High School Fulls During Basketball Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Really.....there are so many other ways to make a routine creative and impressive than fulls and full/double down cradles or full ups for pep rallies and basketball games.

Agreed. But you can do full ups if they're not released ;)

The key thing is that its only limited on court floors..... and trust me, if any of you become NCA or UCA staffers you will understand why these rules are put in place. You will get teams every camp that will say "oh yes we can full down no problem!" so you wait to check them off for a safety test and then you watch a "janky elbows out nose dive twist myself jump out of cradle and hope the bases catch me down" then refrain making the "Oh God, please no one break an arm" face. I would say that for every 1 team that does a twisting skill correctly, there are 2 that do it incorrectly....and those are the ones that are most adamant about showing off the skill.

Twist all you want on the grass or mats or football field. Don't do it on the courts. Easy enough imo.

Really.....there are so many other ways to make a routine creative and impressive than fulls and full/double down cradles or full ups for pep rallies and basketball games.
I think I am sheltered...My high school was a team where if you didn't cheer all star, you most likely wouldn't make it. So we never really had problems of poorly executed skills. However, where are the coaches? Isn't it there job to maker sure the athletes can actually do the skills they are performing safely?

I think I am sheltered...My high school was a team where if you didn't cheer all star, you most likely wouldn't make it. So we never really had problems of poorly executed skills. However, where are the coaches? Isn't it there job to maker sure the athletes can actually do the skills they are performing safely?
Many "coaches" are just teachers that get thrown into a coaching position and have no cheer experience or their "experience" was doing the splits and waving pom pons.....in these cases they couldn't tell what a properly executed skill vs. an incorrect skills was, let alone how to teach one. It's something that is tried to be adressed at summer camps, but 1. not all schools go to those and 2. being told something one-two times is not something that necessarily sticks for coaches that have so much going on at camp. I also came from an area where we trained at all star gyms and was very fortunate in high school to have girls know what is correct/incorrect technique even when our coach did not. Staffing really opened my eyes to how many schools are not in that situation however.....especially smaller school districts, less affluent disctricts, and middle schools.

Many "coaches" are just teachers that get thrown into a coaching position and have no cheer experience or their "experience" was doing the splits and waving pom pons.....in these cases they couldn't tell what a properly executed skill vs. an incorrect skills was, let alone how to teach one. It's something that is tried to be adressed at summer camps, but 1. not all schools go to those and 2. being told something one-two times is not something that necessarily sticks for coaches that have so much going on at camp. I also came from an area where we trained at all star gyms and was very fortunate in high school to have girls know what is correct/incorrect technique even when our coach did not. Staffing really opened my eyes to how many schools are not in that situation however.....especially smaller school districts, less affluent disctricts, and middle schools.
Sometimes coaches make things worse. My coach was a college cheerleader and I can not tell you how many time I would try to make suggestions and would get shot down because thats now how they did it back in the day...

I just don't see the point in High School cheerleading anymore. Sure you're cheering on your team but how far are they going to limit you until you are forced to go to an all-star gym just to actually be able to stunt? No full downs? really? Maybe in Middle school...but high school?
Don't see the point? Many high school Cheerleading teams compete in addition to cheering at games. That's why there is still a point. Girls can still get the thrill of competiting but without paying $4000 to be on an all star team. And at competitions you can actually stunt. Stunts are just limited on certain surfaces because of safety issues with the schools.

The key thing is that its only limited on court floors..... and trust me, if any of you become NCA or UCA staffers you will understand why these rules are put in place. You will get teams every camp that will say "oh yes we can full down no problem!" so you wait to check them off for a safety test and then you watch a "janky elbows out nose dive twist myself jump out of cradle and hope the bases catch me down" then refrain making the "Oh God, please no one break an arm" face. I would say that for every 1 team that does a twisting skill correctly, there are 2 that do it incorrectly....and those are the ones that are most adamant about showing off the skill.

Twist all you want on the grass or mats or football field. Don't do it on the courts. Easy enough imo.

I totally agree, same with tumbling! People say they can throw their tuck on the wood floor but when they do it you hold your breath and pray they don't land on their head:) and those are the girls that insist on throwing it over and over again.

Don't see the point? Many high school Cheerleading teams compete in addition to cheering at games. That's why there is still a point. Girls can still get the thrill of competiting but without paying $4000 to be on an all star team. And at competitions you can actually stunt. Stunts are just limited on certain surfaces because of safety issues with the schools.
I didn't mean I don't see the point for everyone, because I know there are girls who live for what high school cheerleading is all about and we need those kind of girls, but for me I love tumbling and stunting and thats why I cheer. And in High school, even when competing your only aloud a limited bit of that, probably for good reason, and for me after doing all-star there is no point anymore. Especially when you compete only once a year, maybe twice if you good or have a coach that likes to go to tons of competitions, and that does not satisfy my need to compete.

This rule isn't only for high school it is also for college cheer as well. At football games they can do the twisting skills but at basketball games it isn't allowed. If they aren't going to let colleges do it then there is no way a high school team should be allowed to do it.

I had no idea it was illegal for college. I knew doubles were. But the then again when your falling from a 2 & 1/2 high pyramid is the grass really going to soften the blow anymore than a basketball court? Not making a statement more of asking a general question?

I didn't mean I don't see the point for everyone, because I know there are girls who live for what high school cheerleading is all about and we need those kind of girls, but for me I love tumbling and stunting and thats why I cheer. And in High school, even when competing your only aloud a limited bit of that, probably for good reason, and for me after doing all-star there is no point anymore. Especially when you compete only once a year, maybe twice if your good or have a coach that likes to go to tons of competitions, and that does not satisfy my need to compete.
Compete only once a year? That has to be awful..we compete around 7-8 times a year. I love stunting and tumbling too and I don't think high school cheer competitions limit those things at all.

Compete only once a year? That has to be awful..we compete around 7-8 times a year. I love stunting and tumbling too and I don't think high school cheer competitions limit those things at all.
We would compete at high school regionals, then maybe nationals if we made. I think now all they do is go to cheersport...which is only once a year.

We would compete at high school regionals, then maybe nationals if we made. I think now all they do is go to cheersport...which is only once a year.
Wow, we do regionals, UCA nationals, state regionals, state (if we make it) and other local competitions

Agreed. But you can do full ups if they're not released ;)

Which again makes no sense - so a full up is less advanced then a prep full down - me personally our full ups have far more issues than our full downs from any position - there is no way I would even have my team working a full up if they had not first mastered a simple prep
Full down lol

Its illegal, but I wish the no twisting on a court rule wasn't there because it lets people who don't think cheerleading is a sport see some of the cooler, harder stunts. Most people break it tho. I personally love tumbling on the wood, it just forces me to push it and make sure my form and everything is correct so it doesn't hurt to tumble.. not sure if that makes sense
I wish I could agree with you.....but there's too much at stake. The games are not competition, and the audience are not judges. In most cases a RBH looks impressive to them, an extension is impressive to them, so doing a full does not make much of a difference. I have a younger sister who is just starting to through her full on the spring floor....the last thing the younger girls need is to try and copy what they see older cheerleaders do and end up hurting themselves.....JMO

I wish I could agree with you.....but there's too much at stake. The games are not competition, and the audience are not judges. In most cases a RBH looks impressive to them, an extension is impressive to them, so doing a full does not make much of a difference. I have a younger sister who is just starting to through her full on the spring floor....the last thing the younger girls need is to try and copy what they see older cheerleaders do and end up hurting themselves.....JMO

I agree with you. At games the tumbling passes that get the crowd the most hype are RO BHS Series. It's like the more flips you do the better they think you are.

Back