High School Wwyd? - High School Uniforms Or Lack Thereof

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We are not even allowed to make warmups a mandatory purchase. Poms are supplied by the school. Last year the bow was a gift from the booster club, I believe it was given to the new girls this season as well. The only mandatory outside purchase are cheer sneakers.
Thats not to say that most girls don't buy all the items offered on the clothing order, they just cannot be required to.

Same here. Uniform is the school, the poms are through our 'account'-essentially money we raised through fundraising for extras. Our coach also uses this money for those that really can't pay for anything beyond shoes. Our warm ups are not mandatory and we stick with the style for a while. The ones we got my sophomore year phased out the year two seasons after I graduated. We also were sent to get them embroidered at Lids (they gave us a discount).

Every school activity, sport and academic class has an account. Fundraising is how most luxuries are funded-you want a nice prom? You got to fundraise. We have boosters but they go to more school wide perks, individual classes/groups raise their money for their events. The only sport with a lot of 'gear' is the boys bball team bc their Coach has a uniform connect.

Is the prices also connected to if cheer is a sport in your state? My state recognizes us as a sport so the buses are included in the county budget, the comp fee is non-existent.

Last edited:
Same here. Uniform is the school, the poms are through our 'account'-essentially money we raised through fundraising for extras. Our coach also uses this money for those that really can't pay for anything beyond shoes. Our warm ups are not mandatory and we stick with the style for a while. The ones we got my sophomore year phased out the year two seasons after I graduated. We also were sent to get them embroidered at Lids (they gave us a discount).

Every school activity, sport and academic class has an account. Fundraising is how most luxuries are funded-you want a nice prom? You got to fundraise. We have boosters but they go to more school wide perks, individual classes/groups raise their money for their events. The only sport with a lot of 'gear' is the boys bball team bc their Coach has a uniform connect.

Is the prices also connected to if cheer is a sport in your state? My state recognizes us as a sport so the buses are included in the county budget, the comp fee is non-existent.
I don't think prices of cheer have to do with it bring s sport but more with how your school districts allocates the budget for sports as well as how seriously cheer is taken by the community. Cp's HS has a dance line/kick line team that has won UDA several times (although not recently) and cheer was always second rate compared to them. Cheer in general in our community stinks in comparison to other towns (which is why cp got into all stars at such a young age). We don't even have a good feeder youth league anymore; we did for about 10-12 years but politics tore it apart unfortunately.

There are quite a few school districts around here who spend thousands a year on cheer - fundraisers galore - and it's much more prestigious to cheer there than where we live. And those are the schools that place high in finals at UCA and now States.

I don't think prices of cheer have to do with it bring s sport but more with how your school districts allocates the budget for sports as well as how seriously cheer is taken by the community. Cp's HS has a dance line/kick line team that has won UDA several times (although not recently) and cheer was always second rate compared to them. Cheer in general in our community stinks in comparison to other towns (which is why cp got into all stars at such a young age). We don't even have a good feeder youth league anymore; we did for about 10-12 years but politics tore it apart unfortunately.

There are quite a few school districts around here who spend thousands a year on cheer - fundraisers galore - and it's much more prestigious to cheer there than where we live. And those are the schools that place high in finals at UCA and now States.

I was saying if you're considered a 'sport' at the state level, then some of the expenses are not burdened on the athlete because there is a budget for some things already in place. For example, our neighbor county is bigger, has equal wealth (even better family income), and tends to be the best at cheer. They cut their winter bball cheer because they didn't want to spend money on the buses to and from games, or coaches pay. Had nothing to do with the athletes who could pay a fee (many went to do AS instead, thus making them even better).

Our boys bball program is one of the best in the state. The district's budget doesn't cover their 4 uniforms and travel expenses. That's all money they raised/pulled out their pocket.

