All-Star The Wire Article On Cheerlebrities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While i do think Gabis words have simply been twisted by the media (that is just what they do if they want to have a great story) there is one thing that i do not agree with in Gabis statement. She says she hates the word Cheerlebrity, yet she says that on her own facebook page which has 41.369 likes.
I do not want to start the whole Cheerlebrity discussion all over again, i still think the girls kind of put themselves out there for something like this to happen though.
Other than that this is just another of those silly articles about Cheerleading. We will most probably never get rid of those ;)

Kick full kick full basket. With full makeup, I'm sure. And abs.
Who was behind this article?

Because of my wife and I's stunting videos and this board I have been interviewed quite a few times for articles. I am pretty up front about knowing what their article is about, what their angle is, and asking them for final OK. All of them have been said ok to it.

BTW we got a link in the article... but only mentioned internet message forums.

Because of my wife and I's stunting videos and this board I have been interviewed quite a few times for articles. I am pretty up front about knowing what their article is about, what their angle is, and asking them for final OK. All of them have been said ok to it.

We have turned down many requests for interviews because we doubted the intentions of the reporter.

While i do think Gabis words have simply been twisted by the media (that is just what they do if they want to have a great story) there is one thing that i do not agree with in Gabis statement. She says she hates the word Cheerlebrity, yet she says that on her own facebook page which has 41.369 likes.

I'm not sure what page you are looking at but she absolutely does not use that word on her page. She despises the word for all of it's negative connotation and thinks the whole concept is silly. She's a regular kid. Spend 2 minutes with her and this is very clear.

I will say that I was on the phone when this interview was conducted. I can say without question that this garbage article and the answers which Gabi gave to the questions were taken completely out of context. My only regret now is not recording the phone call. I am working on contacting the writer to ask for a retraction and correction. Gabi would never insult fellow athletes and absolutely did not do any of the sort. If I didn't know any better, I would think this article was a hit piece targeting my daughter and the other girls mentioned. I am appalled at the article. What they didn't include, was her additional comments about the talents and skills of these girls.

I'm upset with myself now for allowing the interview, which I normally don't do, but the writer seemed genuine and the subject rather seemed benign and innocent. Lesson learned.

I'm not sure what page you are looking at but she absolutely does not use that word on her page. She despises the word for all of it's negative connotation and thinks the whole concept is silly. She's a regular kid. Spend 2 minutes with her and this is very clear.

I will say that I was on the phone when this interview was conducted. I can say without question that this garbage article and the answers which Gabi gave to the questions were taken completely out of context. My only regret now is not recording the phone call. I am working on contacting the writer to ask for a retraction and correction. Gabi would never insult fellow athletes and absolutely did not do any of the sort. If I didn't know any better, I would think this article was a hit piece targeting my daughter and the other girls mentioned. I am appalled at the article. What they didn't include, was her additional comments about the talents and skills of these girls.

I'm upset with myself now for allowing the interview, which I normally don't do, but the writer seemed genuine and the subject rather seemed benign and innocent. Lesson learned.

I was absolutely not trying to bring Gabi down, please excuse me if it seemed like i did! I saw Gabi at Worlds 2012 and she seemed very down to earth jumping around like a normal kid, to be honest i've seen a few other well known Cheerleaders act very different that day ;)
What i meant was that it seems a little odd to critique the Cheerlebrity status on a Facebook page that kind of serves the purpose of ''Fans'' liking it and following what she does. I am aware that most of the Girls, Gabi included may not have chosen to be so called ''Cheerlebrities'' in the first place, but by taking chances and modeling for companies, appearing on TV Shows etc , they put themselves out there. And even if they maybe don't want to be a ''Cheerlebrity'' , right now they are. So to some people it just seems weird to read about the Girls saying they despise that term. (I do not know if i am making sense right now, at least in my head i do ;) )

Last edited:
Just had a follow up conversation with the writer of this piece. She acknowledged that Gabi also said they were great athletes and had other great skills in the interview, but that this article was not about cheerleading, so those comments were not included. Her words, "This article was about social media and about how these girls are popular so I included the comments I thought were relevant to that discussion." She then followed that up with, "I was a cheerleader in high school so I know all about the challenges of the stereotypes and it being a sport."

I asked for clarification of the context in which Gabi answered the question. Her demeanor has suddenly become different then when she first approached us for the article. Surprise surprise. She said she will talk to her editor about a follow up. I won't hold my breath. Then she asked if we wanted to do a follow up about the response from this and have Gabi answer more questions... UMMM NO THANKS.

In high school, most people knew that I did all star cheerleading. One day I walked into class and a girl that had no affiliation with cheerleading what so ever asked me if I knew Carly Manning. I told her that I didn't know Carly personally but I asked how she knew of her and her response was "She's on the popular page on instagram, she's like perfect."

When you allow you or your children to be put in the spotlight, you take the good and the bad that comes with it, and more often than not good people can be portrayed very, very badly, and you need to accept whatever consequences come with the moment of fame.

Back