High School Uniforms For Hot Weather Cheering

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

LMAO! I shimmied her comment without even thinking.

But body, body temps vary, especially during puberty. But for some reason, girls are always cold.
Yes! That's exactly what I meant... As teenagers (see below poster) one teenager feels like they're practically living on the sun and the girl/guy next to them is wearing multiple layers because they swear it's an early Christmas. LoL

Double post, but I remembered something. No matter what team I was on, whether high school or college, there was always one girl that was never comfortable. It was either too hot and she wanted to be in a sports bra and shorts or too cold and she wanted to wear our warm ups. So really, you can't please everyone. There's always going to be at least one who is unhappy. My coaches usually go with the majority when making a decision, but they've also overruled everyone. We were also supposed to have all our uniform pieces with us, despite what we would be wearing them at the game just in case of a change in weather.
This was the intent of my original response... Can never make everyone happy ... So at some point you just HAVE to do what you feel is best for the squad, while I feel for OP feeling uncomfortable ... A coach usually has their reasons (one way or another for their decision)

This year we got a tank uniform top and a long sleeved uniform top... JV usually always wears the tank and Varsity the long sleeved since the temp changes, but it's great to have both options. For example, they are doing a clinic this weekend and the tanks are perfect to look professional but stay cool.

Double post, but I remembered something. No matter what team I was on, whether high school or college, there was always one girl that was never comfortable. It was either too hot and she wanted to be in a sports bra and shorts or too cold and she wanted to wear our warm ups. So really, you can't please everyone. There's always going to be at least one who is unhappy. My coaches usually go with the majority when making a decision, but they've also overruled everyone. We were also supposed to have all our uniform pieces with us, despite what we would be wearing them at the game just in case of a change in weather.

I try to monitor the weather and make attire decisions based on that, but this is spot on.

My girls cheered a very hot football game (as in just about 90 degrees) recently. I went with no liners (rare, but it was extremely hot.) I still had a parent complain about the girls not wearing them.

My high school team in MA would wear just shells until whenever it got chilly enough, usually like mid-late September. If the cold rolled in during the game, the girls would put on liners or warm ups during halftime. Everyone was required to have their liners or warm up jacket in their bag just in case. I'm pretty sure you had to sit out if the decision to change was made and you didn't have it. Once it was consistently cold, they wore liners every time.
The summer I moved to South Carolina, a couple football players or band members passed out from heat exhaustion so it just wasn't safe to wear liners in August. When it was actually cold, the girls wore liners or warm ups. A couple years later, they got these really cute 1950's letterman style sweaters.
I think if the temperature is still high, you shouldn't have to wear liners or at least a vote should be taken to see how a majority of the team feels. Having nice lines and looking put together is wonderful until someone passes out.

I understand safety completely, I monitored the heat indexes etc and would never endanger an athletes safety purposely. I just feel like all society does is enable them in general to avoid doing anything they don't want to do, and them being teenagers is most things. An important life lesson to learn is that you do not always get what you want, and that's okay. The individuals who don't learn this eventually become the problems of society.

My team recently invested in two different uniforms. This year was our first year going to a sleep-away UCA camp and there was no way we would be able to be outside with the new powerfit Varsity long-sleeve uniforms in August. We got a cheap (each girl paid around $65) uniform with short sleeves and a skort that's in my profile picture. It's honestly really cute and we joke around calling it our tennis uniform (I mean, honestly, it kind of looks like we are about to hit the courts). The fabric is more breathable, almost like a lacrosse uniform's fabric if you have any idea of what that feels like. Perfect for hot/humid games/events. We have worn this uniform for camp, one game, and POSSIBLY one more. NJ's weather can drop like a dime, the other day it was 100 degrees and the next was 82 and raining.

I do agree with the coaches though. Traditional uniforms (not my team's summer one) look way better with liners and I always hate going without a liner when I wear one. But the one we got and the tank top style ones have a very complete look to them even without any type of liner.

I understand safety completely, I monitored the heat indexes etc and would never endanger an athletes safety purposely. I just feel like all society does is enable them in general to avoid doing anything they don't want to do, and them being teenagers is most things. An important life lesson to learn is that you do not always get what you want, and that's okay. The individuals who don't learn this eventually become the problems of society.
Yes!

This year we got a tank uniform top and a long sleeved uniform top... JV usually always wears the tank and Varsity the long sleeved since the temp changes, but it's great to have both options. For example, they are doing a clinic this weekend and the tanks are perfect to look professional but stay cool.
I haven't seen you post on the boards in a while (or maybe you have and I was just MIA!) You're in California now? Didn't you have a gym in Ky or am I thinking of someone else?

My team recently invested in two different uniforms. This year was our first year going to a sleep-away UCA camp and there was no way we would be able to be outside with the new powerfit Varsity long-sleeve uniforms in August. We got a cheap (each girl paid around $65) uniform with short sleeves and a skort that's in my profile picture. It's honestly really cute and we joke around calling it our tennis uniform (I mean, honestly, it kind of looks like we are about to hit the courts). The fabric is more breathable, almost like a lacrosse uniform's fabric if you have any idea of what that feels like. Perfect for hot/humid games/events. We have worn this uniform for camp, one game, and POSSIBLY one more. NJ's weather can drop like a dime, the other day it was 100 degrees and the next was 82 and raining.

I do agree with the coaches though. Traditional uniforms (not my team's summer one) look way better with liners and I always hate going without a liner when I wear one. But the one we got and the tank top style ones have a very complete look to them even without any type of liner.

Our skort sets the girls call their tennis outfits too! LOL

I haven't seen you post on the boards in a while (or maybe you have and I was just MIA!) You're in California now? Didn't you have a gym in Ky or am I thinking of someone else?

That's me! :)

I moved back to California last year... I worked at California All-Stars last season, and now coaching a high school squad. I'm lurking more than posting, but trying to keep in the loop. This high school thing is totally new to me!

That's me! :)

I moved back to California last year... I worked at California All-Stars last season, and now coaching a high school squad. I'm lurking more than posting, but trying to keep in the loop. This high school thing is totally new to me!
Exciting! Love California. Welcome to the school world side of cheer!

Back