All-Star Multiple Arrests For Local Gym Owner!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think anyone is defending a DWI or saying that a DWI is okay in any capacity.

However a DWI doesn't necessarily make you a bad person and should be banned from working with children.

Like someone said you would be surprised at how many people you encounter in every day life have made the wrong decision to drive intoxicated...doctors, teachers, bankers, librarians (not me specifically tho), students, cashiers at Target etc. They're still capable of doing their jobs and a DWI offense doesn't make them a bad Person

Maybe I feel differently because I've had someone try to embarrass my friend online over a DUI charge that was DROPPED in the end all the while their own husband had numerous DUI charges under their belt

Which also goes back to an arrest does not a conviction make. and why I feel like mug shots should not be posted online

I agree with what you said. I don't think that a DWI makes you a bad person. (Unless you repeatedly are getting arrested for it. Then I think you are in jeopardy of me judging you.) And I don't think it should bar you from working with children. I'm a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. But, the way I read some of the posts sounded like they didn't think a DWI was that bad and I was a little shocked.

Trust me I am not talking about it in any forum but here. I'm just saying a lot of people are posting judgement without direct knowledge of this. I am just trying to get some correct info out there and to let people know that real people and kids are involved.
I don't need any more direct knowledge to know that I would NEVER leave my child in the care of anyone arrested for DWI recently. EVER, period. It is a thing with me and would definitely be a deal breaker. It means they are not responsible enough to be in charge of my child. It doesn't make them a bad person but it means that at this point in their lives they are making poor decisions that I cannot risk my child on. for me to overlook something like that it would have to be in the distant past and the person would have to have proven themselves.

I do get that there are real kids involved, and that it is hard to know how to deal and what to do. All I am saying I would have to take the winning reputation, the friends, the fact that you would be leaving a team out of the equation, and look objectively at if this person is in any shape to be around children. The fact that other coaches are there is not going to stop an owner from doing what they want. If they were to make bad choices in the gym, are these coaches really going to step in to stop their boss? Also, he/she is the oversight for safety in the gym. Are they in a state to be making good decisions about that? These are the things I would be considering when making the decision about staying, not if they were winning or were attached to a coach.

I don't think anyone is defending a DWI or saying that a DWI is okay in any capacity.

However a DWI doesn't necessarily make you a bad person and should be banned from working with children.

Like someone said you would be surprised at how many people you encounter in every day life have made the wrong decision to drive intoxicated...doctors, teachers, bankers, librarians (not me specifically tho), students, cashiers at Target etc. They're still capable of doing their jobs and a DWI offense doesn't make them a bad Person

Maybe I feel differently because I've had someone try to embarrass my friend online over a DUI charge that was DROPPED in the end all the while their own husband had numerous DUI charges under their belt

Which also goes back to an arrest does not a conviction make. and why I feel like mug shots should not be posted online

100% agree. I also think how the coach/gym handles this afterwards is almost as important as the charge itself. As someone else said, this could be a really great life lesson if discussed properly.

Still don't know who it is and still don't care. What I do care about is everyone telling me I can't talk about it because I don't have direct knowledge.
So we can't talk about rumors and we can't speculate and now we can't talk about public information? Sorry but I disagree 100%. And it would be a higher percentage if it was mathematically possible. We have direct knowledge of public arrests and public court cases, etc. If I want to post my opinion of that public information, then I will do so. Hell, we say worse stuff about uniforms and people say they would never let their kids be at a gym with a singlet but we can't say that about a DWI? Wrong.

**EPs should only be able to designate ONE competition as a "national".**

I agree with what you said. I don't think that a DWI makes you a bad person. (Unless you repeatedly are getting arrested for it. Then I think you are in jeopardy of me judging you.) And I don't think it should bar you from working with children. I'm a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. But, the way I read some of the posts sounded like they didn't think a DWI was that bad and I was a little shocked.
My daughter's math tutor had a DWI about 5-6 years ago. Did not lose his teaching license but lost his job as an administrator and essentially his teaching career because no school district will now hire him (which I am not disputing). He made an extremely poor decision and is lucky he did not hurt anyone because of it. This does not detract from the fact that he is a fabulous math teacher and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

Seriously, drinking and driving is inexcusable to me. Period. I know way too many young people who have been hit and killed by drunk drivers so maybe that's why my stance is so strong on this. And I don't have children (and more than likely won't for a long time) but that doesn't change my opinion. If I happened to get arrested for a DWI, I would not be offended if parents started pulling their children off of the teams I coach and I wouldn't be offended if my cousins didn't let me watch their kids anymore.

