All-Star Who would be in favor of an Open 4 division?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The standing tumbling is the only real difference between the college rules and level 4. for simplicity and continuity I would say stick level 4.
if a team has squad standing tucks then they should probably choose to go level 6

Why standing back tucks? I said it once and I'll say it again. Tumbling doesnt affect your stunting ability. You keep ignoring the international scoresheet also.

Why standing back tucks? I said it once and I'll say it again. Tumbling doesnt affect your stunting ability. You keep ignoring the international scoresheet also.

I know tumbling doesn't affect your stunting ability. but why should you have to change the scoresheet around to accommodate less skilled people entering what should be the top level of cheer.

I'm probably going to get my throat cut for this, but oh well. Remember, just my opinion.

I would hate to see an Open 4 division. We (and by we I mean cheerleading in general) can't keep adding all of these divisions to accomodate everyone (4.2, open 5). Not everyone was meant to be a level 4 or 5 cheerleader, not everyone will get the chance to go to worlds.

I understand the idea behind some of these, progression, a good division for school cheerleaders (4.2). But to me, it's just going to far. I was NOT a fan of 4.2, at all, open 5 I could handle it makes the most sense out of "these" divisions to me, but open 4? That just does not even sound right. If we ever want cheerleading to be taken seriously, constatly adding all of these new divisions to accomadate people/gyms is not going to help.

All star cheer is great, I get the idea that everyone who wants to cheer should have the opportunity too. But constantly adding "sub-divisions" is a little... obnoxious.

If open 5 or 6 is not a good fit for some after they age out, exhibition? If it's all about just getting to have fun. Or maybe move on? Coach? Stalk?... Someone will always be left out, but that's just the way life is, you can't please everybody.

no throat cutting, and I definitely get the point about not liking adding new divisions.

I don't like 4.2, you could go Level 3 or 4 or 2. you don't need another level there.

I don't like sr open 5, you could go level 5 or 4, or have 4 allow running passes to end in a full

But with this, it's go level 6 or go home?

If you look at the majority of college teams out there, they would fit best in a level 4 or below. I'm not talking about Louisville, HPU or SFA or any of the other known cheer colleges. If college can have an advanced and intermediate, why not allstars?

Having 2 skill options for the open age athletes is not that much to ask when there are 7 levels for Sr.

PS: Only NCA has advanced and intermediate. UCA does not have a split for divisions, and teams without full squad fulls still do well.

You are making such a bold statement that I have a big problem with. Yes, tumbling is minute compared to building skills on the scoresheet, but it is a chunk that cannot be ignored. Competitions are won/lost by very few points... especially at worlds... so those few points (PER JUDGE) make a big difference in the end. A level 5 or 6 international team that fields tumbling that is not level 5 is not going to be successful on the big stages.

no throat cutting, and I definitely get the point about not liking adding new divisions.

I don't like 4.2, you could go Level 3 or 4 or 2. you don't need another level there.

I don't like sr open 5, you could go level 5 or 4, or have 4 allow running passes to end in a full

But with this, it's go level 6 or go home?

If you look at the majority of college teams out there, they would fit best in a level 4 or below. I'm not talking about Louisville, HPU or SFA or any of the other known cheer colleges. If college can have an advanced and intermediate, why not allstars?

Having 2 skill options for the open age athletes is not that much to ask when there are 7 levels for Sr.

I see your point. Maybe if there was no 4.2 or Sr Open 5, I would be okay with an Open 4, or something like it. But it's just like, 4.2, sr open 5, open 4, whats next?

What would the age limits be? 17(18?)+ like open 6 or 14+ like int 5?

And I guess I can already see the 32423 threads on, why isn't open 4 a worlds division. (not that that is really a reason I'm agianst it, I just know it would happen lol)

This sounds like a great idea. I can see how you could think it would hurt the sport, but it might help. Many athletes right out of highschool who love the sport but don't have the skills for a level 5 or 6 team will just quit. Let's be honest, not a lot of highschools are popping out level 5 and 6 cheerleaders. This division would give them a division that fits them, and by continuing their cheer career their skills will improve, and they will move on to more difficult divisions. Overall I think it would increase the participation in the sport, because the people right out of highschool would continue cheering instead of quiting.

