All-Star Multiple Arrests For Local Gym Owner!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The problem I had was with the comment about it being disgusting and inexcusable. I also think it was a bit harsh to insinuate that keeping someone with a DUI away from children and even FAMILY is somehow okay. What if the person who made the mistake was one of her parents? Would she be so quick to cut them off? I'm just a forgiving person and I try to judge people by who they are on the inside, not by the mistakes they make. Genuinely good people will inevitably make mistakes and no one deserves to be treated like a leper unless the person treating them that way can look within themselves and say "I'm perfect."
She didn't say that the person should be cut off, she said she would UNDERSTAND if her sister didn't want to leave her with her kids. She's not saying that everyone should cut people off - but she wouldn't blame them if they did.
Eta: cheermom1969 and I were typing at the same time :oops:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, on the 1,000th day, I am eternally grateful that I live in NYC, where subways and cabs are a thing, and the only person I hurt while stumbling home drunk is myself when I trip like a loser down the subway stairs at 3am. Because I am a classy, classy person.

I don't know what gym this person is from, and I'm pretty clear on the state, but in this day and age I do judge people for DUI/DWIs. There's just no excuse- you know better, you know the risks. You're risking other people, and being horrendously selfish- you're essentially saying 'My right to do what I want trumps your right to safety.' It might be a mistake, but it's not really an accident. This might also have to do with the fact that my best friend was hit by a drunk driver in a truck while he was walking to a friend's car and is now permanently damaged and in the middle of a massive lawsuit...but yeah.

As a coach, that's so disappointing. I can't imagine willingly putting your own life as well as the lives as everyone around you at risk. Nothing infuriates me more than when people drive drunk.

@omgitssydthekid - I find your stance on DUI's completely harsh and unrealistic. You can by law, in most states, get a DWI legally for blowing over I believe a .04, despite the legal limit being .08. I am fine saying this as it is public record and honestly, I own up to EACH AND EVERY mistake I have. I have a DWI. I got it driving home from a dinner back in 2011 where I had two beers and a celebratory shot (with dinner); mind you I am beefy and cornfed so two beers and one shot have no effect on me based on my nightly rituals, despite being barely over the legal limit. I did learn that just because I may not be "Drunk" doesn't mean by law they see it that way. I also was embarrassed and saddened that having that on my record takes away from being the "perfect" role model to my athletes, but now looking back, I can tell you FIRST HAND that having ANY amount of alcohol in your system, you can end up paying a lot of fines and can share that with my older athletes among convos I am not supposed to hear. I agree with the poster that said you are young with several life experiences to learn, so I wont take what you say to heart, but I do have a few points I would like to make.

1. I am not disgusting.
2. I am not irresponsible.
3. I am still a DAMNED GOOD role model around kids.

Last edited:
@omgitssydthekid - I find your stance on DUI's completely harsh and unrealistic. You can by law, in most states, get a DWI legally for blowing over I believe a .04, despite the legal limit being .08. I am fine saying this as it is public record and honestly, I own up to EACH AND EVERY mistake I have. I have a DWI. I got it driving home from a dinner back in 2011 where I had two beers and a celebratory shot (with dinner); mind you I am beefy and cornfed so two beers and one shot have no effect on me based on my nightly rituals, despite being barely over the legal limit. I did learn that just because I may not be "Drunk" doesn't mean by law they see it that way. I also was embarrassed and saddened that having that on my record takes away from being the "perfect" role model to my athletes, but now looking back, I can tell you FIRST HAND that having ANY amount of alcohol in your system, you can end up paying a lot of fines and can share that with my older athletes among convos I am not supposed to hear. I agree with the poster that said you are young with several life experiences to learn, so I wont take what you say to heart, but I do have a few points I would like to make.

1. I am not disgusting.
2. I am not irresponsible.
3. I am still a DAMNED GOOD role model around kids.

Maybe my story of blowing a .09 after social drinks at dinner is different, but a DWI is a DWI I suppose but only sharing there may be more details to it than being "white girl wasted" and driving home.

I think you're absolutely right. There is a misconception that you have to be drunk to get a DUI. But you're right in saying (and proving) that you can be not even tipsy and still get a DWI or DUI and I often do not think about when I hear about someone getting a DUI/DWI. It is unfortunate that there are not ways to further classify a DWI/DUI in terms of the severity. There is a huge difference in having two beers and having nine drinks. I apologize for my overly harsh generalization. There are no absolutes, and each situation needs to be looked at with an open mind.

(In case this comes off as sarcastic, it's not. I'm being sincere but I know that it can be hard to read emotion though a computer screen)

ETA: grammatical errors

Last edited:
I think you're absolutely right. There is a misconception that you can be not even tipsy and still get a DWI or DUI and I often do not think about when I hear about someone getting a DUI/DWI. It is unfortunate that there are not ways to further classify a DWI/DUI in terms of the severity. There is a huge difference in having two beers and having nine drinks. I apologize for my overly harsh generalization. There are no absolutes, and each situation needs to be looked at with an open mind.

(In case this comes of as sarcastic, it's not. I'm being sincere but I know that it can be hard to read emotion though a computer screen)

Like I said, I won't take what you said to heart, but hoping me shedding some light that there IS NO way to show severity can change your opinion on people with DUI's. In my mandated 10 hours of alcohol classes, I was told that 1 out of every 10 Americans over the age of 18 has or will have a DUI. That means for ever gay person, there is a person with a DWI (I kid, but I think that statistic is probably close). Thank you for your sincerity.

