OT Illegal-immigrants-floods-rio

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Unfortunately, United States have set us up to be the "world's babysitter, if you think about it, we have this huge statue that NJ and NY argue over, which by the way is in NJ, that tells all immigrants to come here and promised to be fed, protected and care for- The Statue of Liberty. I really do not see this situation any differently than when the Irish, Italians and all of those Europeans came to this country for a chance for better lives. Only different is now we have a different group coming for opportunities that United States promised through that 'Statue of Liberty'- motto "Send me your tired and Poor" By accepting that gift from France 100+ years ago, we opened ourselves to be the World's Savior.

Side note: Btw, if you and your children are vaccinated against most diseases and healthy, it is the unhealthy and unvaccinated people who are most in danger of these illegals that are coming in with diseases, which in my opinion is a form of propaganda to incite fear and undertones of racism against the illegal immigrants.
There is a big difference. The Irish, Italians and other Europeans (including my ancestors) were not sending their kids illegally across the border (or across the Atlantic) and hoping that the US would just take care of them. They were entering the country legally, and very often it was just the husbands, older brothers and men who came here first, leaving their wives and rest of the family behind, so that they could find a job and make enough money to then bring everyone else over.

What you just demonstrated is how easy immigration was in this country since your ancestors were able to do it. After your ancestors immigrated to this country, we had gazillion laws that toughened access to entering this country, particularly after 9/11. Decades ago it was the men who immigrated to this country and were given benefits that help them to start businesses, get homes, etc... but later, the Chinese came and they were able to find work, mostly cheap labor building the rails, etc. and they too were given benefits because at the time these people were needed and we had a thriving economy, but soon as the country economy started to slump, (Depression) which suddenly it is because of all the immigrants we allow into country and the cries are now lets close up the borders to keep them out. Now, like I said before, the new immigrants are no different from the immigrants from the past, however, these immigrants are dealing with tougher immigrant laws and a downturned economy that makes it even more difficult to come over to this country. These immigrants want the same thing a better life, opportunities and most of these immigrants are upstanding and hard working individuals, but because of propaganda we, Americans only hear about small numbers who are receiving benefits, I know, many immigrants who are hardworking and work more than 16 hour days and many who are doing nothing different from other immigrants from the past, sending money home to support their families.

CheerBank, you mentioned about children who are being sent over ALONE to feed off us Americans, but what I hearing and sensing are sadly that the immigration laws have become so stringent that Parents have gave up that dream of a better life for themselves, but still want that better life for their child. Think about it, what sane mother will send their child away, unless they strongly believe that this is the best thing for that child. Kind of remind me of that bible story of Moses being placed in a basket on the Nile to only be rescue by the Pharaoh's Sister and a better life.

Honestly, I don't buy it. The culture of wanting to come to this country, work, and make a better life that predominated the Ellis Island era just doesn't exist in those crossing the border today. Most are looking to have our welfare system support them. The parents sending their kids here to feed off the system are not sane responsible parents who care about their children. They are being told in their home country that this is the thing to do. It is being marketed as a solution to their own problems with an overburdened economy. We are not their bailout. We cannot sustain the numbers flooding into this country, and frankly I feel like much of this has been orchestrated as a smoke screen to get teenage gang members and drugs across the border and to deflect attention from other issues. If you want to cone to this country, do so legally. Get a job, learn the language, become a citizen. Most who come here are not interested in any of that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Honestly, I don't buy it. The culture of wanting to come to this country, work, and make a better life that predominated the Ellis Island era just doesn't exist in those crossing the border today. Most are looking to have our welfare system support them. The parents sending their kids here to feed off the system are not sane responsible parents who care about their children. They are being told in their home country that this is the thing to do. It is being marketed as a solution to their own problems with an overburdened economy. We are not their bailout. We cannot sustain the numbers flooding into this country, and frankly I feel like much of this has been orchestrated as a smoke screen to get teenage gang members and drugs across the border and to deflect attention from other issues. If you want to cone to this country, do so legally. Get a job, learn the language, become a citizen. Most who come here are not interested in any of that.

