All-Star Tumbling Skills From Easiest To Most Difficult?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I cannnot do back walkovers or standing walkovers and it wasn't until i was creating a specialty pass did i get a running walkover. It's a shame that i have a needle scale and nice flexed scorp but my back doesn't have flexability for backwalkovers or kickovers. My coach let's me do bhs instead of bwo for warm up. I also can't walk in a handstand but my bhs are good enough for multis to tuck..

I don't know if lower levels still do, but I remember competing and going to state at level 3,(I think this was about 2005-6?) and then moving up to 4.

Amazed at how many people have a hard time with the bwo. My CP cannot do a bwo and in her gym you cannot get off of level 1 team without a bwo and bhs. Her second year on Level 1 and still no bwo. Maybe I should have her skip it and start working on a bhs instead.

Amazed at how many people have a hard time with the bwo. My CP cannot do a bwo and in her gym you cannot get off of level 1 team without a bwo and bhs. Her second year on Level 1 and still no bwo. Maybe I should have her skip it and start working on a bhs instead.
She'd probably still need the skill in order to do a backwalkover BHS, which is getting to be very popular for level 2 team standing tumbling. The key to any walkover is back and shoulder flexibility however (so it's easier to get your center of gravity over), where as handsprings are more about power snapping down or pushing through the toes off the ground, so she might catch on faster with the BHS. Maybe privates for the BHS and work on the flexibility for the BWO at home, so it'll become easier? Just throwing out some ideas

Some people take longer than others to learn a Back roll or Back walkover. From my experience, athletes that (even if it takes a little longer) take the time to learn how to back roll properly (straight arms and legs all the way through) and back walkover, get their back handsprings quicker. Why? upper body strength in proportion to size and shoulder flexibility. Do not cut your CP off at the pass and progress them along to back handsprings before they are ready because their coach will just spend the next 3 years fixing it until she builds up the proper strength and flexibility which could have been gained by being persistent with back rolls and back walkovers. I'm sure your daughters coach would be more than happy to provide drills to work on these skills safely at home. She will be a better tumbler for it at the end of the day.

Back