Drinking and driving isn't going to cause you to burst into flames and immediately be cast into the depths of Hell, but I would have a hard time forgiving someone who killed a person while driving under the influence. I'm 21 years old and I don't let myself or my friends drive drunk. I've gotten into fights with friends who do drive drunk because I care enough about them to not let them potentially destroy their life or the life of another person. I've driven 45 minutes to pick up wasted friends from parties and I would (and probably will have to) do it again. Those who do choose to drive under the influence should have to face the consequences. Especially if they are an adult who is in a position to be a role model for children.

I do feel bad for the families of this gym, I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for your child and family, no matter what that may be. I wish everyone involved in this situation luck.

ETA: I meant to quote posts but my phone screwed it up...sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else, but you are very young with limited life experience, and you have extremely limited/conservative perspective on many things. It by no means makes you a bad person..I'm sure you're a doll..but you are very judgy young miss! I do not even know who this post is about, but I certainly can tell you that a DUI or DWI does not make a person disgusting, nor does it give family members an automatic right to keep someone from seeing their relatives. You must sleep with a Bible ;) I jest. But really, no one is celebrating DUIs...I think people just realize that sometimes, smart, responsible, professional people make stupid mistakes because they're humans.

Seriously, drinking and driving is inexcusable to me. Period. I know way too many young people who have been hit and killed by drunk drivers so maybe that's why my stance is so strong on this. And I don't have children (and more than likely won't for a long time) but that doesn't change my opinion. If I happened to get arrested for a DWI, I would not be offended if parents started pulling their children off of the teams I coach and I wouldn't be offended if my cousins didn't let me watch their kids anymore.

Drinking and driving isn't going to cause you to burst into flames and immediately be cast into the depths of Hell, but I would have a hard time forgiving someone who killed a person while driving under the influence. I'm 21 years old and I don't let myself or my friends drive drunk. I've gotten into fights with friends who do drive drunk because I care enough about them to not let them potentially destroy their life or the life of another person. I've driven 45 minutes to pick up wasted friends from parties and I would (and probably will have to) do it again. Those who do choose to drive under the influence should have to face the consequences. Especially if they are an adult who is in a position to be a role model for children.

I do feel bad for the families of this gym, I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for your child and family, no matter what that may be. I wish everyone involved in this situation luck.

I remember when people were giving Buddy Valastro a pass for drinking and driving, but would they have been as forgiving if he had killed/paralyzed someone or destroyed their property?

You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else, but you are very young with limited life experience, and you have extremely limited/conservative perspective on many things. It by no means makes you a bad person..I'm sure you're a doll..but you are very judgy young miss! I do not even know who this post is about, but I certainly can tell you that a DUI or DWI does not make a person disgusting, nor does it give family members an automatic right to keep someone from seeing their relatives. You must sleep with a Bible ;) I jest. But really, no one is celebrating DUIs...I think people just realize that sometimes, smart, responsible, professional people make stupid mistakes because they're humans.

Ignore. I don't want to be "that fierce border"

Last edited:
I don't know who this thread is referring to or what gym this is even referring to but a DWI is a disgusting and horribly irresponsible crime. Since the owner (or coach I can't remember which it is in this case) was arrested for that specific crime just proves to me that they're too irresponsible to be around children. I would pull my hypothetical potential future kids from that program in a minute.

ETA: this post wasn't designed to attack you. I was mainly using it as a jumping off point.

When I was 5 I was in a head on collision with a drunk driver...my mom was driving and had me and my 2 sisters in the car. My mom lost all of the skin on the inside of her arm, my sister broke her leg, my other sister suffers from spouts of vertigo (and will for the rest of her life whenever her back is triggered) and I had my broviac (central line used for chemo) jolted out of my body making me unable to use it any longer. The drive recently found out his wife was leaving him and he drunk himself crazy, fell asleep and while he called from jail to apologize---he himself also a father, I still consider all the what ifs of that night. Thankfully my mom's car had broken down and we were in a rental, had we not been, no one would have survived.

