High School Uniforms For Hot Weather Cheering

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 15, 2011
so how does a coach make you wear full sleeves on an 85 degree game night a week ago, and then a game yesterday afternoon in 90+?? Granted we are supplied gatorade by the orange buckets and she lets us roll the sleeves up, but since when is there a trend of going full liner in the heat. The opposing teams squads had the same thing going on. And they had all black shells!

Our old coach always let us go sleeveless well into october and even in the winter with hot gyms for basketball. We Barely ever wore anything under the shell unless for comps and cold gamedays to school.

Rant over. What's your squad do for the heat as far as uniforms go?? She wouldn't let us take the bodyliner off so I kept sneaking under the football bench "cool" mist fan at halftime.

NObody was really heat exhausted or anything dangerous to complain complain...but still..

For us it differs by game. This week it was 90 degrees so we did no body liners, but the game before it was 75 at kick off and we wore them. We usually decide at practice before the game and bring them to the game just in case if we choose not to wear them.
We always wear them for basketball. People don't want to but IMO, it looks unprofessional and not collegiate. Plus we just spent a fortune on new bodysuits last year not to wear them for basketball!

ETA: I live in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well I'm from AZ, where during the beginning of football season it's around 110, at night, my schools team recently switched to the power fit material uniforms. But they usually never wear the liners underneath the shells, even now with the thinner material. They rarely ever wear liners, only if it's around November where it's around 60 at night during games

so how does a coach make you wear full sleeves on an 85 degree game night a week ago, and then a game yesterday afternoon in 90+?? Granted we are supplied gatorade by the orange buckets and she lets us roll the sleeves up, but since when is there a trend of going full liner in the heat. The opposing teams squads had the same thing going on. And they had all black shells!

Our old coach always let us go sleeveless well into october and even in the winter with hot gyms for basketball. We Barely ever wore anything under the shell unless for comps and cold gamedays to school.

Rant over. What's your squad do for the heat as far as uniforms go?? She wouldn't let us take the bodyliner off so I kept sneaking under the football bench "cool" mist fan at halftime.

NObody was really heat exhausted or anything dangerous to complain complain...but still..

Lol! Um... Was this me?! Diamond... Is this you?! J/K! You sound like one of MY girls this past Friday. Where I live in California and especially right now the temp can change at the drop of a hat. As a coach you try to make the BEST decisions you can for your squads as a whole. While you may have been uncomfortably hot... The other half of the squad could have been just fine. As teens your body temp fluctuates a good 20 degrees among each other and while we would love to make everyone happy , we simply can't. I'm assuming your coach probably didn't want to risk it getting cooler in the evening and you guys having to "change" into body liners later 1. Risking you guys wasting half your break time to change 2. Risking someone forgetting their liner by not just wearing it "ready to go to the game" or
3. Keep you guys from all the grand stand jibber jabber about "why did the cheerleaders change?!" ...
While you may not understand it, and downright not like it... Your coach usually isn't OUT to make you miserable and truly wants nothing but for you to look and be your best on game day. I had my girls wear their liners this last Friday...(with complaint at first) only to avoid them wasting their break to change (they only get a 12 minute break after their performance)... And sure enough once their game started they were all super happy I insisted they wear them... It got chilly the minute the sun went down. While I'm not speaking for her... If she was admant about you having it on, there might have been a good reason for it. This is probably not relate able to YOUR particular situation... But perhaps something to put it all into perspective: when I was in high school my friend was hit by an adult in her life and there was a situation where her arm was banged up pretty bad. It was obvious she was abused but our coach didn't want her out cheering in front of the crowd obviously all bruised (it was pretty bad to where make up wasn't a cover option) so she had us all wear liners the first few weeks of the season (when it was hot) everyone complained and moaned... They just didn't know why we would wear liners in 95 degrees. But it was either that and have my friend cheer or she sit sideline at no fault of her own. Looking back... I'd proudly wear that liner every day in the heat so that she could cheer with us.

My car on the way to our game the other night said 101... too hot for football in my opinion! Really hot days we'll wear a sports bra tank type top that was part of campwear or a shell without a liner. The opposing team the other night had on full liners and I felt so bad for those girls! They had to be dying! All of us coaches we're sweating just standing there, I couldn't image our girls cheering in turtlenecks and sleeves in that heat!

