All-Star New Rules Released Today?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

so what level / age / etc .... I found it vague and since I was not involved in all star last year maybe i'm just out of the loop

I think alot of this has to do with rec teams. The EPs will determine their own divisions and they can vary from levels 1-5 like allstar or be all sorts of wild stuff like 2.1 and 3.1. I personally prefer allstar but each to his own

so what level / age / etc .... I found it vague and since I was not involved in all star last year maybe i'm just out of the loop

EPs can decide what ages/levels they would like to offer in these divisions. Its kind of a free-for-all (which isn't that different than rec divisions at competitions, lol - EPs offer interesting divisions like rec 3.1 - stunts level 3, tumbling level 1. I'm not sure if all star prep would be allowed to have such divisions, but it looks like EPs are kind of given a lot of latitude in this category.)

EPs can decide what ages/levels they would like to offer in these divisions. Its kind of a free-for-all (which isn't that different than rec divisions at competitions, lol - EPs offer interesting divisions like rec 3.1 - stunts level 3, tumbling level 1. I'm not sure if all star prep would be allowed to have such divisions, but it looks like EPs are kind of given a lot of latitude in this category.)
Interesting .... thanks for the info

I keep seeing the highlighted areas on Jr age 14-under. Is that a change? I know I am new and have been living under a "no cheer" rock until a year ago but I thought that was already the age???
One of the changes for Junior (depending on Level) is that they're not splitting up the Co-Ed and All-Girl divisions. But Junior was always 14 & Under so that is probably why it's highlighted. And the number of athletes to 32 max.

Important to note that they went back to ALL divisions following the August 31 rule. That means the teams in the International divisions now have to be that age by August instead of December like this past year.

Important to note that they went back to ALL divisions following the August 31 rule. That means the teams in the International divisions now have to be that age by August instead of December like this past year.

For u.s. teams right? not non-u.s. teams at least thats what I think Im reading

For u.s. teams right? not non-u.s. teams at least thats what I think Im reading

US teams during the season, but international teams must follow it at worlds. At least that is how I understand it. The US teams had to follow the proper age guidelines during the regular season last year too I think and just at Worlds they could add the younger athletes. I don't think the change from this past year was part of the IASF but was from the ICU. I think that is what I am understanding. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Why oh why does it bother me when there are kids under 12 on a senior team? I understand all the arguements for why gyms do it, and I even agree with most of the arguements. But it still bugs me. I also think there should be a bottom limit on a Junior team (like age 8).

I'm so happy to see that they stuck with the bottom age for Senior teams. I was at a small gym in high school (definitely less than 75 kids) when they put the bottom age on Senior divisions the first time (around 2006-2007). We still managed to have a fine Senior Coed 4 team made up of kids age 10/11+ only.

So the new rules were finally released:

http://usasfrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/USASF-Rules-2012-13-updated-May-18-2012.pdf

It is interesting to note that now there are differences in tumbling skills allowed at levels 5 and 6 - the tumbling restrictions were only added to level 5.

I am actually excited that they didn't take the tumbling restrictions out of level 6. When the rules were first released that is one thing I said could be done in order to give those athletes somewhat of a chance to still be able to perform those skills. It also makes the differences in Level 5 and 6 more then just stunts and pyramids. This is probably one of the only things in a while that I have agreed with the USASF on. Maybe gyms that are capable of safely coaching a level 6 team will form one and the division within the US will grow.

No. 5 under General Safety is going to affect a lot of teams at big comps held in the convention centers and arenas. Worlds especially. Does concrete still count if it's carpeted???

No. 5 under General Safety is going to affect a lot of teams at big comps held in the convention centers and arenas. Worlds especially. Does concrete still count if it's carpeted???

That isn't a change from 2011-12. They just didn't unbold the number.

Back