For this reason, I can not and will not associate closely with anyone who has a DUI---whether there is an accident or not. My child would be gone...would it be easy? No. It wasn't even easy pulling my CP from her original gym when the Army said move, but it would be done. Period. That I can actually say.

To NC Mama: I understand the dilemma you're in, and I wish your gym the best, but he had no place around children in my opinion. Edited to add: At least right now. His judgment is clearly off and whether or not there are other coaches won't matter if he is ultimately in charge.

Last edited:
When I was 5 I was in a head on collision with a drunk driver...my mom was driving and had me and my 2 sisters in the car. My mom lost all of the skin on the inside of her arm, my sister broke her leg, my other sister suffers from spouts of vertigo (and will for the rest of her life whenever her back is triggered) and I had my broviac (central line used for chemo) jolted out of my body making me unable to use it any longer. The drive recently found out his wife was leaving him and he drunk himself crazy, fell asleep and while he called from jail to apologize---he himself also a father, I still consider all the what ifs of that night. Thankfully my mom's car had broken down and we were in a rental, had we not been, no one would have survived.

For this reason, I can not and will not associate closely with anyone who has a DUI---whether there is an accident or not. My child would be gone...would it be easy? No. It wasn't even easy pulling my CP from her original gym when the Army said move, but it would be done. Period. That I can actually say.

I understand the dilemma you're in, and I wish your gym the best, but he had no place around children in my opinion.

I agree with you, and just to be clear I'm not associated with the gym. I think it's a gym in North Carolina (not positive but fairly certain based on posters) and I'm from Kansas.

I'm so sorry for your experience (for lack of a better term), my heart breaks when I hear stories like yours.

I agree with you, and just to be clear I'm not associated with the gym. I think it's a gym in North Carolina (not positive but fairly certain based on posters) and I'm from Kansas.

I'm so sorry for your experience (for lack of a better term), my heart breaks when I hear stories like yours.

Sorry I edited, I didn't mean to make it seem that the last sentence was towards you. Take it from someone who has more life experience than I have ever wanted to have (my life is like a really bad Spanish Soap Opera) that it is okay to have certain things that you just don't budge on. My mother-in-law's husband had had multiple DUI's. While I like her, and while these convictions were 10+ years ago, I still will not leave my children around him unsupervised. I can't do it, and I won't do it, we all have our vices...DUIs are one of mine.

I remember when people were giving Buddy Valastro a pass for drinking and driving, but would they have been as forgiving if he had killed/paralyzed someone or destroyed their property?

I completely agree. I might be young with limited life experience but I don't think it's too much to ask for people to not drink and drive. My parents still offer to come pick me up if they know I'm going out and I haven't lived at home in almost three years. My roommates and I take turns being the DD because the potential consequences just aren't worth it.

People are passionate on both sides, not because anyone condones drinking and driving but, because people do get killed AND because we all have made stupid mistakes. We can play the "what if" game until the cows come home but, thank goodness, it sounds as though no one was hurt, he was arrested and there will be consequences (legally and with some of his customers). There will be some that will want to yank their child, him to lose his business and deem him irresponsible and unfit to be around kids. There will be others that are willing to trust the judicial system and its process. There is a lot of gray area between diabolical and sainthood, hangings and a free for all society. As an outsider, I'm willing to allow people to make the judgment call they see fit for their family.

I go back and forth how I feel about DUIs - I remember back when I was really young, it was really not a big deal to hear that someone's parent got pulled over for drinking and driving with the kid in the back seat (not in a seatbelt either of course) - the cops would give them a ticket and they would be on their way - much like a parent getting a speeding ticket would be nowadays w/ a kid in the back seat. Deadly accidents kept happening and over time attitudes changed, and stricter laws were put into place - still deadly accidents occurred, laws got even tougher (I think now you can get a DUI for having one drink if you weigh less than 200lbs) and now DUI's have got to the point where they are practically life-ruining. One would hope that there has been a significant reduction in DUI accidents though over the years - it would be interesting to see the statistics.

I often wonder if someday texting while driving will be the same way and that right now we are just in the beginning stages of the same cycle DUI's went through.

Back