All-Star What Is The Average Height Of A College Cheerleader Flyer On A Coed Team ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't understand what you are saying. Where is my logic flawed?

Sorry, I was attempting sarcasm. There is nothing wrong with your logic. The fact that weight is a very important part of being an elite flyer simply doesn't fit well with people's sensitivity. It's physics vs. political correctness.

Is weight the only factor? Certainly not. This is much like saying that height is the only factor important in basketball. However, you can't simply point to one tall person that can't play hoops and then declare that height doesn't matter. There is a reason that the average NBA player is almost a foot taller than the average American man. (6'7" vs 5'9")

We are Large Coed team and our flyers range from 4"10-5'7". I recruit how well a girl fly's, a 5'6" girl maybe a awesome flyer, and taller flyers have better lines in the air and in tumbling typically! Do not get discouraged if you are over 5'1" many colleges look for great tall flyers! My husband cheered for KU and his tallest partner was 5'9" and he is 6'4" so that was a tall stunt!

Cheers!
Coach Magaha!

Just thought I would would share my two cents on the wrestling comparison, since really both people in this argument are correct. There is going to be a certain weight class you are trying to make, it may be higher or lower than your current weight, but usually lower. Example- you weigh 133 but you have an all state wrestler on your team in the 135 division, so you are either trying to cut to 125 or put on enough muscle to be effective at 145. Don't remember the exact weight class numbers.

@canttouchthis @yung.STAR

i haven't taken the time to read through all of this, but just some tidbits from me:
I am the shortest on my team at roughly 4' 11". we have girls in a range from my height to about 5' 4". As far as the weight thing, personally I don't like it, because frankly, as easy as it is to toss "smaller" (all relative) girls, its not always about the size. I am a very little girl, but its not my size that makes me skilled at coed stunting. its 1. my jump 2. my body awareness. i've seen girls that are close to 5' 6" stunt and be awesome at it, why? because they had an AWESOME jump and once they were up there they knew how to hold themselves. on the contrary, we had a girl tryout this past year who was itty bitty, about 4' 9" and skinny as a rail, and she was god awful. the guys were struggling to toss her just to hands, why? she didn't jump for crap.
i suppose making flyers maintain a certain weight is acceptable when done properly. giving the same weight to every girl is absurd, stupid, dangerous, i could go on. we are all built differently. they should each have their own personal target weight, and a healthy one at that. its not safe for a flyer, or any cheerleader for that matter, to be all skin and bones. its just not. thats how injuries happened. you need to be strengthening and conditioning and engaging muscles to have proper technique and to prevent injury, and if your weight is so low that you have no muscle to do so? bad news bears. not to mention all the psychological problems and eating disorders that could arise.
the topic of coed girls is very.... tricky? thats not the word i'm looking for. but pretty much its a balancing act, you really have to watch boundaries and take all factors into account when it comes to size.

sorry, i'll get off my soap box :)

Hey! HotTOPIC and WorkToWin,
Just because you are tall doesn't mean you can't try out for the cheerleading squad! They are several outstanding all girl teams like Louisville, Indiana, Memphis, San Diego State, Morehead State, and other schools that look for talented cheerleaders. These bases and back spots may not be able to fly but they are very talented and fun to watch. Remember, don't give up! Don't ever give up!

One of previous cheer coaches cheered for UofLs coed team and I remember one practice where she was telling me how she only ate one or two things a day to maintain her weight. It was crazy she's tiny about 5'2 , and the last thing she told me about it was " I'm so glad I don't fly anymore so I can eat whateverrrrr I want " (; haha .

There's a difference between your weight deciding your division and your weight deciding whether or not you can be involved at all.
but weight kind of decides your division. you could go to a school to be on an all-girl team where you can cheer. if you want to be on a coed team, then that's your choice and you can lose weight, or not cheer

but weight kind of decides your division. you could go to a school to be on an all-girl team where you can cheer. if you want to be on a coed team, then that's your choice and you can lose weight, or not cheer

Not really, the weight limits are for -existing- cheerleaders. Most schools are coed or all-girl, not both.

@yung.STAR
In wrestling you CHOOSE to wrestle in a lower weight class (even if you coach WANTS you too...it's still your choice)....and you CAN still wrestle in a higher weigh class. In cheerleading (in the situations described) you CAN'T cheer at a high weight.... you HAVE to be the lower weight to cheer.
TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

Back