Lol! Um... Was this me?! Diamond... Is this you?! J/K! You sound like one of MY girls this past Friday. Where I live in California and especially right now the temp can change at the drop of a hat. As a coach you try to make the BEST decisions you can for your squads as a whole. While you may have been uncomfortably hot... The other half of the squad could have been just fine. As teens your body temp fluctuates a good 20 degrees among each other and while we would love to make everyone happy , we simply can't. I'm assuming your coach probably didn't want to risk it getting cooler in the evening and you guys having to "change" into body liners later 1. Risking you guys wasting half your break time to change 2. Risking someone forgetting their liner by not just wearing it "ready to go to the game" or
3. Keep you guys from all the grand stand jibber jabber about "why did the cheerleaders change?!" ...
While you may not understand it, and downright not like it... Your coach usually isn't OUT to make you miserable and truly wants nothing but for you to look and be your best on game day. I had my girls wear their liners this last Friday...(with complaint at first) only to avoid them wasting their break to change (they only get a 12 minute break after their performance)... And sure enough once their game started they were all super happy I insisted they wear them... It got chilly the minute the sun went down. While I'm not speaking for her... If she was admant about you having it on, there might have been a good reason for it. This is probably not relate able to YOUR particular situation... But perhaps something to put it all into perspective: when I was in high school my friend was hit by an adult in her life and there was a situation where her arm was banged up pretty bad. It was obvious she was abused but our coach didn't want her out cheering in front of the crowd obviously all bruised (it was pretty bad to where make up wasn't a cover option) so she had us all wear liners the first few weeks of the season (when it was hot) everyone complained and moaned... They just didn't know why we would wear liners in 95 degrees. But it was either that and have my friend cheer or she sit sideline at no fault of her own. Looking back... I'd proudly wear that liner every day in the heat so that she could cheer with us.

If your body temperature fluctuated "a good 20 degrees" you'd be dead... But alright.

We have varsity brand skort sets and we use those for warm games. Usually it's the first 2, but we had a Saturday afternoon 90 degree and humid game last fall and we wore them in October. The sleeves are just too much when it's hot, I am all about keeping them comfortable and happy.

I rarely let my girls go without sleeves, they'll be alright we all went though it. I honestly hate the look of a uniform without liners, and liners also make motions look sharper.

I let my JV team take their body liners off yesterday and were in NH, when I told them to take off the liners they thought I was crazy because they werent used to having someone say that to them but it was VERY hot yesterday. I cant imagine being in a hotter climate area and wearing a body liner.. ugh!
Sorry you had to go through that..
As a coach Id rather have no body liners then kids passing out and getting sick!

If your body temperature fluctuated "a good 20 degrees" you'd be dead... But alright.
LMAO! I shimmied her comment without even thinking.

But body, body temps vary, especially during puberty. But for some reason, girls are always cold.

In high school we always wore our liners. It would be warm at the beginning of football games but we are close enough to the coast where it would cool down to 60° F when the sun went down. Basketball games kind of sucked because it would get stuffy in the gym but it was nothing unbearable nor dangerous.
In college we rarely wore our liners for football games. However, college games are Saturday afternoons, and our stadium was like a pit and got so hot, at least 100° F or more. We only wore our liners three times in my time there; once when we had a super random rainy game at home, an away game at night, and then an away game in the afternoon, but at a school super close to the coast, so it was chilly!
In college basketball we always wore our liners. And like high school, it's stuffy but nothing awful.
I agree that liners look more put together and clean, but if the weather gets super hot, like in the 90°s or higher, they should probably come off.

Double post, but I remembered something. No matter what team I was on, whether high school or college, there was always one girl that was never comfortable. It was either too hot and she wanted to be in a sports bra and shorts or too cold and she wanted to wear our warm ups. So really, you can't please everyone. There's always going to be at least one who is unhappy. My coaches usually go with the majority when making a decision, but they've also overruled everyone. We were also supposed to have all our uniform pieces with us, despite what we would be wearing them at the game just in case of a change in weather.

Back