How Far Do You/would You Drive To Your Gym??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We drive an hour and 20 minutes one way to a gym and there are 3 gyms within 20 minutes of where we live. We just prefer the gym further away than the ones close by. The ones close to us would never even be considered - don't like any of them.

I cheer at ATA allstars in Atlanta and I'm on Legends (sr. large coed 5)
Our gym was merged with another atlanta gym, CTA, about an hour/hour and a half away.
Because some of the team was from CTA and others from ATL, we would travel back and forth.
3 of the days: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, we would drive south to CTA,
and 2 days: Sunday, Monday, they would drive north to ATL.
It was an enormous amount of time spent in the car per week, but it was DEFINITELY worth it.

I'm really just curious how far you drive to take your CP (or yourself) to practice? Or how far would you drive to get to the best gym around? I, of course, want to send my CP to the best gym in our area, but that particular gym is a 40 minute drive away, and we literally pass 2 other gyms to get to it. I'm totally willing to do it (even though gas costs a fortune! ugh!), but I'm wondering if thats normal, or kind of extreme??

i drive about 30 minutes to my gym, not to far but nto relatively close.

My CP gym is about 10 mins tops from our house. However our work/ school is 30 miles away so weekday practices can take 45 - 60 mins to drive to but only 10 mins to get home from there. But we have to drive 45 - 60 mins regardless to get home.

My gym is only 2o minutes away.. I know people who drive 2 hours to go to ACE. My parents would never let me do that

For my CP, we just go to the gym here in town. I am not spending my days/hours driving my 8yr old any where else. Maybe when she is in HS and has a truly deep passion for it, along with keeping her grades at all "A's". I also refuse to go into debit for it.

I would like to add, I do know of someone that drives at-least a hour (maybe more with bad weather and/or traffic) to get her daughters to their gym. When their are others in her town. She is always posting on FB how broke she is and the troubles she has getting her daughters to their gym. My guess she is so broke she has a awful credit rating since she claims she can't afford a new auto being that her current one is a lemon with breakdown issue after issue. I also know she has been late on her rent etc... From her postings one gathers she can't pay what bills she has. To me, that's taking cheer a bit to far.

I would like to add, I do know of someone that drives at-least a hour (maybe more with bad weather and/or traffic) to get her daughters to their gym. When their are others in her town. She is always posting on FB how broke she is and the troubles she has getting her daughters to their gym. My guess she is so broke she has a awful credit rating since she claims she can't afford a new auto being that her current one is a lemon with breakdown issue after issue. I also know she has been late on her rent etc... From her postings one gathers she can't pay what bills she has. To me, that's taking cheer a bit to far.

I understand and to you thats how it may seem but we all take cheer to different levels.

My cp is 7. She has cheered exactly 2 years and 1 month and she is starting her 3rd season.

I'm not rich by any means in fact I'm currently wondering how I'm going to pay 322$ for the first installment of comp fees that was due last week, while finding out on my way to work today I need a new battery for my car (no its not a lemon and yes it's a newer car), and then I got sent home early from work today because we ran out of "leads" (people to call).

But I wouldn't trade it for nothing. The first season she was 5 years old. I drove a few mins to her gym and paid all my fees and had a great time doing it while she was on tiny 1.

Then we moved 1.5 hours away. I did not want to pull my cp from her gym because that's all she known and she made 2 teams at the age of 6. She was placed youth 2 and mini 1. She practiced 4 days a week 1.5 hrs away on 2 teams. (Monday,Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) I could not work because her schedule was so insane. I picked her up at 2:30 from school went home got her changed left and made it to the other town, drove back and got home after 10pm every night. (because she was on 2 teams and had a few practices on the same day so the days were doubled) I took time off of work before I moved so my daughter could cheer and at that time I had that option.

I decided I want my daughter to compete at the bigger competitions with the best of the best. So this time last year as we were embarking on our second season. Since I was off of work I spent days and hours researching gyms. I wanted to move my daughter for cheer. I had family in San Antonio, Tx and family in Merritt Island, Fl (not to far from Orlando). I knew if I moved to Texas she would have the best opportunity to continue and move up if she so desires. So I decided once the season ended I was going to move to Texas to her new gym. So the end of March I wanted to be here right before tryouts so my cp could check out her new gym. We picked up and moved. I now live about 20 mins from the gym. However, the cost in Texas and for the better competitions has DOUBLED. I can't stay at home any longer and pay for cheer. So I started working again. Unfortunately my job barely covers my bills if that. Yes all my bills are paid by the grace of god and no cheer isn't more important then having a place to live. However, most people don't understand how I agree to pay all this money for something my daughter loves and is decent at. I don't care what I have to do, I will never take the opportunity away from my child. If I have to get a second job then that's fine! I'll make it work.

What I'm saying is people aren't always going to agree on how they spend their money. Most people look at me and say I'm crazy and stupid because I don't make that much and I moved here all for cheer. I don't own anything that's worth money and I still owe almost 14 grand on my car. The only thing I own worth money is my GPS (it's really nice and I couldn't even make it to work with out it) but besides that I probably don't have 2 dimes to rub together. However, I have less then 300 dollars in credit card debt and thats less than most people. Just because I can barely pay for cheer doesnt mean I have bad credit because I probably couldn't go finance another car.
I mean I probably can't go finance another car because I have a low income and really can't afford another car payment. So don't judge people for what they do with their money. I hate that more then anything!

At least I'm benefitting my kid with my money and not blowing it all on getting my hair and nails done. Yeah I would love that and I would do it to if I had money. But That's why I only worry about myself.

Back