All-Star Nca/nda Reminder: Appropriate Choreography, Music, And Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 16, 2010
Coaches, Gym Owners, and Choreographers,
As you finish the first round of competitions this season, I wanted to remind anyone attending an upcoming NCA & NDA event, including NCA & NDA All-Star Nationals, that your choreography, music selection, and uniforms should be appropriate for “family-viewing”. If the judges determine a section of your routine to not meet our standards, a warning or deduction will be issued. I realize that NCA & NDA are stricter with this policy than almost all other event producers (a reputation we're actually OK with), but it should be the goal of everyone to make sure we are proud of all-star cheer and dance!

Remember, even today's most popular songs on the radio include sections and lyrics that are not necessarily appropriate by our company's standards. For example, “Gangnam Style” is being used in many routines, sometimes including parts of the chorus that feature the words “sexy lady”. The song itself isn’t inappropriate, but it might be a good idea to not highlight “sexy” during your routine.

Unfortunately, interpreting inappropriate choreography is subjective and “grey” at best. My best advice to you is, "if you are questioning the appropriateness, you should probably take it out."

Remember, this policy isn’t new to NCA & NDA. Creating a positive and healthy image for all-star cheer and dance will always be a priority. We’d like your continued partnership on this project as you work with the coaches and athletes at your gyms to ensure your routines are in compliance with these expectations!

what about the cover up rule? we had our first comp this season and many gyms did not have their athletes in shirts when walking around the convention center. i even saw athletes walking around outside the convention center with their half top. will there be deductions for that?

what about the cover up rule? we had our first comp this season and many gyms did not have their athletes in shirts when walking around the convention center. i even saw athletes walking around outside the convention center with their half top. will there be deductions for that?
At NCA, we will not be passing out deductions for teams walking around in half tops. That said, we will be proactively reminding coaches and athletes throughout the weekend of the policy.

At every event I've been to, I'd say the policy has been about 95% successful.

Since our program already wore cover ups years before this rule was implemented, I am wondering how much of the projected success will be from programs that were already doing it. Can't really call that compliance, even though I know somehow it will look that way.

Since our program already wore cover ups years before this rule was implemented, I am wondering how much of the projected success will be from programs that were already doing it. Can't really call that compliance, even though I know somehow it will look that way.
The truth is:
People that are against the policy are going to find reasons to label it 'unsuccessful.'
People that are for the policy are going to look reasons to label it 'successful.'

All I know is that I purposefully took a lap around the venue at 3 different times last weekend and, while I may have seen up to 3 athletes not covered up during downtime, as a general rule of thumb everyone was covered.

Call it compliance, status quo, or question it's success, but there's a noticeable difference out there.

The truth is:
People that are against the policy are going to find reasons to label it 'unsuccessful.'
People that are for the policy are going to look reasons to label it 'successful.'

All I know is that I purposefully took a lap around the venue at 3 different times last weekend and, while I may have seen up to 3 athletes not covered up during downtime, as a general rule of thumb everyone was covered.

Call it compliance, status quo, or question it's success, but there's a noticeable difference out there.

There were actually 2 programs not in compliance and I saw them everywhere. It honestly stuck out to me.

There were actually 2 programs not in compliance and I saw them everywhere. It honestly stuck out to me.

We have been to two competitions so far and there were a few teams at both not in compliance. Regardless to how I personally feel about the rule, it is a rule. Enforcement of rule however seems highly improbable UNTIL full tops come into effect in a couple of years. JMO.

Throw in its the first year of its existence. 4 years from now I bet adherence to the rule is much higher. Having that many people comply with it this quickly means it is not that heavily being protested.

As a parent I know that I have to pick my battles with my kids. I just think some programs are choosing not to pursue this particular battle when there are so many bigger battles to take on. JMHO though.

I think I vaguely remember a few years ago NCA putting the world out for college nationals that Britney Spear's "If you seek Amy" would NOT be allowed.

And I remember teams a few years ago having that "you spin me right round" song in their music. Really??

I think I vaguely remember a few years ago NCA putting the world out for college nationals that Britney Spear's "If you seek Amy" would NOT be allowed.

And I remember teams a few years ago having that "you spin me right round" song in their music. Really??
Yes, we sent out an email specifically requesting that you do NOT seek Amy in your routine. She was not good for you.

What's wrong with 'you spin me right round..." ?? Am I stupid for not understanding that one?

Back