Injuries/ Getting Back To Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 45745

About two years ago I had to quit cheer because I have a bulging disc in my lower back from basing. It's mostly healed, other than mild pain every so often if I lift something wrong or do something to aggravate it, but nothing serious.

While I miss cheer, i probably wouldn't go back to it. However, I really want to start tumbling again.

I really haven't stretched much in these past two years. I have most of my leg flexibility, but almost no back flexibility.

Any stretches/conditioning I could do to stretch my back and strengthen my core without hurting it again?

I can't speak much for back flexibility, I've got vertebrae that are more or less anchored together with things you'd probably find in Aisle 12 at Home Depot. However I'm sure working your bridge would greatly help with you flexibility. Maybe even try standing with your back facing the wall and walk with your hands down into a bridge, and when walking back up again. I really don't stretch my back for that type of flexibility.

However planks, side planks ect are great for working your core, I'm a fan of hanging upside down on the monkey bars at the park and doing sit-ups, v-sits ect.

I would try to go to an open gym somewhere and ease back into things. Definitely make sure you're stretching well!

Back