All-Star Yo, Gymtyme Is Not Playing This Year.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

People are acting like this is the first time something like this has ever happened.
There have been TONS of times where the judges were wrong, and other teams have gotten away with something.

Why this is being dragged further than it should, I do not know. -_-

Idk... Maybe so it stops happening?

talking about it on the fierceboard will not solve anything, sorry to inform you.

You're SO right! Open Discussion has NEVER solved anything ever....thank you sooo much for clarifying that to all of us....as for this topic GT is an awesome program as im sure anyone can attest...and this stunt certainly looks incredible...but cheerleading needs more of a definitive CAN/CANNOT system....grey areas are great for coaches and choreographers alike it keeps all of us pushing the industry to its boundaries and beyond...however in an instance like this where that grey area also pushes into safety i think we should take a step back from being creative and think about safety...watch any video from the 80's and i think most of you will agree that we are glad that many of those elements have been outlawed. Cool looking or not. Long Live The Mini Tramp and running 3 high pyramids! haha

You're SO right! Open Discussion has NEVER solved anything ever....thank you sooo much for clarifying that to all of us....as for this topic GT is an awesome program as im sure anyone can attest...and this stunt certainly looks incredible...but cheerleading needs more of a definitive CAN/CANNOT system....grey areas are great for coaches and choreographers alike it keeps all of us pushing the industry to its boundaries and beyond...however in an instance like this where that grey area also pushes into safety i think we should take a step back from being creative and think about safety...watch any video from the 80's and i think most of you will agree that we are glad that many of those elements have been outlawed. Cool looking or not. Long Live The Mini Tramp and running 3 high pyramids! haha
It has come to a point where everything is being said in a different word order. The dicussion is very repetitive now and useless. The stunt is NOT going to be called illegal this year, no one on this board can change that. You may think talking about it non stop will, but sorry it won't.

talking about it on the fierceboard will not solve anything, sorry to inform you.

Wow, thanks for enlightening me.

Talking about It here is better than not addressing it at all. You would think some people want our sport to stay shady. Remove Gt from the picture and stop taking this topic so personally and maybe you'll see where others are coming from. To me if a team competes something illegal and gets points for it, any team they beat kinda got cheated. You can't honestly say that doesn't bother you. Being cheated out of a win or bid can't just be a part of cheerleading, we can't continue to ignore it or it will continue to happen. Our sport is always fighting for credibility, but issues like this send us in the opposite direction.

Gt is a huge name and they're constantly being talked about. You can't expect them to perform something Illegal and people not say anything about It. Constantly being put under a microscope is part of being a power house gym, it just comes with the territory.

It has come to a point where everything is being said in a different word order. The dicussion is very repetitive now and useless. The stunt is NOT going to be called illegal this year, no one on this board can change that. You may think talking about it non stop will, but sorry it won't.

I completely disagree that talking about it does nothing. If it did nothing, all the controversy and discussion between not only us but EP's, judges, and Gym owners would never have happened. I personally think its ridiculous that a message forum has the ability to cause anything except small feuds between kids on teams. But I have found the board has more power to the masses than lots of other sources. If it didn't have any 'force' you wouldn't be on here telling us it didn't. You'd be off doing something else. That fact validates and pushes the board even more to have relevancy in our industry. And as long as there is not an official but unbiased (whether in reality or peoples perceptions) place to communicate the board will continue to be what it is.

To all who dont like the board (I am sure there is like one or two.. maybe) if all the loopholes, all the areas in cheer were people feel there are unjustified answers, all the scoresheets that make no sense, all the judges who have to work for different companies and are put in a position to incorrectly judge, all the shadiness in our sport went away tomorrow the board would probably go away the next day. Because then, what would we talk about.

So, out or respect of the original intent of the thread (no matter the OP's poor choice of words) I will start a second thread for people to share their GT love.

To the OP - Remember do not ask a question if you don't want an answer.

I think that the rules need to be spelled out word for word what the meanings are, even if it makes it a lengthy rule it will make it so that things like this do not happen. Grey areas happen, but if the rules were explained in more detail maybe it would help eliminate the grey area. It is all in the wording and if the wording is fixed then I feel less loopholes may happen.

I also feel like there should be more than 1 person that says something is legal or illegal. Les is great at what he does, but I feel like there needs to be a group of 3 or 4 people that come together to make the decision instead of putting the pressure on 1 person to make all parties involved satisfied.

I think if it just said "release moves may not land in a prone position" that would solve the problem, and the rule would be shorter

You say repetitive...I think it's simply that many of us agree on the same points...and discussion is never useless...the greatest winds of change start from the smallest breath of discussion.

Well what are they getting payed for?
I think our sport as a whole needs to starts looking at issues like this more seriously. If you're a safety judge you should know the rules and be able to catch issues while watching. It's not like football or basketball where there is officials on the floor running around with us during our routine, these judges are nice and stationary. In my opinion if someone competes an illegal skill it should be seen and caught everytime. 7 of these stunts were done, how do you miss that!? Maybe we need our legality judges to sit right next to the floor or something. I also feel like there's plenty of people out there capable of reading and understanding the rules for all levels, so why at the end of the day is there only one person who determines what is and isn't legal. I'll take multiple opinions over one any day, especially after an incident like this. If we had only one judge in our countries legal system that ultimately decided every verdict, I would hope when he said your guilty he knew for sure.

I like Gt, I'm not at all trying to take anything away from them, I just feel like this situation with this particular stunt is way bigger than any one gym, it effects our entire sport as a whole.

In SC high school cheerleading, the 1 (sometimes 2) legality judge(s) stand beside the mat and are free to walk around to check grips, pyramid heights, illegal braces/jewelry, make sure people to go out of bounds, etc. I'm sure other states are like this too. Maybe this would help cut down on those uncaught violations.

i dont know if anyone has ever read instructions for a video legality submission. whatever the rulings are for a video that you submit just meerly says, in this specific instance from what is seen, this is legal/illegal. There is always a stipulation that says, just because you submitted this video, doesn't mean it will be legal when you compete. If you got a paper certifying your stunts as legal, whos to say that you wont change it on the competition floor. If someone holds something slightly different then it changes the whole legality, etc.

so this is why it is left up to the legality judges that day. I think this is a good example of why judges should have video playback. And if anything is questioned, then it can be reviewed.

We are now discussing the system of legalities and rules in cheerleading and how to make our current system better. Can you really not see that?

Yes - Since this rule has been deemed LEGAL - The topic has gone from "GT competed an illegal stunt" to "GT is performing an unsafe stunt" I would also like to point out - That even though this stunt is deemed legal due to the flyer not falling in a "prone position" - I would like to direct your attention to the flyer on the far back left - CLEARLY prone...

Back