I was saying if you're considered a 'sport' at the state level, then some of the expenses are not burdened on the athlete because there is a budget for some things already in place. For example, our neighbor county is bigger, has equal wealth (even better family income), and tends to be the best at cheer. They cut their winter bball cheer because they didn't want to spend money on the buses to and from games, or coaches pay. Had nothing to do with the athletes who could pay a fee (many went to do AS instead, thus making them even better).

Our boys bball program is one of the best in the state. The district's budget doesn't cover their 4 uniforms and travel expenses. That's all money they raised/pulled out their pocket.
The only difference is now with the uniforms, the school pays for them.

So for all of you that have team sets of uniforms, how do you decide how many of what sizes to order??? Our varsity rep comes and individually sizes each girl. Skirt and top lengths are customized to them. Do you just do this for the team you have and hope they fit next season, order a set amount of each size, or what? Do you allow for growth in the program or do uniforms determine how many on a squad? Band uniforms are the only thing that belongs to the school around here, and I know for that we order extras and the students pay a rental fee for their use so there will be money for new ones as needed, but those aren't nearly as fit specific.

With our uniforms, when we got our new uniforms last year we ordered 25 Varsity uniforms sized to each girl specifically by our Varsity rep. Our JV team used the old Varsity uniforms which I believe we had 20 of.

This season we had tryouts in June and had all of the girls get sized to see what we needed. We had to order a few smaller sizes and a few bigger sizes for both our JV and Varsity uniform; I want to say we ordered 7 tops and 5 bottoms total, which boosters paid for.

Now we have a nice range of sizes across the board. We also decided to make the JV & Varsity uniform universal for next year (which the school is kindly covering). So in total we will have 40 uniforms of all different sizes (we have very petite girls and some very muscular girls so our sizes literally range from xs to xl). 40 is the cap for our program size (JV & Varsity combined; we had 39 this year).

So for all of you that have team sets of uniforms, how do you decide how many of what sizes to order??? Our varsity rep comes and individually sizes each girl. Skirt and top lengths are customized to them. Do you just do this for the team you have and hope they fit next season, order a set amount of each size, or what? Do you allow for growth in the program or do uniforms determine how many on a squad? Band uniforms are the only thing that belongs to the school around here, and I know for that we order extras and the students pay a rental fee for their use so there will be money for new ones as needed, but those aren't nearly as fit specific.

If the school was buying we got sized, and you got that uniform back every year and if necessary traded around.

You could get the uniform altered but they preferred the fabric not be cut

It worked the same way when my sister cheered there several years after me

Presently my former high school has at least 38 varsity side line cheerleaders, so they ordered extra uniforms for the additional cheerleaders

For the squad I coach, the Uniform isn't Varsity brand.... they're Omni or whatever, so sizes don't matter in a sense that it doesn't break the account to drop $20 on a new uniform for a kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the school was buying we got sized, and you got that uniform back every year and if necessary traded around.

You could get the uniform altered but they preferred the fabric not be cut

It worked the same way when my sister cheered there several years after me

Presently my former high school has at least 38 varsity side line cheerleaders, so they ordered extra uniforms for the additional cheerleaders

For the squad I coach, the Uniform isn't Varsity brand.... they're Omni or whatever, so sizes don't matter in a sense that it doesn't break the account to drop $20 on a new uniform for a kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what happened with my daughter her freshman year. The only skirt they had was a stretched out large (she joined second season) so I found it online - it was stock and discontinued - and bought her the right size for $20.

We buy uniforms based on the athletes the year of the new uniform. I will typically buy 3 extra in our most "common" sizes. For example our last uniform I got an extra 30, 32, and 36 sized tops bc they're our most common sizes and can be altered up or down to cover anyone from a size 28 to 40. Skirts I bought an extra 5, 7 and 9, again because alteration wise I can cover sizes 4 to 10 easily. The following years I make as many work as I can. It usually works out pretty well, but it's like a puzzle to figure out who gets what and usually takes me a couple of days. Occasionally I'll need fillers, but I try to fit as many that can make it work before placing a full order. As long as your strict about what alterations people can make, varsity uniforms hold up well.

