All-Star Help Stunts Hit At Practice Consistently, But Fall At Comp. :(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
My daughter is a flyer. At practice her stunt groups go awesome. They are solid, consistent, and beautiful to watch. But, at comp. they seem to fall a lot. :( Any advice or help is appreciated.

Maybe someone in the group has performance anxiety and freaks out on stage, changing their technique while stunting. I am SO sorry to hear that :( hopefully things will get better and the stunt will hit! There might just be little mistakes happening!

A couple of things to think about:
-Is the stunt only done individually at practice when it hits or when the routine is done in sections?
-Does the stunt group get nervous when performing in front of people but not at practice?
-Does the stunt group hit 5 out of 5 times in a row at practice but just not at competition?

It could be stamina, lack of performing experience/"competition jitters", consistency issues with a full out routine or a mix of them among other things.

When the girls practice the stunts at practice do they practice it in full out routines with music or individually. A lot of time teams practice the stunts individually to just a count for most of the practice and only go full out with the whole routine a few times. If that is the case they might not be counting as fast when practicing as it actually is in the routine and so it could be falling because they feel rushed. Or the girls might be tired from tumbling or jumping when done in a full routine. I know our girls could nail their stunts perfectly at a slower count but when it gets faster in with the music it's not as consistant. Our girls seem to do the opposite though, they always do better in comps then at pratice. Good luck!

Maybe someone in the group has performance anxiety and freaks out on stage, changing their technique while stunting. I am SO sorry to hear that :( hopefully things will get better and the stunt will hit! There might just be little mistakes happening!

Thank you so much!

They practice it both ways individually and full out. And, it hits consistently in practice. Definitely more than 5 times in a row. I know Thursday night they did it individually 10 times in a row and it hit every time. Then they did it full out and they hit 5 times in a row. My daughter says they hold her foot different in comp. and she can feel her ankle start to roll. But, I know our Coach is an expert and really knows her stuff. The Coach as never said anything about that. So, maybe it is nerves. I don't know. It just breaks my heart for my CP.

If they can hit their stunts while going full out at practice (with music) but not at comps, it's their mental game that needs work. I give girls a key word or phrase to focus on during parts I know they struggle with. It gives them something very specific to focus on instead of allowing their nerves to overcome them. When they let doubt take over, they'll visualize their habitual mistake/falling, instead of hitting. What you think is what you do so mental prep for the competition moment is critical.

If they can hit their stunts while going full out at practice (with music) but not at comps, it's their mental game that needs work. I give girls a key word or phrase to focus on during parts I know they struggle with. It gives them something very specific to focus on instead of allowing their nerves to overcome them. When they let doubt take over, they'll visualize their habitual mistake/falling, instead of hitting. What you think is what you do so mental prep for the competition moment is critical.

That is a great point! Thanks!

A couple of things to think about:
-Is the stunt only done individually at practice when it hits or when the routine is done in sections?
-Does the stunt group get nervous when performing in front of people but not at practice?
-Does the stunt group hit 5 out of 5 times in a row at practice but just not at competition?

It could be stamina, lack of performing experience/"competition jitters", consistency issues with a full out routine or a mix of them among other things.

We must have been typing at the same time but we were thinking alike.

Back