Agreed.

Many are using the "they are fleeing from violence" excuse for these people, when in reality the violence in those countries has gone down. Majority of them are coming for amnesty and for us to take of them, which we do not have the means to do at this point.

We cannot even care for the huge number of homeless children we already have in this country, and yet our government wants us to take care of thousands of illegals with money the US does not have? It's not right.

Only different is now we have a different group coming for opportunities that United States promised through that 'Statue of Liberty'- motto "Send me your tired and Poor" By accepting that gift from France 100+ years ago, we opened ourselves to be the World's Savior.

That is not even close to being the motto of the country.

Also, immigrants in Ellis Island who were unaccompanied minors or diseased were turned away and returned to their country of origin. This is not a new policy.

Think of it like this. Say I'm a 15 year old growing up in a violent, unsafe state of the USA. If I were to show up unaccompanied in a different, safer part of the country, attempting to claim some sort of refugee status, not only would I not be allowed to stay there, but I would be sent back to my parents and they would probably be prosecuted for child endangerment. The case with these unaccompanied minors crossing the US border should not be any different.

Heck, there have been numerous cases of American parents who have been straight-up arrested and jailed for lying about their home addresses to send their children to better schools in different school districts. Yet these children who cross the border get to go to school in Texas and it's no big deal.

I don't get it.

What you just demonstrated is how easy immigration was in this country since your ancestors were able to do it. After your ancestors immigrated to this country, we had gazillion laws that toughened access to entering this country, particularly after 9/11. Decades ago it was the men who immigrated to this country and were given benefits that help them to start businesses, get homes, etc... but later, the Chinese came and they were able to find work, mostly cheap labor building the rails, etc. and they too were given benefits because at the time these people were needed and we had a thriving economy, but soon as the country economy started to slump, (Depression) which suddenly it is because of all the immigrants we allow into country and the cries are now lets close up the borders to keep them out. Now, like I said before, the new immigrants are no different from the immigrants from the past, however, these immigrants are dealing with tougher immigrant laws and a downturned economy that makes it even more difficult to come over to this country. These immigrants want the same thing a better life, opportunities and most of these immigrants are upstanding and hard working individuals, but because of propaganda we, Americans only hear about small numbers who are receiving benefits, I know, many immigrants who are hardworking and work more than 16 hour days and many who are doing nothing different from other immigrants from the past, sending money home to support their families.

CheerBank, you mentioned about children who are being sent over ALONE to feed off us Americans, but what I hearing and sensing are sadly that the immigration laws have become so stringent that Parents have gave up that dream of a better life for themselves, but still want that better life for their child. Think about it, what sane mother will send their child away, unless they strongly believe that this is the best thing for that child. Kind of remind me of that bible story of Moses being placed in a basket on the Nile to only be rescue by the Pharaoh's Sister and a better life.
It was not easy by any means. They had to have a family member already living in the US who was willing to sponsor them. They had to prove they had a job lined up and a place to live. The difference is that these laws were enforced. People could not even get passage on ships without this. My ancestors (and others who came at the same time) felt blessed to be able to be in a country where they weren't being persecuted for their religion and starving because there was just not enough food. They believed that hard work, learning the native language, and education for their children was of the utmost importance. I do not feel that the same values exist nowadays across all immigrant groups.

I feel for all the parents who want a better life for their children and see sending them alone up to the US in the hopes that they will be allowed in as the only chance for them to have a better life. But as others have said, our country cannot handle our own children currently in the foster system. We can barely support our own people who are struggling to make ends meet, many of whom are existing below the poverty level. How can we integrate these people into our society and deem them a priority over those who are born here to US citizens?

I strongly believe that the US needs to take a much stronger stance on illegal immigrants, children and adults alike. I also think US citizenship should not automatically be granted to someone just because they are born here. If your parent is here illegally, you should not automatically have citizenship.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Saw this in twitter updates "about to have a stroke trying to hold back from unleashing on the illegal immigrant thread on fierceboard..." Don't hold back, tell us what you really think!

