we talk about people doing silly things here as well! Because I have ENDLESS stories of people incapable of basic math from working in a restaurant.

Tell us!

Not Grammar related but when I was learning to read in English I had the hardest time reading the word "Arkansas"! I wanted to sound it out so bad :/
I came to United States in my teens, so my writing skills aren't the best, feel free to correct my grammar anytime! lol

I ALWAYS mess up affect/effect. The difference was never really explained well to me? So I apologize if any of my future posts use them incorrectly, but I'll do my best to get it right!

My biggest grammar pet peeve though is when people mess up "its" and "it's."

Affect is a verb and effect is a noun.

Back