Nothing I said was pretend. It was real and I stand behind every word of it. I'm sure there are people from every age bracket who agree with what she wrote, teenagers and adults alike. I even agree with some of what she wrote.

The problem I had was with the comment about it being disgusting and inexcusable. I also think it was a bit harsh to insinuate that keeping someone with a DUI away from children and even FAMILY is somehow okay. What if the person who made the mistake was one of her parents? Would she be so quick to cut them off? I'm just a forgiving person and I try to judge people by who they are on the inside, not by the mistakes they make. Genuinely good people will inevitably make mistakes and no one deserves to be treated like a leper unless the person treating them that way can look within themselves and say "I'm perfect."

It's been many years since I've been 21, and the good Lord knows I've made mistakes that I never would have imagined making in my adult life, some that perhaps I wouldn't haven forgiven 15 years ago. Having more life experience has changed my perspective on many aspects of living, including the part where I try to be a little less judgmental.

I know this is easier said than done...You can bet I wouldn't be inviting a drunk driver who accidentally killed someone I love to my next birthday party, but I certainly wouldn't wish for his or her family or support system to abandon them either.
Sorry, but my child's safety trumps being understanding of someone's mistakes. I get what you are saying, but when a 21 year old is responsible for the safety of children in a potentially dangerous situation like cheer they are held to a higher standard IMO. I simply couldn't look the other way and let them continue to coach my child if I knew they were irresponsible enough to get behind the wheel while intoxicated and put other's lives at risk. A 40 year old who had a DUI as a college kid is a different story, assuming they have gotten their act together since.

I have had too many people in my family killed in DUI accidents. Getting behind the wheel with ANY alcohol in your system is IMO, irresponsible. ANY amount of alcohol can and does effect your response time and judgment, particularly is quickly unfolding situations like traffic accidents. Just because you are below the limit, doesn't mean you aren't impaired to some degree. If you have alcohol in your system, you are not as capable as you would be with no alcohol, period.

Last edited:
I'm so jealous of those city folk who have Uber, taxis, subways, and CitiBike at their disposal.
Yes, getting a dui here should be unheard of. It's not, but it should be - we have taxis, uber, Lyft, halo, trains/subway, buses, divvy bikes. You just should not need to drive here. Ever.

Other than that, I'm refraining from commenting in this thread. Carry on...

Back to the topic at hand...the request to get help for friends that were unable to leave this gym....and all of the dialogue that was supposed to come of this discussions...transparency about criminal records of owners and coaches and when it should be discussed etc...

Anyone else notice that OP threw their rock and hid their hand. Where is OP now? #wheredeyattho?

Exactly why I said I was weary of these type of discussions. She didn't want help. She didn't want to open a discussion. She wanted a public shaming

From what I understand the gym and staff are working to address the concerns and no one has to their knowledge formally requested a release for the reason that the OP stated. This does not mean the questions have not been raised by parents or athletes away from the gym without their knowledge, just that no one as of yesterday had requested it of any of the staff. So it is what @HeresAThought has said at this point.

ETA: I have many friends that work at this gym, as well as in that area.

Sorry, but my child's safety trumps being understanding of someone's mistakes. I get what you are saying, but when a 21 year old is responsible for the safety of children in a potentially dangerous situation like cheer they are held to a higher standard IMO. I simply couldn't look the other way and let them continue to coach my child if I knew they were irresponsible enough to get behind the wheel while intoxicated and put other's lives at risk. A 40 year old who had a DUI as a college kid is a different story, assuming they have gotten their act together since.

I have had too many people in my family killed in DUI accidents. Getting behind the wheel with ANY alcohol in your system is IMO, irresponsible. ANY amount of alcohol can and does effect your response time and judgment, particularly is quickly unfolding situations like traffic accidents. Just because you are below the limit, doesn't mean you aren't impaired to some degree. If you have alcohol in your system, you are not as capable as you would be with no alcohol, period.

Let's just say it was you who got the DUI because you had two glasses of wine and drove home from a restaurant because, after all, you can't sleep at a restaurant. You weren't tipsy, you didn't feel drunk, you weren't even driving erratically.

Would you continue to parent your child or throw the towel in and tell someone else to take over?

I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I'm by no means condoning endangering the lives of others.

And by the way, I'm so sorry you've had several people in your family all killed by drunk drivers. What are the chances of that? How horrible. I'd probably feel the same way.

Let's just say it was you who got the DUI because you had two glasses of wine and drove home from a restaurant because, after all, you can't sleep at a restaurant. You weren't tipsy, you didn't feel drunk, you weren't even driving erratically.

Would you continue to parent your child or throw the towel in and tell someone else to take over?

I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I'm by no means condoning endangering the lives of others.

And by the way, I'm so sorry you've had several people in your family all killed by drunk drivers. What are the chances of that? How horrible. I'd probably feel the same way.
I will never, ever drive with any alcohol in my system, nor will I ride with anyone who has been drinking. Call a cab, ride the bus, walk. If all else fails, the cops would rather take you home in an emergency than have you drive impaired. There is always another option. Sorry of I sound a little preachy about this, but I have lost 2 uncles and a cousin to drunk drivers.

Back