Saw this in twitter updates "about to have a stroke trying to hold back from unleashing on the illegal immigrant thread on fierceboard..." Don't hold back, tell us what you really think!

That person already posted on here...

It was not easy by any means. They had to have a family member already living in the US who was willing to sponsor them. They had to prove they had a job lined up and a place to live. The difference is that these laws were enforced. People could not even get passage on ships without this. My ancestors (and others who came at the same time) felt blessed to be able to be in a country where they weren't being persecuted for their religion and starving because there was just not enough food. They believed that hard work, learning the native language, and education for their children was of the utmost importance. I do not feel that the same values exist nowadays across all immigrant groups.

I feel for all the parents who want a better life for their children and see sending them alone up to the US in the hopes that they will be allowed in as the only chance for them to have a better life. But as others have said, our country cannot handle our own children currently in the foster system. We can barely support our own people who are struggling to make ends meet, many of whom are existing below the poverty level. How can we integrate these people into our society and deem them a priority over those who are born here to US citizens?

I strongly believe that the US needs to take a much stronger stance on illegal immigrants, children and adults alike. I also think US citizenship should not automatically be granted to someone just because they are born here. If your parent is here illegally, you should not automatically have citizenship.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

Guess What! CheerBank, Surprisingly, I agree with many of your statements. However, US have set the tone to be the World's Savior and have not put in place laws to address inadequacy and scarcity of resources to give to those that are already citizens in this country. Yet, it is hard to enforce any immigration laws when we have different political interests acting on what benefit them in the moment. Right now, we have politicians continuously flip-flop on anything and everything concerning immigration policies and it is the American people who are feeling the brunt of the immigrants coming into the country that do not have the resources to support themselves; it is easy for Americans to point the finger at the immigrants and blame them, but these same immigrants have seen groups before them being welcomed into the US and frankly, not every early immigrant groups that came in were stellar citizens and did broke many laws, but thankfully we Americans do not lump all these immigrants into one group because of the bad ones that came before them. There are many Mexicans or the immigrants who are coming from Central and South America that are standing out in front of Home Depot waiting to be pick up to work (day laborers) and I know and actually talked to many who are migrant workers that pick our vegetables and fruits and many of these people are working long hours and working for low wages ($2.00 per hour) and do not receive government benefits. Too many of us are too fast to lump all the new immigrants into 1 category - plagues to our society and welfare cheats, but most are nothing but hard-working people.

Last edited:
I am very confuse when it comes to FierceBoard. The topic of Immigration is a personal stance and everyone have their opinions on the topic, many are writing on their upbringing or life circumstances, I might disagree with CheerBank or any number of you on the topic, but I really do not think that this is a topic that someone should be able to randomly vote a dislike ranking, why not come forward and tell us why you dislike what we said...

I am very confuse when it comes to FierceBoard. The topic of Immigration is a personal stance and everyone have their opinions on the topic, many are writing on their upbringing or life circumstances, I might disagree with CheerBank or any number of you on the topic, but I really do not think that this is a topic that someone should be able to randomly vote a dislike ranking, why not come forward and tell us why you dislike what we said...
I can't see how many dislikes I received from my phone aside from the first one which I saw earlier, but thank you. We need a "disagree" rating that is not negative rather than just a "dislike". There have been more than a few times I have disagreed with the content of a post but that has not been a good enough reason for me to give someone a negative rating.

ETA: It is the same one as before.

Last edited:
I get all the arguments on how this is bad for our country but I can't get past the point that these are children! Little ones that had the unlucky draw to be born in an impoverished country.

There are billions of children all over the world without basic necessities. Sadly, we don't have the resources to help them all. If their parents all just sent them to this country for us to take care of, there would be nothing left to give them. It's sad, but we just cannot take care of everyone. I would love to go to the local children's home and take them all home with me, but if I did pretty soon we would ALL be living in a cardboard box. Instead we make donations, take school supplies and uniforms at back to school tine, toys at Christmas ect because that is what we are capable of doing to help. The United Sates in nor capable of taking in all of Central America's children either.

Back