All-Star Religion In The Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think those type of Atheists and/or Agnostics are just as bad as the people who attempt to shove any religion down someone's throat and who also judge you right out of the box if you so much as say you aren't a Christian and/or believe in God. See, there is already a misunderstood preconceived judgement regarding me based upon a couple of replies on a forum (in which I've never stated my religious or non religious beliefs) and there's the immediate defensiveness and assumptions by believers. Notice I've never once commented directly about a single member's religious beliefs in any negative way, yet I get immediately judged and assumed...AND I wind up getting someone else questioning what they perceive to be my beliefs based upon their assumption of my religious affiliation. How very interesting....

For the record, I was raised a Southern Baptist and my husband's father is an ordained minister for born again believers. I had to go to church every Sunday and very often regular Wednesday's since I was a very little child, up until I was 17. I have read the Bible in its entirety twice. I have also been immensely educated regarding numerous religions. Neither my husband or I currently hold any religious affiliations, but considering we both grew up in heavily Christian environments and our parents are staunch believers, we are still capable of respecting (to the utmost) any persons of any religious affiliation. My mother died a Christian and her belief in God helped her battle a very severe cancer for numerous years. I saw how much it helped her and meant to her, so I am not as ignorant as simply thinking believers are stupid (as you mentioned about your brother). I understand one of most humans basic needs require some type of belief. I only have a problem when you (collectively, not you specifically) start excluding others based upon their beliefs bc they're not similar, or bc they're gay, etc., and when it starts to divide families, countries, cause wars, genocide, etc. I've never considered the notion that any religion should be anything but peaceful...it's hard to conceive sometimes that religion has caused so many terrible things bc I prefer to associate them w/peacefulness (since most of their sacred texts advocate it)
and that is where the faithful part from the "RELIGIOUS" people...my backyard is way too covered is crap to call anyone stinky...I am not on this world to judge or say what's best for gays, straights, black, white or anything....it's all I can do to manage myself...let alone others...I love them all..as does God....I don't have to study...or research...God is in my heart...I feel HIM....and I do NOT feel it is needed to justify or judge others...or myself...mercy and grace...thats it

im not anti christian in the least bit i just dont want it forced upon me

and that is where the faithful part from the "RELIGIOUS" people...my backyard is way too covered is crap to call anyone stinky...I am not on this world to judge or say what's best for gays, straights, black, white or anything....it's all I can do to manage myself...let alone others...I love them all..as does God....I don't have to study...or research...God is in my heart...I feel HIM....and I do NOT feel it is needed to justify or judge others...or myself...mercy and grace...thats it
...but you see, you clearly already have in this thread (more than once)
I simply clarified a misconstrued judgement on the part of many here who are believers...I think if someone has the ability to put aside their emotions for a moment, it becomes clearly obvious that is the case. Good for you...I'm genuinely happy for you...but all I see from you to me is a negative, judgmental and presumptuous attitude. I've clearly stated how much I respect others' religious beliefs, but I just happened to notice you haven't.

In fact, you've playfully suggested that w/o God in the gym, well...you know. I realize to you it probably seemed harmless, but you just did one of the things I expressed that I feel is not respectful of others' religions. You insinuated people who didn't believe in God were in some way inferior.

Also here you say, "agree...and yet...all the PC in the world...sometimes makes me crazy...stop being offended...put on your big people panties and move on....how is it that the word God can upset so many people? If you are a non believer...it's just a word... SMH"

and you pondered in another post that people are "too sensitive" about it..yet you are the one who clearly keeps getting offended over the word and the discussion of it...do you see what I mean? Obviously it's a touchy subject w/you bc of your brother, etc. but it doesn't need to be. Why let his opinion of you bother you so, when you know you're where you're supposed to be (religiously, spiritually, etc)? Why the need to be so defensive?

...but you see, you clearly already have in this thread (more than once)
I simply clarified a misconstrued judgement on the part of many here who are believers...I think if someone has the ability to put aside their emotions for a moment, it becomes clearly obvious that is the case. Good for you...I'm genuinely happy for you...but all I see from you to me is a negative, judgmental and presumptuous attitude. I've clearly stated how much I respect others' religious beliefs, but I just happened to notice you haven't.

In fact, you've playfully suggested that w/o God in the gym, well...you know. I realize to you it probably seemed harmless, but you just did one of the things I expressed that I feel is not respectful of others' religions. You insinuated people who didn't believe in God were in some way inferior.

