All-Star Nca Day 2 Updates (saturday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's basic coed stunting safety. If she's falling release the feet and the flyer need to lean back so the base can catch the waist. They never released the feet so how do you have a hand to catch if it's attached to the foot. I guess it's the "save the stunt at all costs" that's costing basic safety procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was also surprised that the flyer held the heel stretch literally all the way to the ground, like she landed in the splits. I agree, I think people trying to save stunts is making falls worse.

It's basic coed stunting safety. If she's falling release the feet and the flyer need to lean back so the base can catch the waist. They never released the feet so how do you have a hand to catch if it's attached to the foot. I guess it's the "save the stunt at all costs" that's costing basic safety procedures.

My thoughts exactly, and even when she was falling she still held onto that heel stretch...... all I could think was, "Let go!! You need your hands to break your fall!!"

Glad to hear the girl on SMOED and the girl on Dream Allstars were both okay! Both incidents were very scary to watch :( props to NCA for stopping routines immediately with any slight sign of injury!

On another note - the cheer hangover is VERY real right now. Caffeine you tha real mvp

It's basic coed stunting safety. If she's falling release the feet and the flyer need to lean back so the base can catch the waist. They never released the feet so how do you have a hand to catch if it's attached to the foot. Even if she couldn't lean back grabbing her around the waist could have prevented her from face planting but you can't do that if you are attached to the foot. I guess it's the "save the stunt at all costs" that's costing basic safety procedures.

If that is the case, that they are trying to save the stunt at all costs to the point where they'd let a flyer fall hard on her face like that from extended height, I hate to say this, but I think the deductions should be harsher in that situation to encourage people to put the flyer's safety first. Almost like a facemask in the NFL.

If that is the case, that they are trying to save the stunt at all costs to the point where they'd let a flyer fall hard on her face like that from extended height, I hate to say this, but I think the deductions should be harsher in that situation to encourage people to put the flyer's safety first. Almost like a facemask in the NFL.
I agree! I think it should be that if any part of the flyers head hits the ground you should be slapped with a hefty safety deduction. I know there are accidents but there would be a lot more saving of the head if you slapped them with a deduction that is worse than a stunt fall. No flyer's head is worth saving one point on a deduction.

That smoed flyer WAS a trooper for getting back up like that and continuing w/ the routine like nothing happened. Another fall where I think event spotters could have prevented her from smacking her face like that, but last time I said that most on this board were very anti-spotter.

Spotters who are not intimately familiar with a routine generally cause more issues by being in the way than they help. I believe they are a net negative for safety - particularly in a world-class level 5 routine like SMOED.

It's basic coed stunting safety. If she's falling release the feet and the flyer need to lean back so the base can catch the waist. They never released the feet so how do you have a hand to catch if it's attached to the foot. Even if she couldn't lean back grabbing her around the waist could have prevented her from face planting but you can't do that if you are attached to the foot. I guess it's the "save the stunt at all costs" that's costing basic safety procedures.

i said that to my boyfriend when we were watching the video , i did not understand how she could actually fall on her face like that. It's like the basic rule of cheerleading, if it falls at some point you HAVE to let go of the foot or the flyer will be in real danger. I am all for saving stunts but there is a certain point where bases just have to let go, especially whenever the flyer is going forwards like that . And the Spotter standing behind the Stunt was also unfortunate, she should have stayed right nect to him to have a chance of catching her. That is how the PS Spotters here do it , they stand next to the base so they can catch in the front or back if necessary
I'm glad she is alright though

My thoughts exactly, and even when she was falling she still held onto that heel stretch...... all I could think was, "Let go!! You need your hands to break your fall!!"

I'm glad she is okay but I'm also glad she didn't use her hands to break her fall. She probably would have wound up with two broken elbows instead. I broke my arm when I was little from catching myself when I fell off my deck (not a tall deck by any means, maybe 18"). I get terrified any time I see an athlete try to catch themselves with their hands out of a stunt or tumbling pass because I've seen it happen and it's not pretty.

I'm glad she is okay but I'm also glad she didn't use her hands to break her fall. She probably would have wound up with two broken elbows instead. I broke my arm when I was little from catching myself when I fell off my deck (not a tall deck by any means, maybe 18"). I get terrified any time I see an athlete try to catch themselves with their hands out of a stunt or tumbling pass because I've seen it happen and it's not pretty.

I'd rather have a broken arm than a broken neck or even a severe concussion, a little extreme but it could happen. Using our hands to break a fall is a protective reaction built into our brain, kinda like a reflex. So most of the time people will do it without thinking.

Take it from me, two broken elbows is not a fun time.

Neither is a broken neck of it paralyzes you...Either way she shouldn't have had to catch herself at all! Release the feet and catch your flyers, it's simple really.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was, just responding to her comment. I think the biggest risk of broken arms is putting your arms behind you when you're falling backwards. I know it would be a risk to her arms, but I think if I were in that situation I would try to protect my face! Nobody should be put in that situation anyway - catch your flyers yall!

I wasn't trying to imply that it was, just responding to her comment. I think the biggest risk of broken arms is putting your arms behind you when you're falling backwards. I know it would be a risk to her arms, but I think if I were in that situation I would try to protect my face! Nobody should be put in that situation anyway - catch your flyers yall!

Oh I know you didn't mean it that! I am just angry we have to have this discussion at all! That is something you learn the first day of cheerleading, never let a flyer touch the ground. These falls should not be this scary. and really its the mentality of not letting a stunt fall that is putting stunts in these situations. Slap them with a safety violation and maybe they will learn that protecting your flyer is more important than saving a stunt that is pretty much not savable. If the flyers head touches that ground it should be a safety deduction. Period.

Oh I know you didn't mean it that! I am just angry we have to have this discussion at all! That is something you learn the first day of cheerleading, never let a flyer touch the ground. These falls should not be this scary. and really its the mentality of not letting a stunt fall that is putting stunts in these situations. Slap them with a safety violation and maybe they will learn that protecting your flyer is more important than saving a stunt that is pretty much not savable. If the flyers head touches that ground it should be a safety deduction. Period.

And a big safety deduction at that. If the flyer hits the ground before being caught mega points should be lost. It doesn't matter if it's the head or a hand. Catch yo' dang flyer!

Can I just say that I'm so in favor of harsher deductions all around. Imagine how it would change things if tumble busts were a solid 1 pt deduction. It would force teams to hit skills. And then maybe you wouldn't have first place teams who had 2 stunt falls and tumbling busts and 2 second place teams who had none.

And while we're at it, can we ammend this part of Varsity's point deduction ruling:

"UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT DEDUCTION
When a coach is in discussion with an official, other coaches, athletes and parents/spectators or on social media during the duration of the event they must maintain proper professional conduct. Failing to do so may result in a 2.0 deduction, removal of coach, or disqualification."

Hold people accountable for their actions. Social media is as much of a way of communicating as verbally voicing your opinion to the person next to you at an event.

Back