I feel very comfortable in saying that MOST level 6 teams really belong in level 4 or below. There are so many more athletes that have solid level 4 skills than solid level 6 skills. I think an "Open 4" would be a good fit for wayyyyyy more people than level 6. There are very few GREAT level 6's out there, and I honestly believe making an open 4 would create better quality and safer routines.

If its going to hurt level 6 because so many more teams would fit level 4, wouldn't it make more sense to have level 4?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Open 1? That's called a Parent Team...lol
I actually think it would help the industry if we did something to include those kids who are graduating but don't have the level 5 tumbling skills. Some of the most committed kids (and parents) I have met are on those lower level senior teams. There's probably a bunch of kids just on this board that would love an opportunity to keep going and maybe get that full at 20 instead of 16/17.
I have always thought that going from 5 to 6 is a HUGE jump, not tumbling wise but stunting. You go from kick doubles to full flipping baskets?
I personally would like the Super Senior (over 30 but under 60) Open Level 1 division please! :)

I see your point. Maybe if there was no 4.2 or Sr Open 5, I would be okay with an Open 4, or something like it. But it's just like, 4.2, sr open 5, open 4, whats next?

What would the age limits be? 17(18?)+ like open 6 or 14+ like int 5?

And I guess I can already see the 32423 threads on, why isn't open 4 a worlds division. (not that that is really a reason I'm agianst it, I just know it would happen lol)

worlds should only be 5 and 6

worlds should only be 5 and 6

Oh. I completly agree with you. but if this division were to happen, there would be people who would want it to be a worlds division. (Again, not a reason for it NOT to be a division, just stating.)

You are making such a bold statement that I have a big problem with. Yes, tumbling is minute compared to building skills on the scoresheet, but it is a chunk that cannot be ignored. Competitions are won/lost by very few points... especially at worlds... so those few points (PER JUDGE) make a big difference in the end. A level 5 or 6 international team that fields tumbling that is not level 5 is not going to be successful on the big stages.

Hmm, tigres placed 2nd in ioag6 and ece placed thirdvwhen ece had better tumbling. That's proof right there. I'm sorry you have a problem with that.

I do not think that Open 4 would ever be at worlds, but for other nationals it would be great. Maybe start at cheersport since they already have the college level 4 (intermediate) division. I just know from me personally when I stopped cheering I was at level 4 so having an Open 4 then would have given me an opportunity to continue with cheer. I know that a lot of those college cheerleaders or graduated seniors really want to compete at worlds, but having a division to suit their needs will help them progress to hav a better chance on a level 5 or 6 Open team.

It has been said before that the lower levels make up more of the cheerleading world then the level 5 athletes so to go from graduating at level 3 or 4 and going straight to 6 is a HUGE step. Looks at gyms like Stingrays and Georgia who have amazing level 4 teams who graduate athletes every year. They could make legit Open 4 teams with those athletes who stay in the area and want to continue to cheer.

Also I think it would help with smaller gyms to make Open teams. A lot of smaller gyms have trouble making legit level 5 teams (youth-college age) so having an Open 4 could help them build more teams for their gym that would be stronger competitively.

Hmm, tigres placed 2nd in ioag6 and ece placed thirdvwhen ece had better tumbling. That's proof right there. I'm sorry you have a problem with that.

Level 6 should not be a step down from level 5 though

If anything, it should be changed to add to the tumbling, such as allowing double backs. Currently it is the only level that doesn't progress in all aspects from the previous level.

I think i agree with ariel on this one, that we cant keep catering to everyone thats out there. I thought about it in a way comparing it to other sports. If you are a football player or baseball or basketball, when you graduate high school if your not at the elite level what do you do? You play for a DII or DIII school, and if you cant do that, you can either play intramural or just not play at all. And once you graduate college, thats it, you're done unless you're going to the NFL or MLB or NBA.
As a cheerleader after high school you can go cheer in college. If you're not a level 5 or 6 tumbler you have the option to cheer for a smaller college that doesnt require those higher level skills. Not everyone has to cheer for the UofL's and UK's and SFA's and HPU's of the world. I know were talking about continuing with all star and not college, but i think if an open four division is added even less people will continue to cheer for the smaller schools because they will have the opportunity to cheer for an all star team that doesnt require the higher level skills.
Also if people cant afford an open 6 division and thats why there are so few teams, why would an open four be any different?

you can go ahead and bite my head off now :) haha
and sorry if that was all jumbled, it was hard to get it on paper the way i was thinking it in my head.

Back