I don't limit my team size by uniform. If I have talented hard working kids available, I don't want to lose them bc of uniforms. Most of our uniforms have gathered enough inventory over the years that it works. We have 1 uniform that doesn't get used some seasons bc varsity can no longer make it. So if the sizes and numbers don't work, we just don't use that uni that season.

I wish I could answer this. I do not know how the booster club was set up tax-wise, but this is how the fund distribution is handled, and all the money is completely independent of anything that goes on with the school budget. I don't think it technically goes to one child in that if a girl leaves mid-season, or still has money in "her account" at the end of the season and is a senior, nothing is issued back to that individual but it all would go into the general fund. If you'd like, I can ask someone who used to be on the board who I don't think would mind explaining the whole thing.
If you get the chance I'm interested. I don't know if there
Thank you. I rememeber reading an old article about the cost of high school cheer at some schools and how difficult it is for some families... legit saw one school whose first-year cheerleaders paid $3500 to cheer. Nuts when you see successful, nationally competitive programs charging their athletes less than half of that.
Our varsity team runs about $3000 all in for a new girl. I do my research, and pretty much every single team in our nationals division is the same. (This doesn't include the ones I couldn't find any info on.) Most years we fundraise around $1500 per girl, the goal is always to help as much as possible.

Our JV runs around $750 for a new girl and $500ish for old girls. Returners usually just have the cost of camp and camp clothes. Most years we fundraise the majority of the season making it a couple hundred at most. We've had seasons where the only expense for the year is shoes. Our basics (warm-ups, bodyliners, bloomers, bags, shoes) are the same for both teams so a girl on JV moving up to varsity will already own most the items.

A little over $2000 of what they pay goes directly to Varsity in some way or form. The checks we write to them are insane. Our nationals bill alone for rooms, packages etc for everyone traveling with our group is just shy of $70,000. If we jumped out of the nationals race, the varsity squad would run the same price wise as JV. We are in a very well off, big UCA area. Nationals is the expectation. We typically do really well, but it can get exhausting and sometimes you want to jump off the hampster wheel.

@AScheer I will see if I can find out.

ETA: The person told me that from what she understood, they are only allowed to carry a small balance from year to year that is tax sheltered as a non-profit. It is all in one account and the treasure of cheer board keeps the breakdown for each girl. She said Girl Scouts do not pay taxes on income from fundraising either, and it may have to do with how and where the account is set up. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
If you get the chance I'm interested. I don't know if there

Our varsity team runs about $3000 all in for a new girl. I do my research, and pretty much every single team in our nationals division is the same. (This doesn't include the ones I couldn't find any info on.) Most years we fundraise around $1500 per girl, the goal is always to help as much as possible.

Our JV runs around $750 for a new girl and $500ish for old girls. Returners usually just have the cost of camp and camp clothes. Most years we fundraise the majority of the season making it a couple hundred at most. We've had seasons where the only expense for the year is shoes. Our basics (warm-ups, bodyliners, bloomers, bags, shoes) are the same for both teams so a girl on JV moving up to varsity will already own most the items.

A little over $2000 of what they pay goes directly to Varsity in some way or form. The checks we write to them are insane. Our nationals bill alone for rooms, packages etc for everyone traveling with our group is just shy of $70,000. If we jumped out of the nationals race, the varsity squad would run the same price wise as JV. We are in a very well off, big UCA area. Nationals is the expectation. We typically do really well, but it can get exhausting and sometimes you want to jump off the hampster wheel.
Do girls on varsity typically pay the remaining $1500 out of pocket, or do they do more fundraising?

@AScheer I will see if I can find out.

ETA: The person told me that from what she understood, they are only allowed to carry a small balance from year to year that is tax sheltered as a non-profit. It is all in one account and the treasure of cheer board keeps the breakdown for each girl. She said Girl Scouts do not pay taxes on income from fundraising either, and it may have to do with how and where the account is set up. Hope that helps!
Thanks for asking! I appreciate the info, it's definitely something I want to learn more about.

Back