All-Star The Majors Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

about the legality. this is the rule:
Helicopters are allowed up to a 180 degree rotation and must be caught by at least 3 catchers, one of which is positioned at head and shoulder area of the top person.
Now, watch the video. Do you see a single person catching the helicopter at the head and shoulder area? No, there is no one there. Therefore, it is illegal. I dont get any speculation there. I have seen many teams get 10 points in deductions for legality, and since they had FIVE groups doing it, in my opinion I think they're lucky they ONLY got 2.5 points in deductions. Its not a hidden or "made up" rule, its right there
Now don't go confusing the situation with facts ;)

I am sorry but a lot of the banter going on about this situation is ridiculous. I had a team two years ago that lost by .1 because of a 2 point legality deduction. The judges did not catch it, the coach of the opposing team did and brought it to the judges attention. Was I sad for the loss? Of course. But I certainly did not question the system simply because a legality was caught by someone other than a judge. Something broke the rules (unintentionally) and thus the consequence was paid. The athletes of these teams certainly know how to loose with class...how come parents and fans cannot? If the situation was reversed, those of you questioning "the system" would be the same ones praising it for working in your favor. It is over, the teams that won deserved it and those that lost...lost for legitimate reasons. Read the rules, if you have a question ask, and just because a skill didn't get caught at another competition doesn't mean it's legal. CEA fans (not athletes and staff) have a tendency to steal the thunder when any team other than their favorite wins. There is always an excuse, and some miraculous story of "love and inspiration that is going to bring them back to their former glory that is birthed from the ashes of a loss." I am sure these athletes were, are, and are going to continue to be motivated to get better and better with each performance. Why don't we let their season speak for itself...
:shimmy: shimmy times a million, couldn't have said it better

I dont know if we have already deemed the helicopters the real reason but I was also thinking if you are going to be landing in the prone position.. there isnt anyone at the top of the little flyers head when she does her second to last skill in the pyramid. Just a thought ?

My CP was with her former team as an alternate for a girl who competed hurt last night. So, she was blessed to be able to experience the Majors for a second time. She said many things after the losses, but what stuck with me was this: the Majors touts itself as a "celebration" of the athletes. The win therefore is supposed to be secondary to the experience. Now, she is not nieve. But, she said at the end of the day, someone had to win, and someone had to lose. But, kids still came from far away to see Ashley's Army and The Ladies of Teal. It's our responsibility to be who they came to see and remember that not every high school student gets to have an arena of 50,000 fans screaming for them, when they go off for the weekend.

I saw sportsmanship. I saw lots of inter-team picture taking. I saw disappointed kids, but they are kids.

So there it is. That's how someone from the inside feels about the whole thing. Now, please stop fighting about it. The CA and Cali kids are friends with our kids. We're happy for them. But, at NCA... It's on!! ;-)

There is always an excuse, and some miraculous story of "love and inspiration that is going to bring them back to their former glory that is birthed from the ashes of a loss."

You are not coming out of the ashes when you are defending World Champions. As I said, they will get a lot of motivation from the weekend and be better for the experience. My guess is the season will go quite nicely.

Does anyone have scores for all the teams yet?

Final Scores:

Large Coed:
1 (tie) 96.10 Cheer Athletics
1 (tie) 96.10 California
3. 91.85 Cheer Extreme

Senior Large:
1. 95.03 California
2. 93.05 Cheer Extreme
3. 91.35 Cheer Athletics

Small Coed:
1. 95.05 California
2. 93.25 Brandon
3. 88.15 PCM

Special Needs:
1. 107.69 Cheer Athletics

Final Scores:

Large Coed:
1 (tie) 96.10 Cheer Athletics
1 (tie) 96.10 California
3. 91.85 Cheer Extreme

Senior Large:
1. 95.03 California
2. 93.05 Cheer Extreme
3. 91.35 Cheer Athletics

Small Coed:
1. 95.05 California
2. 93.25 Brandon
3. 88.15 PCM

Special Needs:
1. 107.69 Cheer Athletics
do we know the points each team got for deductions? Just curious.

I dont know if we have already deemed the helicopters the real reason but I was also thinking if you are going to be landing in the prone position.. there isnt anyone at the top of the little flyers head when she does her second to last skill in the pyramid. Just a thought ?
hmmm that's a good point. I don't know where the rule about that would be on the score sheet though (would it be in a different spot since it's a pyramid and she's connected?)

Regarding legality deductions:

It happens to even the most experienced coaches. I know several coaches that serve on the rule committee even that have choreographed things into routines that were deemed illegal and deducted for. Sometimes you don't know what the limitation on how far a rule will "bend" until you push past the line. We have gotten legality deductions at inopportune times and I have seen it happen to nearly every major program and major coach.

Also, NOT getting deducted at a competition is not a free pass to do the stunt the rest of the season. It sucks when you get hit for a legality after doing a skill multiple times at early-season events, but it is what it is. When you get pulled over for speeding, you don't get out of it by saying that you have gone that fast multiple times and not gotten a ticket.

Regarding any specific teams' deductions, we don't see anyone else's scoresheets or deductions.

You are not coming out of the ashes when you are defending World Champions. As I said, they will get a lot of motivation from the weekend and be better for the experience. My guess is the season will go quite nicely.

If you weren't making a comment that resembled the one mentioned...then obviously my remark was not about you. Based on your personal involvement in the program and relationship with CSP I would not group you with the fierceboard groupy fans I was referencing. So no need to get feathers ruffled when something wasn't directed at you.

Now to the defending world champs remark. You yourself have said before new team, new season. Last years accomplishments serve no bearing on this years successes or failures. Is it a drive to want to repeat? Sure. Is there a sense of prestige and wanting to keep the title at home? Of course. But there are those on here that will have a list of excuses anytime SE does not win, whether they won the year before or not. For example the immediate assumption of a USASF Conspiracy Theory. I have no doubt the skill that replaces the illegal one will be just as impressive if not better, but there is no need for others to start a bandwagon with a list of excuses as to why SE didn't win. They looked great and scores show the title was theirs without the legality. Lets leave it at that. The Majors are over and done with, so with this I will leave this topic.

honestly who cares at this point, SE doesnt deserve first at every comp they go to, just because they have cray cray fans.... they only lost because of the supposed illegal move. sh*t happens. this isnt worlds people so just chill. its better they find out now, then at a worlds bid competition or something.

Back