All-Star Who would be in favor of an Open 4 division?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My fear is that these larger gyms will become the only gyms with level 6 teams, and I honestly just don't think their are enough teams to fill up 2 divisions. For the last two years I competed on a level 6 team and the most teams we ever competed against was 2. We had to drop out of comps because there was no competition.

Larger gyms are for the most part the only gyms to put out true Legit level 6 teams.

Compare the number of sr 2 and 3 teams to the number of sr 4 and 5 teams. A lot of those sr 2 and 3's would love to continue cheering and would have no business on a level 6

Larger gyms are for the most part the only gyms to put out true Legit level 6 teams.

Compare the number of sr 2 and 3 teams to the number of sr 4 and 5 teams. A lot of those sr 2 and 3's would love to continue cheering and would have no business on a level 6

Then they will learn how to stunt level 6. It's like a gymnast with a full switching to cheerleading. They will learn how to stunt 4/5

I love the idea...theres plenty of athletes across the country that graduate at level 3 or 4 whom given the opportunity I'm sure would love to continue cheering.

Level 3/4 Athletes could continue cheering after they age out

Gyms could make money off of tryout and monthly fees

Companies would stand to profit with the addition of another division

And it doesn't really take away from any divisions we currently have in place b/c these are athletes that typically have no spots on competitive level 5 or 6 open teams.

I agree. TG could probably put together an open 4 without diluting their open 6 or ioc5 and tons of smaller programs that don't currently have any open teams could put together a decent open 4

Then they will learn how to stunt level 6. It's like a gymnast with a full switching to cheerleading. They will learn how to stunt 4/5

that would be like a level 2 cheerleader jumping to straight to 5. Its like once you turn 18 we don't care about progression anymore, you are either top level elite or nothing.

It might actually increase the number of open 6 teams in the long run, by allowing more cheerleaders to stay in the sport and continue to progress

that would be like a level 2 cheerleader jumping to straight to 5. Its like once you turn 18 we don't care about progression anymore, you are either top level elite or nothing.

Idk who we is but there is plenty of gyms who care about progression. My back spot this year went from backing a heel stretch full down to being able to fly in a rewind. And she has only had hs school experience cheerleading and level 3 tumbling and is now on an open 6 team.

Open 6 is level 6 (collegiate level) stunting and level 5 tumbling (or lower). Having a Level 4 division would then have 18 year olds (or older) stunting at a level that many juniors stunt at. Now, we have 2 Open 6 teams at our gym (and many of the people on those teams do not tumbling at Level 5) and to tell them they are going to stunt, basket toss and pyramid at Level 4...well, they'd leave. Open 6 is not about tumbling (even at Worlds). The last thing we all need is another division.

I think the level 6 division for Open gives the graduated kids something new to work for. If they were destined to be level 4 for the rest of their life, what would the point be in still cheering? Level 6 is new to basically every person that first joins the team because it's offered exclusively in the Open age group. I think that it's so different that in many cases, having a strong level 5 stunting background isn't going to help you anymore than a strong level 2 stunting background, except in cases of dismounts.

If you are a cheerleader aging out as a solid level 3, you could spend a year or two on the open 4 team and continue to build your skills before moving up to the Open 6.

This would provide a way to continue to progress towards what should be the top level in cheer, instead of being placed their solely because of your age.

The way its currently set up either assumes that only elite level cheerleaders want to continue cheering or that once you turn 18 you automatically turn into an elite level athlete.

Open 6 is level 6 (collegiate level) stunting and level 5 tumbling (or lower). Having a Level 4 division would then have 18 year olds (or older) stunting at a level that many juniors stunt at. Now, we have 2 Open 6 teams at our gym (and many of the people on those teams do not tumbling at Level 5) and to tell them they are going to stunt, basket toss and pyramid at Level 4...well, they'd leave. Open 6 is not about tumbling (even at Worlds). The last thing we all need is another division.

Allowing cheerleaders to continue progress through an open 4 would improve the open 6 division to be truly the top elite level. Instead of just being where you have to go regardless of skill level.

Also I'm not talking about having a small, large, all-girl, coed, coed limited in it, just one open 4. maybe up to 24 on a team with an 8 guy limit would be good

If you are a cheerleader aging out as a solid level 3, you could spend a year or two on the open 4 team and continue to build your skills before moving up to the Open 6.

This would provide a way to continue to progress towards what should be the top level in cheer, instead of being placed their solely because of your age.

The way its currently set up either assumes that only elite level cheerleaders want to continue cheering or that once you turn 18 you automatically turn into an elite level athlete.

