All-Star Yo, Gymtyme Is Not Playing This Year.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I didn't want to say anything here because it's tough to say anything about this without stepping on someone's toes.

I am absolutely 150% impressed by GymTyme. The first time I watched that routine I was absolutely blown away and didn't even catch that the stunt was illegal/not illegal/legal everywhere except Hawaii and Alaska. I am not taking anything away from them because it's NOT their fault that the system is like this. That routine is the business and they will definitely continue to win with it, regardless of that stunt (whether they choose to keep it or not).

However, I am shocked at how this was dealt with (this does not regard GymTyme at all). Flip flopping on a legality decision seems absolutely ridiculous to me. If the person who actually wrote the rule initially says it's illegal according to HIS rules, it's illegal. How could he be confused about his own rule?

Additionally, the way this is made "legal" totally defeats the purpose of the rule. It's almost laughable that our rules system is like this. The intention of the rule is clear. It was quite obviously written so that flyers were not coming down on their stomachs. It was not that the 180 degree position was unsafe and the 179 degree was. In my opinion, calling that stunt legal seriously compromises the safety of our athletes. If we are more concerned with a cool stunt that, in my opinion, is pretty much illegal than safety, we need a serious priority check. Prone is coming down on the stomach, not being completely 100% parallel to the ground. In the stunt in question, the flyers are in the prone position. That's all there is to it.

In the future, I would hope that issues like this would be dealt with in a very different way. I'd hope that if the general premise of the rule is broken but the rule is "open to interpretation" (FWIW, IMO, this one is not) that a team is warned and that the element in question is required to come out. There is no point in having rules if there is going to be so much "bending" to them. I would also hope that any coach with a dangerous element like this in a routine would seriously consider changing it. Accidents happen, no matter how well trained an athlete is. I strongly believe that the GT coaches know what they're doing, but this one really worries me.

..."Off my soapbox".

I didn't want to say anything here because it's tough to say anything about this without stepping on someone's toes.

I am absolutely 150% impressed by GymTyme. The first time I watched that routine I was absolutely blown away and didn't even catch that the stunt was illegal/not illegal/legal everywhere except Hawaii and Alaska. I am not taking anything away from them because it's NOT their fault that the system is like this. That routine is the business and they will definitely continue to win with it, regardless of that stunt (whether they choose to keep it or not).

However, I am shocked at how this was dealt with (this does not regard GymTyme at all). Flip flopping on a legality decision seems absolutely ridiculous to me. If the person who actually wrote the rule initially says it's illegal according to HIS rules, it's illegal. How could he be confused about his own rule?

Additionally, the way this is made "legal" totally defeats the purpose of the rule. It's almost laughable that our rules system is like this. The intention of the rule is clear. It was quite obviously written so that flyers were not coming down on their stomachs. It was not that the 180 degree position was unsafe and the 179 degree was. In my opinion, calling that stunt legal seriously compromises the safety of our athletes. If we are more concerned with a cool stunt that, in my opinion, is pretty much illegal than safety, we need a serious priority check. Prone is coming down on the stomach, not being completely 100% parallel to the ground. In the stunt in question, the flyers are in the prone position. That's all there is to it.

In the future, I would hope that issues like this would be dealt with in a very different way. I'd hope that if the general premise of the rule is broken but the rule is "open to interpretation" (FWIW, IMO, this one is not) that a team is warned and that the element in question is required to come out. There is no point in having rules if there is going to be so much "bending" to them. I would also hope that any coach with a dangerous element like this in a routine would seriously consider changing it. Accidents happen, no matter how well trained an athlete is. I strongly believe that the GT coaches know what they're doing, but this one really worries me.

..."Off my soapbox".

You know whats funny? Besides the legality (and one persons immaturity) I have not said anything bad about GT. I re-read all my posts to double check. Course that all gets lost in the fray.

You know whats funny? Besides the legality (and one persons immaturity) I have not said anything bad about GT. I re-read all my posts to double check. Course that all gets lost in the fray.

Something King says getting lost in the fray, when Atlanta freezes over and gets a half a "foot" of snow.. Never..

Well, Billy's Got His Gym-Glasses On. You know how that goes...

Well, Billy's Got His Gym-Glasses On. You know how that goes...

I was trying to remember the quote I was thinking of, but google only gave me this (that does in fact meet my needs):

"It is only through disruptions and confusion that we grow, jarred out of ourselves by the collision of someone else's private world with our own."

I was trying to remember the quote I was thinking of, but google only gave me this (that does in fact meet my needs):

"It is only through disruptions and confusion that we grow, jarred out of ourselves by the collision of someone else's private world with our own."

Gimme a few minutes to mull that one over and I'll get back to you...lol. I think I wrote an essay about how that quote affected my life for my Stanford app.

I would like to see a "plain English" section added to each rule which briefly and clearly states the intent of the rule. Anything that clearly violates the "spirit" of a safety guideline will be deemed illegal - regardless of whether the coach can find some obscure loophole within the wording to twist the meaning. We are supposed to be following rules to make things safer - not seeing who is the best at finding hyper-technical wording mistakes/oversights in the guidelines.

NOTE: Not faulting the coaches who find loopholes - faulting the process that allows this.

All of that being said - I do not even sort of envy the thankless job Les S. has. He is often called on to make very tough decisions that are going to piss people off either way he decides. I completely trust that he is as objective and fair as possible.

Actually, you started this thread by asking the question WHO can beat them this year:

http://fierceboard.com/forum/threads/yo-gymtyme-is-not-playing-this-year.11752/

I stated, matter of fact, that because of the Worlds scoresheeets they are very beatable:

http://fierceboard.com/forum/threads/yo-gymtyme-is-not-playing-this-year.11752/#post-264885

You then countered with wild accusations of the incorrectness of cheerleading because of placement:

http://fierceboard.com/forum/threads/yo-gymtyme-is-not-playing-this-year.11752/#post-265119

To which I countered with this:

http://fierceboard.com/forum/threads/yo-gymtyme-is-not-playing-this-year.11752/#post-265144

And you responded you had.

To which I said an answer to your retort and THEN stated an even deeper reason of why they shouldn't win, the legality of their stunt.

and here we are.

maybe it was just my browser, and everyone had a different ad, but i found it very amusing that right under this post my ad said BOOYAH.

I would like to see a "plain English" section added to each rule which briefly and clearly states the intent of the rule. Anything that clearly violates the "spirit" of a safety guideline will be deemed illegal - regardless of whether the coach can find some obscure loophole within the wording to twist the meaning. We are supposed to be following rules to make things safer - not seeing who is the best at finding hyper-technical wording mistakes/oversights in the guidelines.

NOTE: Not faulting the coaches who find loopholes - faulting the process that allows this.

All of that being said - I do not even sort of envy the thankless job Les S. has. He is often called on to make very tough decisions that are going to piss people off either way he decides. I completely trust that he is as objective and fair as possible.

Were you listening in on the phone call King & I had this weekend?

I think there are exceptions rather the stunt was illegal or not they were not made aware of it! I think an example of situations where rules were ignored is for exmaple I still till this day do not know how top gun got away with wearing those show covers over their shoes! I remember whenever f5 were allowed to wear there gloves becuase they was sewn to the uniform! I think situations like this are clearly illegal and ignored in situations like this.

If they are to take the same stunt to Cheersport and the judge there calls it illegal by their interpretation of the rule, will their calling be overruled by Les's ruling of it being legal? I am beginning to wonder if they will somehow change the stunt anyway just because it has caused this much of a frenzy over it.

Back