All-Star Things I Am Over This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Totally agree with you. I saw the same with 2 level 5 teams using these tiny girls. Really the team looked like a junior team with just strong bases. Doesn't look like the senior teams that were from the past. You are right the flyers shouldn't come down and should soar in the sky if they are only 50 - 60 lbs. With that they should be one-manning the stunt. Oh but that would be a level 5 skill and these teams can only handle level 4 stunting because the girls can't hit the harder skills yet.

Well the bigger frustration is competing against that. Say what you want about technique, and all the rest of it, but if you have grown ladies lifting 50-60 pound girls you can pretty much do whatever you need to with them. It is all the more reason why they need to put the bottom back in the senior squads. I come from an area where all stars are a growing sport, and this practice is becoming more and more common.
Try this one on for size: There was a program in our area that had girls from their Mini Level 1 team cheering on their 4.2. I dont care. Say what you want. That is NOT ok! What type of standard are we setting when we say its ok that a 9 year old should be cheering with seniors? They need to put the bottom age back on seniors. period.

I am over coaches using kids like they are disposable.

Or in more positive terms, I love when coaches treat kids with respect and kindness regardless of their situation. I just called CPs coach to tell her that she will be out this weekend for CANAM because the doctor decided to cast her wrist due to a long term injury. As I apologized profusely she said "I am not worried about the competiton, we will figure that out; but how is she doing? Is SHE okay?" Those comments meant more to me than any win. There are some coaches out there that could learn a lot from that!

I am over coaches using kids like they are disposable.

Or in more positive terms, I love when coaches treat kids with respect and kindness regardless of their situation. I just called CPs coach to tell her that she will be out this weekend for CANAM because the doctor decided to cast her wrist due to a long term injury. As I apologized profusely she said "I am not worried about the competiton, we will figure that out; but how is she doing? Is SHE okay?" Those comments meant more to me than any win. There are some coaches out there that could learn a lot from that!

and that is why I will say that CAC deserves to be in the classiest gym catagory.... I am always impressed with thier morals and professionalism that I see at comps and on this board!!

Some crossovers get grief they dont deserve ... my daughter crossed last year from a 2 to a 5... she had to fight a bit as a level 5 flyer but for the most part held her own (still has a lot to learn and needs flight time) ... looked FABULOUS as a level 2 flyer (Flexible .. clean... toe pointed ... not needing her back to hold her up... could pull a STANDING ON HER OWN Straight up Bow, etc) ... BUT when it came to tumbling could only throw a very clean and smooth FT Walk, FT Walk, RO, BHS multiple as her most difficult pass. She tumbles comfortably at a level 2 and struggles at a level 3. Yet i heard grumbling about her crossing down. SMH ... I mean .. did you see her tumbling?? not like she was throwing fulls on the 5 and still crossing down... lol

If you read the whole conversation, we were only talking about people crossing to "stack" the lower level teams. Not always the case, but people do cross level 5's to make the lower level team better--I've been at a gym that did it.

Didn't mean my reply to sound so snarky--as usual I'm sneaking Fierce Board at work so I had to type fast and post. I really just meant that I don't mind most crossovers--I think they are a necessity a lot of the time. And some kids
just.
love.
cheerleading.
I think we forget sometimes that that's actually the reason for most crossovers--because the child just plain wants to crossover--no secret ulterior motive on the gym's part. And I have no problem with kids being on as many teams as they want to do--my daughter is reeeeally begging her gym to put her on 2 teams next year so she can cheer more. Not to stack any teams or anything--just to max out her time.

I posted a few weeks ago asking if people thought it was better to go onto a team that is at the higher end of your skill set or lower (eg. a Level 3 athlete in a gym without a Level 3 team--which would be better, Level 2 or Level 4? The one where they'd be the best on the team, but not really learning anything new? Or the one where they'd be constantly learning and working to the next level up?) Crossing over solves this--you get both!

The only time crossovers bug me is when it's the gym wanting them to cross over, not the athlete--someone who is soooooo clearly Level 5 on all counts (stunting, tumbling, etc.) and they fill in on a Level 2 team to make the Level 2 team better. My kids' old gym used to use younger seniors to fill in on Juniors because the Junior team never did well at comp and the owner wanted the team to do better. She let any Seniors who were young enough cross over for FREE to the Junior team--and she made no secrets about it being to win.

The only time crossovers bug me is when it's the gym wanting them to cross over, not the athlete--someone who is soooooo clearly Level 5 on all counts (stunting, tumbling, etc.) and they fill in on a Level 2 team to make the Level 2 team better. My kids' old gym used to use younger seniors to fill in on Juniors because the Junior team never did well at comp and the owner wanted the team to do better. She let any Seniors who were young enough cross over for FREE to the Junior team--and she made no secrets about it being to win.

I don't necessarily have a huge problem with this, actually, as long as the number of kids crossing over is limited. If you're putting, say, level 4-type athletes on a level 2 team to help those less experienced cheerleaders get better and be more competitive, then why not? It's when you cross over entire teams - or the vast majority of a team - from a higher level to a lower level solely for the sake of winning that I have a problem with it. I think there's a difference between using a few experienced athletes on a lower level to help out and stacking a level 1 or 2 team for the sake of winning a comp.

That's why I've been a big proponent of mandatory athlete credentialing and a rule that says that at a minimum, a majority of your team must be credentialed at the level they're competing at. That would give you the flexibility to use crossovers, but wouldn't allow you to completely stack teams or sandbag.

1. Gyms that have the same flyers on multiple teams (especially when one is a level 2 and the other is a level 4 or 5)-come on-give other kids a chance!
2. Gyms that are are ugly to their competition
3. Quadruple teaming-are you kidding me? These kids are going to pass out after their 4th routine of the day! And if you need kids on four teams in order to fill them-maybe you should cut back on the number of teams you have-just sayin'
4. Bad sportsmanship is my BIGGEST pet peeve! You are all working hard toward the same goal-respect each other-even if you don't like each other!
what team does this?

Part 2 of my useless ranting! Has Arrived:
1. All these "extra innovative uniforms" seriously why you look stupid and if you stand outside too long your gonna have extra stupid tan lines
2. Gyms whos main focus are their "worlds team" you people are idiots and wont have quality athletes forever
3. People who only concern themselves with worlds...seriously have you ever just been...its not all that great
4. People who's music is extra loud...I dont care who your gonna beat and what your gonna take back ifI cant hear myself think
5. Cheer Moms...enough said
6. Wrist rolls and hair whips...its not even cute anymore
7. Flyers who shimmy in the air...I hope you can shimmy when your on your face cause I might as well be holding up one of those crazy arm guys car dealerships use
8. Im over going to practice nd listening to that same 2 and a half minute mix!

ROTFL... I remember when those first started being popular, and some flyers looked like they were going to shimmy themselves right onto the floor... bad idea, dislike

people "faking" stunts. facing the back step step 3 quarter turn with your group turning with you and calling it a full up is wrong. it probably would've just been easier to work the actual full up.. but i mean whatever floats ya boat
Much easier to work a regular fullup than to take all of those steps- AGREE:)

The #1 think I am over is BAMMM: The constant request for more doubles in routines as if you can just got out to the store and buy them. Obviously if the team isn't throwing more doubles it's because they don't have the ability to do so DUH lol.

you mean you can't just go buy 13 double fulls for a small senior team?

Back