Completely agree. There are a ton of senior level 2, 3 & 4 cheerleaders that age out. This gives them a chance to still cheer. Level 6 is such a small division right now. I bet you would get so many more wanting to do this.

I'd be in favor of an open team with more realistic skill sets. I know the majority of Open 6 teams I see throughout the year usually only have level 6 pyramids and baskets and they are usually done poorly and are scary. I don't think Open 4 would be the correct division though. Something like the intermediate college level at NCA would be better. No standing tucks or standing through to aieral skill. In my opinion, if you have full squad tucks you could probably execute level 6 skills (colleges do it all the time). I would be in favor of an Open Intermediate divisions like NCA College has. Running layouts, but only standing bhs. Level 4 stunting and pyramids. Level 3/4 baskets (and maybe only allow tuck baskets). This division could work but no current "level" would be appropriate for it. In my mind levels 4-6 generally are out of the range of skill level I see from most Open teams. The majority of Open teams I see have a skill level of 2 or 3 trying to preform level 6 stunts.

I'd be in favor of an open team with more realistic skill sets. I know the majority of Open 6 teams I see throughout the year usually only have level 6 pyramids and baskets and they are usually done poorly and are scary. I don't think Open 4 would be the correct division though. Something like the intermediate college level at NCA would be better. No standing tucks or standing through to aieral skill. In my opinion, if you have full squad tucks you could probably execute level 6 skills (colleges do it all the time). I would be in favor of an Open Intermediate divisions like NCA College has. Running layouts, but only standing bhs. Level 4 stunting and pyramids. Level 3/4 baskets (and maybe only allow tuck baskets). This division could work but no current "level" would be appropriate for it. In my mind levels 4-6 generally are out of the range of skill level I see from most Open teams. The majority of Open teams I see have a skill level of 2 or 3 trying to preform level 6 stunts.

The standing tumbling is the only real difference between the college rules and level 4. for simplicity and continuity I would say stick level 4.
if a team has squad standing tucks then they should probably choose to go level 6

I'm probably going to get my throat cut for this, but oh well. Remember, just my opinion.

I would hate to see an Open 4 division. We (and by we I mean cheerleading in general) can't keep adding all of these divisions to accomodate everyone (4.2, open 5). Not everyone was meant to be a level 4 or 5 cheerleader, not everyone will get the chance to go to worlds.

I understand the idea behind some of these, progression, a good division for school cheerleaders (4.2). But to me, it's just going to far. I was NOT a fan of 4.2, at all, open 5 I could handle it makes the most sense out of "these" divisions to me, but open 4? That just does not even sound right. If we ever want cheerleading to be taken seriously, constatly adding all of these new divisions to accomadate people/gyms is not going to help.

All star cheer is great, I get the idea that everyone who wants to cheer should have the opportunity too. But constantly adding "sub-divisions" is a little... obnoxious.

If open 5 or 6 is not a good fit for some after they age out, exhibition? If it's all about just getting to have fun. Or maybe move on? Coach? Stalk?... Someone will always be left out, but that's just the way life is, you can't please everybody.

I'm probably going to get my throat cut for this, but oh well. Remember, just my opinion.

I would hate to see an Open 4 division. We (and by we I mean cheerleading in general) can't keep adding all of these divisions to accomodate everyone (4.2, open 5). Not everyone was meant to be a level 4 or 5 cheerleader, not everyone will get the chance to go to worlds.

I understand the idea behind some of these, progression, a good division for school cheerleaders (4.2). But to me, it's just going to far. I was NOT a fan of 4.2, at all, open 5 I could handle it makes the most sense out of "these" divisions to me, but open 4? That just does not even sound right. If we ever want cheerleading to be taken seriously, constatly adding all of these new divisions to accomadate people/gyms is not going to help.

All star cheer is great, I get the idea that everyone who wants to cheer should have the opportunity too. But constantly adding "sub-divisions" is a little... obnoxious.

If open 5 or 6 is not a good fit for some after they age out, exhibition? If it's all about just getting to have fun. Or maybe move on? Coach? Stalk?... Someone will always be left out, but that's just the way life is, you can't please everybody.

I agree with this. Don't hit me people, but if we add open 4, are we going to add open 1 too? The open division isn't under-populated because of skill levels, it's under-populated because many people above the age of 18 can't afford all-star cheerleading anymore. I was on a successful open 6 team where half the people couldn't tumble. We exhibitioned most of the time and it was still just as good and just as fun.

Latest posts

Back