High School Fulls During Basketball Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 4, 2011
Is it illegal for your team to throw any kind of fulls (fulls, full downs, double downs, any spinning where she leaves the hand) off of grass/mats? I know it is where I live, but people constantly break the rule during basketball season. I'm just being curious and nosy!

It was illegal for us, but if someone on the other cheer squad wanted to challenge me by throwing their fulll then there was nothing stopping me from throwing mine. Their coach wouldn't turn us in cause her own athletes are doing it. The only way you get in trouble is if some other cheer coach was there and turned you both in which doesn't happen often.

It is illegal, but many teams unfortunately break these rules. It's sad actually, because the regulations are put in place to make it safer for high school athletes, but coaches feel that ignoring them is ok. It only takes one time though for a serious injury to happen!

West Virginia actually still competes on basketball courts........sigh

I honestly don't see how a basketball floor is any less safe than a hard floor. It might add like a tiny bit of padding but really it doesn't differ by much in my opinion and I've been tumbling on both since I was in 8th grade

A basketball floor is actually easier to tumble on than a hard floor IMO because the hollowness of the floor makes you feel lighter? If that makes sense? Now stunting...I don't really have an opinion on...

a girl on my team throws her full EVERY game. the scary thing is that its really janky and we're scared she won't land it most of the time. My coach knows its illegal, but she claims everytime before she goes shes "just throwing a layout." and does her full.. no way to stop her in the middle.

Its illegal, but I wish the no twisting on a court rule wasn't there because it lets people who don't think cheerleading is a sport see some of the cooler, harder stunts. Most people break it tho. I personally love tumbling on the wood, it just forces me to push it and make sure my form and everything is correct so it doesn't hurt to tumble.. not sure if that makes sense

Its illegal, but I wish the no twisting on a court rule wasn't there because it lets people who don't think cheerleading is a sport see some of the cooler, harder stunts. Most people break it tho. I personally love tumbling on the wood, it just forces me to push it and make sure my form and everything is correct so it doesn't hurt to tumble.. not sure if that makes sense
Same here. I throw my best tumbling on the hardwood because i'm afraid if I dont try extra hard i'll like.... die. hahaha

Last year it was illegal to do double downs on the track & basketball game (sometimes people would do them when the coach wasn't looking though).
Now this year it is illegal to do full downs on the track & basketball court :(

a girl on my team throws her full EVERY game. the scary thing is that its really janky and we're scared she won't land it most of the time. My coach knows its illegal, but she claims everytime before she goes shes "just throwing a layout." and does her full.. no way to stop her in the middle.

If I was the coach, this athlete would never be allowed to tumble on the court, period. Not even a cartwheel. By throwing illegal skills, you (not you, obviously, but the athlete who does this) are not just putting yourself at risk of injury - you're putting me, as the coach who allowed it to happen, at risk of liability, lawsuits and losing my job if you get injured. Not only that, but if a cheerleader gets injured doing a skill at a public event (especially an illegal skill), she runs the risk of making the local school board or athletic governing agency be MORE strict about performing skills than AACCA - maybe they school board would come out with a rule that no one can perform fulls, period, regardless of surface. Maybe no tumbling at all. And the "whoops, was just trying to throw a layout" excuse would work exactly once before you'd no longer tumble on the court. I'm not going to risk it - for you, for me, for anyone.

Maybe I am just from a different time...it only became illegal by my senior and by that time I had been throwing it on there so long, people in the crowd would yell for me to throw it and no one questioned whether I would land it or not. It is probably a bigger deal now. If I was at risk of getting my coach in trouble I probably wouldnt throw it for that reason and that reason only. Not because I think it is unsafe...because quite frankly I have probably throw 50 or more fulls on a hardwood floor and even tumbled out of them and never hurt myself. Now do people throw them who have no business throwing them? yes. But that is when the coach needs to step in.

Personally the rule
Is crazy think about it you can't full down from
A prep without a mat - seriously its
Not even an elite skill - most novice
Levels in our area you perform
The skill it makes zero sense to me
:-/. Let us coach and make approp decisions

I just don't see the point in High School cheerleading anymore. Sure you're cheering on your team but how far are they going to limit you until you are forced to go to an all-star gym just to actually be able to stunt? No full downs? really? Maybe in Middle school...but high school?

The rule is actually no released twists on courts at all. So even just a 1/4 turn cradle from, say, an arabesque to a cradle to the front is actually illegal. I'd have to agree that it is a bit of overkill. At the same time, good coaches can make routines, stunts and pyramids look exciting and crowd-pleasing and *still* fit within the bounds of the rules. Creativity and having a good grasp of the rules goes a long way.

The key thing is that its only limited on court floors..... and trust me, if any of you become NCA or UCA staffers you will understand why these rules are put in place. You will get teams every camp that will say "oh yes we can full down no problem!" so you wait to check them off for a safety test and then you watch a "janky elbows out nose dive twist myself jump out of cradle and hope the bases catch me down" then refrain making the "Oh God, please no one break an arm" face. I would say that for every 1 team that does a twisting skill correctly, there are 2 that do it incorrectly....and those are the ones that are most adamant about showing off the skill.

Twist all you want on the grass or mats or football field. Don't do it on the courts. Easy enough imo.

Really.....there are so many other ways to make a routine creative and impressive than fulls and full/double down cradles or full ups for pep rallies and basketball games.

Back