High School Fulls During Basketball Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh dear, calm down hunny.
Though I could go on for days and days about what is hindering the progress of cheer, and the safety therin, Im not going to. All Im gonna say is that, my full, though not perfect, is much safer than most of what highschoolers in my area are doing. Idk about the rest of the country, but where Im from (The Midwest) most teams havent even seen a full. Like ever.
State sophomore year, a girl broke her arm in 3 places doing a chair. A CHAIR.
My full is leaps and bounds above the sketchy sketch tucks and extended libs other teams do (two of the HS we compete against can only lib with two elevator braces). Me doing a full and touching with my ariel awareness is safer than the tucks that girls are falling out of at every game.

I don't care how safe you think your full is it is illegal and that is that. If you have an accident that school and coach is in trouble. Your accident could cost that coach her job and your school could do away with the cheerleaders. Once again if I were your coach and you did a full on the basketball court without a mat down you would be off that team because I would not risk it. If you can't follow the rules then you don't need to be a high school cheerleader.

Oh and lastly I am calm, I just don't like people who can't follow the rules and think it is perfectly fine to so.

People in the student section ask girls on my team to do fulls all the time.
My coach, being smart, isn't willing to risk our ability to throw a full in the future. There's a chance that we do one at a basketball game, just to show off, look cool, whatever, and tear our ACL. I'd much rather cheer in college/only do fulls on turf, mats, or grass than do one at a basketball. It's just a game, not a competition. And yes, high schoolers are smart, but the majority of the crowd has little to no knowledge of what cheerleaders do. Most would call a full 'that twisty spinny thing'. Do a front walkover through to a tuck and I think the crowd will still be impressed.

And as impressive as fulls are on the gym floor, I doubt any of you would ever send in a tape to a D1 college of you doing a full on the gym floor - because it's illegal. Now I've never been a coach, but I highly doubt an entire collegiate coaching staff is willing to risk their jobs for you "not curring" or thinking yours isn't "sketch sketchy" and you should do it anyways.

This is only half way on topic. Since people are talking about tumbling at school I have a question for them. My daughter is currently in elementary school in TN. No she is not on a school cheer team or anything like that but maybe someone can answer this for me.

Last year in kindergarten she did her back walkover 1 time at school and the teacher told her to not do it again.

This year I know she has threw her RO BHS several times and no one cares that she does it. I don't care if she throws her BHS but I did tell her that she better not throw her tuck just because she just got it.

So should she not be allowed or is there suppose to be a rule that she isn't suppose to do this?

I'm a teacher. I'm certified through USA Gymnastics and USASF. I have 20 years of coaching experience. I was a level 10 gymnast, and a college cheerleader. When my students do back handsprings at recess, and I'm on recess duty-they lose the rest of their recess (they have to sit out). I simply will not allow them to do it on my watch (not a single one of them is properly trained, they have all learned on the streets).

I don't let my students tumble either. To me it presents an unnessesary risk. Even if the child had proper training in the off chance that they got hurt I'm sure the school would be liable. Not to mention there are tons of other kids that are running around. There is sure to be at least a minor injury if a tumbler collides with another student.

Silly question: Are all school cheer teams subject to these rules? I honestly don't think our HS coaches are aware of them. My freshman CP throws her full all the time during basketball season (football too) on the turf and court. I know that if they knew it was illegal, they would not allow it.

Silly question: Are all school cheer teams subject to these rules? I honestly don't think our HS coaches are aware of them. My freshman CP throws her full all the time during basketball season (football too) on the turf and court. I know that if they knew it was illegal, they would not allow it.

I want to say yes it is illegal for them but I am honestly not 100%. I know that in some states they follow different guidelines (WV is one of them).

In some places, AACCA or NFHS rules may have the force of law (as in, it is codified in some law that coaches and athletes must follow these standards) but lots of places don't have these kind of laws. These skills are only "illegal" in that there are widely-recognized organizations (AACCA and NFHS) that have established rules based on the safety of athletes, and these rules establish a basic "standard of care." So, while it might not be specifically in a law in your locality that your CP's team HAS to follow these rules, it is really best practice to do so: in the event of an injury and subsequent lawsuit, the coaches and school could be held liable for not following the basic standards established by widely-recognized safety organizations.

Here's a link to the rules:

2011-12 School Cheerleading Rules

Here's a link to the online AACCA safety course:

Cheer safety course goes online
- I highly recommend that all school coaches take this course - it talks about all kinds of risk management, it only takes a couple of hours to complete, and costs $75 (which is waaaaay less than a lawsuit, trust.)

I want to say yes it is illegal for them but I am honestly not 100%. I know that in some states they follow different guidelines (WV is one of them).

WV follows AACCA rules, don't they? They compete without mats, but cheerleaders don't do released twisting skills or tosses on the court.

WV follows AACCA rules, don't they? They compete without mats, but cheerleaders don't do released twisting skills or tosses on the court.

They may I am not sure. I just always figured that they didn't because they competed fulls and such on a basketball court. They can no longer do those things though so I really don't know.

This is only half way on topic. Since people are talking about tumbling at school I have a question for them. My daughter is currently in elementary school in TN. No she is not on a school cheer team or anything like that but maybe someone can answer this for me.

Last year in kindergarten she did her back walkover 1 time at school and the teacher told her to not do it again.

This year I know she has threw her RO BHS several times and no one cares that she does it. I don't care if she throws her BHS but I did tell her that she better not throw her tuck just because she just got it.

So should she not be allowed or is there suppose to be a rule that she isn't suppose to do this?
If your daughter is not on a cheer team or doing tumbling at or during a non-cheer activity, it is an absolute NO!.....not that there is a rule against it; however, it is natural for other kids to follow, even though they may have never done it before, but because it looks cool. The adult supervising can get in a great deal of trouble if one of the kids, including your daughter gets hurt. It is just not a good idea. Now if your daughter loves tumbling, put her in gymnastics or cheerleading. I am sure her coaches will let her know not to do any of her tumbling/stunting unless she is being supervised by one of her coaches or at a minimum, an educated (to the activity) adult.

Back