OT Belly Button Piercing?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
May 17, 2011
Anyone have it done? How bad does it hurt? Be honest. & has your's been infected? also, how do you deal with it for cheer?

i have the bottom of mine done, its kinda different :)
in my opinion it didn't hurt that bad, on a scale of 1-10 probably a 5. The clamp is the most uncomfortable part. Keep in mind though, that your pain tolerance is different than mine, so it might hurt more, or less.
Mine has not gotten infected! :)
It was tender for like a week after i got it done, but it was mostly just if i laid on my stomach.
Tumbling didn't hurt it at all, but some of my friends have felt theirs were sore during tumbling. Stunts, it kinda depends on your position. Idk about a flyer, but basing i had to be careful of it when i was catching. Backing, i never really had problems with. I just keep it on my mind during cheer to make sure nothing goes wrong.
If you are going to get it done, get it done a while before your comps start, because when you take it out, it will start to heal.. when i took mine out for my first few comps i had, had it pierced for about 3 months, and it still closed reallyy fast (literally within 5 minutes it would hurt to put the ring back through) but i know people who don't have that problem, so you might not have that issue. Also make sure of your gyms rules about jewelry, if they will make you take it out for practice i would suggest waiting to get it done, so that you dont waste any money on a piercing that will close.

i have mine done, and I have had it for about 6 years or so. I have a really high pain tolerance, so it didn't bother me at all. what was worse was the "squishing" noise it made when he poked the hole. they literally use a clamp that looks like a hole punch lol for me it just felt like a bee sting. Make sure you follow the directions for cleaning it after you get it done, or it will get infected. I used bactine and qtips, and I had a hoop one in when i first got it, so i'd put bactine all over the ring and rotate it so it got into the actual hole too. the biggest thing you have to watch for is sweating, thats bad news bears, it'll be a fast track to infection. Cheering with it wasn't bad. it was definitely sore the first week after. it kind of felt like your skin does when it stretches after you get sunburned. It really is an easy piercing to take care of. I honestly don't even notice it any more and sometimes forget I have it lol. Even though I do normally try to take it out for practice because I've heard horror stories of it ripping out, especially now that I'm a flyer. Also, I would strongly advise against getting really big dangly ones that are really heavy, because my hole is HUGE now. I have some studs that I can't even wear because the top ball will go through my hole, gross right? but other than that I love it. :)

also, I forgot. when I first got it done, and I was still nervous it would close at comps, I found belly button "retainers" and its just a clear little piece that keeps the hole from closing. do NOT use fishing line. that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. That's just asking for trouble. But definitely make sure you get it pierced enough in advance, because if you try to take it out before you're ready, it'll hurt so bad lol and it'll be a challenge to get another one in. okay. now I think that's everything :)

okay, so i don't have some high pain tolerance i don't think and i got mine done just over a year ago and it didn't hurt me at ALL. none of it. the only part i felt actually was switching the needle with the ring and it's just not expected.
afterwards its a kind of aching pain when you stretch or lay on your stomach, it hurt the first time i tumbled but not anymore after that. for the first 5months (because i was really cautious about it) i practiced with a BIG bandaid over it so it wouldn't get ripped out (i am only a backspot though)
i've never had it get infected, and it's super easy to clean : just three times a day with bactine for me!

I am nervous too @ellie and @cheerislove8 I am actually taking my first year ever off of cheer this upcoming year so I think this would be the time for me to follow through and have it pierced! I am just terrified..I've also heard a ton of horror stories from infections to seeing people have theirs torn out :eek: I really want to get it done though.

For those who have their bellybutton pierced..is there a difference in pain/infection occurence between the top & bottom of the bellybutton. Ha I have a friend who has both the top & bottom pierced and believe it or not it doesn't look a mess, but I only want one for sure! Just curious..I don't even know which is the common one to get pierced Haha

I got mine when I was just about to graduate 8th grade. I got it numbed so it didn't hurt at all. I didn't cheer then, and eventually when I did, I just would take it out because it doesn't really matter if it's out for too long now. In fact I can go months without wearing it and then just wear it whenever I want.

so glad i found this thread! im thinking about getting mine done this summer... im so scared though! i heard people say they have to tape it for cheer practice if they cant take it out yet, does anyone do that?

so glad i found this thread! im thinking about getting mine done this summer... im so scared though! i heard people say they have to tape it for cheer practice if they cant take it out yet, does anyone do that?
ive seen it done plenty of times! i also had tape sometime over my ear cuz i stretched them out!

For those who have their bellybutton pierced..is there a difference in pain/infection occurence between the top & bottom of the bellybutton. Ha I have a friend who has both the top & bottom pierced and believe it or not it doesn't look a mess, but I only want one for sure! Just curious..I don't even know which is the common one to get pierced Haha

The top one is the common one, haha! :)

i've never had the top done, and i have the bottom done, and i don't think it healed any differently than a top one would, a belly button piercing, is a belly button piercing, nothing really special about the top or bottom. ya know?

I am the world's biggest baby when it comes to "needle pain" (...I actually pass out at the sight of them. lol.) and I didn't think it was that bad. I got it done...I guess it was three years ago? Everyone says the clamp is uncomfortable but I didn't mind that at all. The actual needle felt like a quick hard pinch, but then it was over. Nothing unbearable and certainly not so bad that I regret it.

Afterward it hurt for about a week. Just kinda felt like a little pinch a lot of the time. No infections here. Cleaned it religiously.

Hurt pretty bad to tumble for the first few weeks, but I got used to it. I rarely took it out for practice (oops), and only ever even noticed it when catching baskets. Always hurt a little bit - as a base - on that front. Mine took forever to heal so I was always doing a little bit of re-piercing after competitions, so if you don't HAVE to do it while you're still cheering, don't. If you really want it though...go for it. It won't be too bad.

I am the world's biggest baby when it comes to "needle pain" (...I actually pass out at the sight of them. lol.) and I didn't think it was that bad. I got it done...I guess it was three years ago? Everyone says the clamp is uncomfortable but I didn't mind that at all. The actual needle felt like a quick hard pinch, but then it was over. Nothing unbearable and certainly not so bad that I regret it.

Afterward it hurt for about a week. Just kinda felt like a little pinch a lot of the time. No infections here. Cleaned it religiously.

Hurt pretty bad to tumble for the first few weeks, but I got used to it. I rarely took it out for practice (oops), and only ever even noticed it when catching baskets. Always hurt a little bit - as a base - on that front. Mine took forever to heal so I was always doing a little bit of re-piercing after competitions, so if you don't HAVE to do it while you're still cheering, don't. If you really want it though...go for it. It won't be too bad.
i am the same way about needles so that is good to hear!

i really want mine done, but im so nervous, but from reading these comments it makes me less nervous and more eager! Although my mom would like me to wait!

Back