All-Star International Team In Wrong Age Div. At Uca. Whose Responsibility Is It?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

KikiD22

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
So, after some healthy debate with my cheer mom friends on this topic, I'm curious to know the thoughts of those on the Fierceboard. I am going to say to start out, however, that I am in no way bashing this team because I am pretty certain that this was an unfortunate language barrier/miscommunication issue. In fact, I feel kind of bad for them, but more on that in a moment.

At UCA Nationals this past weekend, a team took the floor in the Mini 1 division from Colombia with athletes that were clearly not Mini-aged. To quote one of my not-so-subtle cheer mom friends, "That Mini has bigger boobs than me!" While there were probably 3 athletes that could have been Mini-aged, the remainder looked to be in the 12-16 age range. In case you don't believe me, here is a link to the video from Saturday:

Now here is what we've been debating: Whose responsibility would it have been to prevent this from happening? I am assuming this team was disqualified because they were omitted from the Day 1 standings and did not compete during their time slot on Day 2. That's part of why I feel bad for them. I know how expensive this trip was coming from inside the U.S., so I can't even imagine the expense coming from a foreign country and not even getting to compete both days.

Is it the responsibility of the staff/coaches of the team itself and a "too bad, so sad" situation for entering the wrong division? Or, should some of the responsibility fall onto UCA/Varsity for allowing this team to take the floor in what was clearly the wrong division? Are there/should there be checks in place to prevent this from happening? Keep in mind, this is an international team. One person I discussed it with actually compared it to the Bankok "situation" from Worlds last year.

I personally think it's a little of both. I think that when a program enters a competition, it is their responsibility to know all the rules, regulations, etc. In other words, they need to do their homework. However, I also think that it is the responsibility of the EP to help guide and assist programs to a certain extent, especially in this case in which it is the first year UCA is advertising this event as an "International Championship."

So, I'm curious to know the thoughts of the Fierceboard community on this. Again, I'm not blaming anyone here, because I really think it was an unfortunate error. However, if it could happen so obviously though at a prestigious event like UCA, who's to say it couldn't/isn't happening at other events as well? Discuss.

Since the link won't work, in case anyone wants to see, the team is Colegio Gimnasio Los Nogales. They are listed under the Level 1 videos on the Varsity site.

I think that both parties should be held accountable, BUT I will say the event producers have MORE of a responsibility to keep track of the athletes ages and ensure that each team is LEGALLY competing. If language was an issue, I would think that this international team thought that mini probably meant skill level and not age. Even so, as an event producer I would want all teams to compete LEGALLY!!!! This is a problem at cheer events nationwide. Some shady gyms let older and aged out kids compete in divisions that they shouldnt and it flys because event producers don't take the needed steps to verify EACH athlete.

That whole Bangkok mess just makes my skin crawl! Competing with 15 guys when the legal limit is 12, spotting tumbling on the floor, illegal dismounts, etc and still taking first place?!?! WHAT A SHAM! GymTyme Open 6 hits perfect and competes legally yet they tie with Bangkok?! I DONT BUY IT! That was such a blatent business move and everybody knows it. I guess I'm kind of bitter because if the team I was with was able to take 15 guys THEN I WOULD'VE MADE THE FLOOR FOR WORLDS! LOL, but thats an entirely different topic.

So to sum it up the event producers were dead wrong to let this team compete legally and still keep their money, and the world knows Bangkok shouldn't have tied for 1st with Gymtyme.

*WALKS OUT*

If I go to China and break a law that I didn't know existed because of the language barrier, who's fault is it?

I think that is my answer.

I am 99.9% in agreement with this, which I probably wasn't too clear on in my original post. My only hesitation is this team competed in the session that was Tiny 1 & Mini 1 teams (Junior 1 started later), and someone had to have noticed these big kids warming up during that time. I agree that the consequences should stand at this point regardless, but maybe it could have been prevented?

I am 99.9% in agreement with this, which I probably wasn't too clear on in my original post. My only hesitation is this team competed in the session that was Tiny 1 & Mini 1 teams (Junior 1 started later), and someone had to have noticed these big kids warming up during that time. I agree that the consequences should stand at this point regardless, but maybe it could have been prevented?

Yes. With an athlete registration system.

My opinion is that it is the responsibility of the coach/gym owner TO THEIR ATHLETES to make sure their team is in the correct division. It is the responsibility of the EP TO THEIR CUSTOMERS (the other teams at the comp) to make sure each team is in the correct division. So as far as this team coming all the way to the USA to compete and being in the wrong division, that's their fault. If UCA had allowed that team to compete in Mini 1 and didn't do anything about it, that would be UCA's fault. It sounds to me like UCA did their job...

I would like to think it was just an unfortunate error on behalf of the team. Didn't anybody at UCA bother to actually read the registration forms? I do agree with Kingston above, but kind of wished that the situation would have just been used as a lesson for the coaches/owners of the team in questions, and UCA move them into the rankings for the proper division, and call it a day.

If UCA had allowed that team to compete in Mini 1 and didn't do anything about it, that would be UCA's fault. It sounds to me like UCA did their job...

That's a very good point, and I didn't think about it that way. It isn't like UCA didn't go anything, since they did disqualify the team after Day 1.

I would like to think it was just an unfortunate error on behalf of the team. Didn't anybody at UCA bother to actually read the registration forms? I do agree with Kingston above, but kind of wished that the situation would have just been used as a lesson for the coaches/owners of the team in questions, and UCA move them into the rankings for the proper division, and call it a day.

I think this would have been fair as well...

SOMEONE should have spoken up and moved this team to the correct division. I agree it is the responsibility of the coach (if we are going to travel internationally to compete then I WOULD be doing my homework and asking for help) to know what age/level division they should be in.
That being said, if I'd been working that warm up room I'd have given somebody a heads up. They could've been moved.

I don't understand why people can't make things happen sometimes.

Who knows the whole story? Maybe they DID try to move them and they felt like "we can't compete with juniors/seniors so we are just going to go to Disney World and have fun".

Stranger things have happened.

Ah! This just reminded me of another detail I forgot to mention. There was another team from Colombia listed in Mini 1 on the online schedule and in the program book. However, when they took the floor on Saturday, they were announced as Small Gym Youth 1, not Mini 1. So, it was caught ahead of time, by someone, that this other team was in the wrong division but not the one in my original post.

Back