High School I Am Furious.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 15, 2012
Okay so I know that judges have ther own opinions and stuff, but they really messed up this time and cost us regionals. I don't have a very good team in general, but this year we could have definitely moved on. In an invitational a week earlier, we got a 74.5 with two stunt drops, and first place. Yesterday, we had only one stunt drop and everything else perfect, but we got a 66.25. We looked at the scores and our tumbling was a 3! That puts us in the walkover/aerial category and 25% bhs. Our team has over 75% bhs and like 25% standing backs and everybody threw them. I don't know what the running requirements are, but my coach said we met them to be in a higher point range. I am furious! It cost us regionals!! Anything like this happened to any of you? I want to complain Soo bad but you can't and appeals are only or state competitions. MA judges stink at their jobs and should be more careful.

*Our execution was even better when we got the 66.5. Come on, judges!

Okay so I know that judges have ther own opinions and stuff, but they really messed up this time and cost us regionals. I don't have a very good team in general, but this year we could have definitely moved on. In an invitational a week earlier, we got a 74.5 with two stunt drops, and first place. Yesterday, we had only one stunt drop and everything else perfect, but we got a 66.25. We looked at the scores and our tumbling was a 3! That puts us in the walkover/aerial category and 25% bhs. Our team has over 75% bhs and like 25% standing backs and everybody threw them. I don't know what the running requirements are, but my coach said we met them to be in a higher point range. I am furious! It cost us regionals!! Anything like this happened to any of you? I want to complain Soo bad but you can't and appeals are only or state competitions. MA judges stink at their jobs and should be more careful.

*Our execution was even better when we got the 66.5. Come on, judges!

What school are you from?

is this at a UCA regional? If so, there is no "point range" for tumbling or any other skill. Its all relative to who you are competing with.

is this at a UCA regional? If so, there is no "point range" for tumbling or any other skill. Its all relative to who you are competing with.

No it's not, I don't know if we have any of those in MA. It sounds like leagues, which uses the MSSAA scoresheet.

My team has very little tumbling but our stunting, cleanliness and prefection of routine far surpassed the other teams. They beat us by 11 points with an illegal move in their pyramid that they didnt get deducted for.. they also dropped three stunts to our 1 .

The rules for middle school teams in NH are vague and you never know if something is legal or not - it hurts us every year so I feel your pain :/

This whole year for MA is going to royally screw over so many teams! The judges do not understand the new score sheets AT ALL. I coach a JV team in MA and each week our score was all over the place but our performances were consistent... we would go from 60 to 52 to 64, made no sense what so ever!

The whole judging system in MA is a sh*t show. They need to have a better way of picking judges, and not just have anyone they want take the course shadow and become a judge! The whole system needs a make over!

I'm sorry your team didn't qualify for regionals, after looking at the lineups for regionals its unreal how uneven the divisions are this year (North Region only has 4 D4 teams, its crazy!) Seems as though A LOT of teams were judged unfairly this season!

ok. Im no analyzer but from looking at that score sheet...in some categories you can legit suck and still score well...you can drop a stunt t0 the ground and still potentially get a 4 excuse me?

ok. Im no analyzer but from looking at that score sheet...in some categories you can legit suck and still score well...you can drop a stunt t0 the ground and still potentially get a 4 excuse me?

ETA: Nevermind, ignore me.

Yup. MA cheer is all screwed up, it's run by the MSSA, which is the school administration, while all other sports are under MIAA the actual administration for athletics :(

Yup. MA cheer is all screwed up, it's run by the MSSA, which is the school administration, while all other sports are under MIAA the actual administration for athletics :(

Which is silly, because cheer is technically a sport in MA I believe.

That score skill grid looks way more conclusive than the one we have in VA. Down here it is very grey - you can score in the max range by having a one legged extended stunt. That's it. Crazy, right?

But here is what I've noticed in my years of coaching HS cheer - judging is subjective to who you're competing against. Example - I competed my HS team at an invitational in late September and scored a 260 out of 300. We came in 2nd of 13 teams. The competition was tough and the scores were high. Fast forward to the next weekend I am against 3 other teams, not as much skill across the board and we score at 252. Fast forward to districts - 9 teams, top 4 advance. We come in 4th with a score of 227. Fast forward next week to regionals - top 4 make it and we score a 215. Reason I was given is that judging is subjective to who and what you're competing against. I call BS on that because to me - a routine is a routine and if nothing is changed in it - how can a judge trained on the same score sheet legit give you that much lower? Makes no sense...

Back