Also here you say, "agree...and yet...all the PC in the world...sometimes makes me crazy...stop being offended...put on your big people panties and move on....how is it that the word God can upset so many people? If you are a non believer...it's just a word... SMH"

and you pondered in another post that people are "too sensitive" about it..yet you are the one who clearly keeps getting offended over the word and the discussion of it...do you see what I mean? Obviously it's a touchy subject w/you bc of your brother, etc. but it doesn't need to be. Why let his opinion of you bother you so, when you know you're where you're supposed to be (religiously, spiritually, etc)? Why the need to be so defensive?
um...when did I EVER say or intimate ANYTHING negative about you? I am relaxed and happy about my God...and I am happy for you in your belief of whatever you believe in....I am truly not upset at all...are you? and as you can see above in my own words..I am NOT frantic but happily playful and open to let anyone believe what they want and will NOT post paragraph after paragraph trying to disprove anyone elses thoughts or feelings....so maybe you can relax too..:) My brohter and I are really close..we just don't see the world the same..NBD...really....:)

Can we fight about cheerleading, please. Will someone throw out a team name, I will insult them and we can carry on. :D

Kentucky Elite. Obviously a Christian gym as they're going for a Christmas Tree theme this year with their uniforms.:confused:

Heck no...they are clearly going for a Hanukkah theme! Get it straight. They will look like the eight lights of Hanuakkah as they light up the stage with their dazzling performance and skills. But if you want to squint, and call it Christmas, I won't stop you.

SE cannot wear curls. They do not sell hair gel in Kernersville. I have it from a good source.

Heck no...they are clearly going for a Hanukkah theme! Get it straight. They will look like the eight lights of Hanuakkah as they light up the stage with their dazzling performance and skills. But if you want to squint, and call it Christmas, I won't stop you.

SE cannot wear curls. They do not sell hair gel in Kernersville. I have it from a good source.

I have a question and "real life example" for all you guys. You and 9 of your friends go out to dinner every Friday night. Before every meal, you pray. After doing this for 7 months, every Friday, without interruption, all of a sudden two of your friends make a big deal out of it saying that they're not religious or they're a different religion and that you shouldn't do it anymore because they're uncomfortable. Do you all of a sudden stop doing it because you want them to feel "included" even though they've been enduring it, without any sign of resistance, for nearly the last 30 weeks? or do you say "Hey, the 8 of us are going to keep praying as that has become tradition , and you guys can choose to not participate if you'd like. Just realize we're not trying to exclude you and it'll take all of 30 seconds. If you'd like to participate you're always welcome."

Just out of curiosity, what other activity can be introduced that won't make the majority athletes feel like they're being forced to change their traditions because of a few athletes? I feel like it is so much easier said than done. You act like there will be no resistance from the athletes that WANT to keep the prayers going, and will just willingly give up their tradition because a handful of girls are CHOOSING not to participate or CHOOSING to become upset about excluding themselves.

I have a question and "real life example" for all you guys. You and 9 of your friends go out to dinner every Friday night. Before every meal, you pray. After doing this for 7 months, every Friday, without interruption, all of a sudden two of your friends make a big deal out of it saying that they're not religious or they're a different religion and that you shouldn't do it anymore because they're uncomfortable. Do you all of a sudden stop doing it because you want them to feel "included" even though they've been enduring it, without any sign of resistance, for nearly the last 30 weeks? or do you say "Hey, the 8 of us are going to keep praying as that has become tradition , and you guys can choose to not participate if you'd like. Just realize we're not trying to exclude you and it'll take all of 30 seconds. If you'd like to participate you're always welcome."

Just out of curiosity, what other activity can be introduced that won't make the majority athletes feel like they're being forced to change their traditions because of a few athletes? I feel like it is so much easier said than done. You act like there will be no resistance from the athletes that WANT to keep the prayers going, and will just willingly give up their tradition because a handful of girls are CHOOSING not to participate or CHOOSING to become upset about excluding themselves.

I'm just saying you could have a non-denominational prayer that lies vaguely along the same lines as a Christian-prayer.

The time when someone decides to speak up for themselves is completely irrelevant, IMO. If I am being sexually harrassed and have been for the past 7 months but I just now decide to speak up (for whatever reason that I was waiting, being I was scared of the consequences or whatever), no judge is going to tell me "you should have decided that you didn't like it the first time it happened...too bad so sad, it will continue". The issue at hand is not as serious, but the same concept still holds.

Also, implying that someone is in the wrong and should "adapt" is absolutely ridiculous (as is saying that they are "choosing" to be upset about being excluded) when it would go against THEIR religion to participate.

Running a parallel example, if your team was practicing racist chants before you competed, would you participate as someone who is not racist? No. That is not what you believe in. Participating would go against your beliefs and your morals. Would you consider yourself unreasonable for your non-participation and that you should just adapt to their ways because they are the majority? I would assume not...but you are making it sound like those who do not participate based on their morals are being unreasonable.

While I understand what you're saying and think it may be applicable in some situations, I don't agree that you've got it right in the context that we're talking about, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Given the scenario you have outlined and presuming it had been a corporate prayer, I hope I would say, " oh okay, give the rest of us a moment to give our thanks silently". The important thing is to give thanks, and I personally think one is giving a better witness by respecting the other person's wishes, but continuing to pray silently than by insisting they still participate.

There are a lot of points that I would love to discuss with everyone, but I'm going to keep this short and sweet......
I love my God. I love what He is to me, my family, and friends. I want EVERYONE to know the goodness of my God, but God gives us all free will, so I will not force you to take on my beliefs. But I will keep you all in my prayers, because I want to see you all in eternity one day. :)

Back