All-Star Need Your Opinions On High School Cheer Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What is OVACs and how are they different from your state championships?

What is OVACs and how are they different from your state championships?
I think its the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference....I feel like that corner of the usa has wv, pa and ohio pretty much all touching so maybe they have an intrastate competition or something. I also was under the impression that Ohio is ground bound when it comes to cheer competitions for high school, that is why you see so many champions come out of that area in the non building divisions.

tumbling is worth 5 points on the score sheet.....thats it....... i think that might be the problem. although, there is an overall score which, with the right tumbling, correct technique, and tumbling positioned in places of the routine where it is eye catching, it would benefit more. i thought both teams looked great!!!

I liked the first team, a little sharper, kept it moving. The second team had some dead spots and girls were moving around during them and a few timing issues.

Both team are pretty evenly matched with talent however, the first team was clearly cleaner. As other have said on here, you can't say who should have won without seeing the score sheets, but based on overall affect and cleanness, I would pick the first team.

But what I am not understanding, is that if you don't like how the competition is run or how they score, why do you attend it?

Both routines stylistically are different, both teams are also really talented! Don't sweat, your team is still good, you DID win regionals and state.

I do not believe that we are just going to a competition and win, and my team by no means just expects to win. We had a lot of very tough competition this year, and are so grateful and proud of what we've accomplished. We work very very hard, just the same as every other team and would never put anothe team down.
The other team in this situation is very good, and I will never deny their talent or dedication no matter how big our rivalry is. The reason I posted this thread was that at least 3o people (no exaggeration) from other schools, some not even in our division, had come up to me after at awards saying we deserved to win.. and many more have contacted me via text and facebook and I wanted to see if it was just a valley thing, with everybody knowing the two schools and things about both schools, or if the competition was fine. There has always been contoroversy with the way the comp is/has been judged, and a lot of behind the scenes ties and issues that are involved. We have had a few issues with a couple of people this year. I am not downing anybody, or putting myself or my team on any kind of pedestal. A lot of teams have had issues with the OVAC, and do not attend the competition because of being "cheated" and "unfairly judged" and we wanted to see if this was anything worth complaining about. I wanted to see other's opinions that are not directly involved or live in the Ohio Valley. I am sorry if this offended anybody, and the reason I posted in the allstar section was because generally more people that would be willing to offer a knowledgable cheer opinion would read/post in allstar. I hope this doesnt in any way affect anybody views of my program, if you would like to know the full story behind this .. feel free to message me.

Both routines were very good, I liked the second better but its definitely a close call. The fact that you tumble on a basketball court still astonishes me

emhoss seems like there has been no definitive response here to support either position. I appreciate the clarification and I have to say your initial post felt to me like you were hoping to get validation of a being wronged at the OVAC. If you look at other threads here - consistent scoring across comps appears to be a hot topic right now in Allstar. And I agree with another poster - if you don't like how it is run and think it has questionable motives - then consider not attending next season.

I thought both teams were amazing and each had their own strengths. You should be proud of how your team performed!!!

I think its the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference....I feel like that corner of the usa has wv, pa and ohio pretty much all touching so maybe they have an intrastate competition or something. I also was under the impression that Ohio is ground bound when it comes to cheer competitions for high school, that is why you see so many champions come out of that area in the non building divisions.

Ohio is super goofy...depending on your conference you can stunt or if you get special permission or something along those lines. In my part of the state (PA border, northern area) very few teams stunt, but in the NW part of the state a good portion of them do. And for the regional and state competitions there is both mount and non-mount divisions.

I really think the white team was slightly better but thats just my opinion. And all you guys are hilarious. Tumbling on hardwood does not feel much different than a mat. At least to me it doesn't.
That may be true but I venture to say falling and landing on a gym floor feels different than falling onto a mat.

I recall another thread that said the rules for this comp was no touching each other, no jumping over each other, and some other ridiculous stuff. So stunting would be a no.

Back