OT Illegal-immigrants-floods-rio

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
There was an article I just came across today that they are potentially bringing 600 of the unaccompanied children up to our joint-base in Washington. It says that many of the kids left dangerous situations because they will be safer here. Now I feel like an a$$ for wanting them to be sent back but I'm with @HeresAThought I want to be compassionate but no keep them all here.

Feds consider JBLM for immigrant children |
KING5.com Seattle
**according to this article, 47,000 kids have come through since October.

I worry about how we will provide homes for all these children. The foster care system is already a mess and unable to find homes for all the children currently in need. We need some solutions and I do not have any answers.

I worry about how we will provide homes for all these children. The foster care system is already a mess and unable to find homes for all the children currently in need. We need some solutions and I do not have any answers.
No one does, and that is the problem. I cannot imagine as a mother feeling there is no other option other than sending my 10 year old unaccompanied in an attempt to cross into the US in hopes of a better life. But they (our social services system) really need to figure out something fast, because as you said, our foster care system for our US kids is barely a working model right now.

As for the comment by the woman who said she was a princess in the DR but a servant here, please just go back to the DR. If you are complaining that you had it better in your home country then why stay here. I have little compassion when I hear that.

CPS is advertising for 14,000 guardian families and telling them there will be no compensation for taking in these kids. I can vouch for that as we have been caring for a child basically left at my sisters door for 9 months without any state assistance. At least they are being upfront before people get involved.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

CPS is advertising for 14,000 guardian families and telling them there will be no compensation for taking in these kids. I can vouch for that as we have been caring for a child basically left at my sisters door for 9 months without any state assistance. At least they are being upfront before people get involved.

Usually they offer a small amount of compensation to help with food, clothes, normal expenses, etc. I wonder why they changed that and how they plan to find all these homes. What a mess. :(

I wish I had the funds and room to do it. I would love to be able to do this it would be such a incredible experience. To give those kids something even if it's just temporary that they could love and grow from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually they offer a small amount of compensation to help with food, clothes, normal expenses, etc. I wonder why they changed that and how they plan to find all these homes. What a mess. :(

My guess would be that they changed it since they are being proactive about realizing they don't have enough resources to adequately cover everyone. Props to them for being honest about it instead of making false promises or changing the system half way through.

No one does, and that is the problem. I cannot imagine as a mother feeling there is no other option other than sending my 10 year old unaccompanied in an attempt to cross into the US in hopes of a better life. But they (our social services system) really need to figure out something fast, because as you said, our foster care system for our US kids is barely a working model right now.

As for the comment by the woman who said she was a princess in the DR but a servant here, please just go back to the DR. If you are complaining that you had it better in your home country then why stay here. I have little compassion when I hear that.

I didn't view her comment as a complaint, it was just honest insight from her perspective. She also said that she was sitting on a park bench trying to learn English which is 1. more than a lot of people that come here do and 2. Indicates that shes actually trying to better herself; seek better employment....which is a lot more than many Americans are doing.... I see plenty walk into the library every day to use the computers to "fill" our applications to "say" that they are looking for "work" so that they can continue getting "benefits".

I also know she didn't mean a literal princess..in any capacity...I think she just bought into the myth (which she said her family told her) that life is better in America which isn't the truth. What she needs to do is tell other people to not believe the hype.

Her statement makes me wonder how bad it is for those other countries that are sending children unaccompanied to the US. Is being by yourself at like the age of 10 in a foreign country really better? I know they're going through a terrible struggle....but dang

I didn't view her comment as a complaint, it was just honest insight from her perspective. She also said that she was sitting on a park bench trying to learn English which is 1. more than a lot of people that come here do and 2. Indicates that shes actually trying to better herself; seek better employment....which is a lot more than many Americans are doing.... I see plenty walk into the library every day to use the computers to "fill" our applications to "say" that they are looking for "work" so that they can continue looking for benefits.

I also know she didn't mean a literal princess..in any capacity...I think she just bought into the myth (which she said her family told her) that life is better in America which isn't the truth. What she needs to do is tell other people to not believe the hype.

Her statement makes me wonder how bad it is for those other countries that are sending children unaccompanied to the US.
I hear you. There is a big difference if it was mentioned in passing and not as a complaint. She can stay then ;).
I do think the conditions in many of the countries sending their children here are abysmal and the unsubstantiated myth of a better life in the US far surpasses any future they can envision for their children. I am scared that we are going to hear of more people taking advantage of these children because there is virtually no one to protect them from the hands of people will less than honorable intentions.

I hear you. There is a big difference if it was mentioned in passing and not as a complaint. She can stay then ;).
I do think the conditions in many of the countries sending their children here are abysmal and the unsubstantiated myth of a better life in the US far surpasses any future they can envision for their children. I am scared that we are going to hear of more people taking advantage of these children because there is virtually no one to protect them from the hands of people will less than honorable intentions.

Makes me sick to think about it. All of those kids sent here aren't accounted for. There's no way. Who knows what kind of sick person scooped them up.

I really don't know what the answer to this situation can possibly be....

My brother and his family are missionaries in Guatemala City. They preach on the streets to kids like the ones coming across the border. Their lives are terrible. 10-12 year old girls are pushed into prostitution and they are sniffing fumes and doing drugs at a very young age as well. They live in something call the "bus terminal".

Here is a link to his missionary mission website and their link to pictures of their work--
The Street Revolution - Bringing an End to Homelessness in Guatemala
The Street Revolution (La Revolucion de la Calles) - Mixco, Guatemala, Guatemala - Mission - Photos | Facebook

Living conditions:
10349136_588653011233596_5069517279908823041_n.jpg

I need to clarify...I do not think it is the US's responsibility to take care of these children, but this is what their parents are trying to get them away from.

My brother and his family are missionaries in Guatemala City. They preach on the streets to kids like the ones coming across the border. Their lives are terrible. 10-12 year old girls are pushed into prostitution and they are sniffing fumes and doing drugs at a very young age as well. They live in something call the "bus terminal".

Here is a link to his missionary mission website and their link to pictures of their work--
The Street Revolution - Bringing an End to Homelessness in Guatemala
The Street Revolution (La Revolucion de la Calles) - Mixco, Guatemala, Guatemala - Mission - Photos | Facebook

Living conditions:
10349136_588653011233596_5069517279908823041_n.jpg

I need to clarify...I do not think it is the US's responsibility to take care of these children, but this is what their parents are trying to get them away from.

Oh my gosh, prayers and blessings for your brother and family. Thank God for people like them.

Back