All-Star I'm Going To Cheat

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That happened with a tiny 1 at USFinals years ago at our old gym. She got pulled up to fill in for my daughters mini 2. Well she did great on mini 2 and went to her tiny 1 where she was the point in standing tumbling and was supposed to do a round off back walk over....

...uh...that'd be a round off back hand spring.

The look on her face when she snapped up was priceless! She remembered she wasn't supposed to do it in mid air. She was like 4-5 at the time.

Given the fact we knew we were gonna finish dead last in that competition with just about every team...our daughters mini 2 finished 8th of 9 that year and we thought we'd won the lottery because we weren't DEAD last, we just thought it ws hilarious.

They're still on the same team today 4 years later, only now that little 9 year old powerhouse with the right resources and coaches has a mean kick double basket and whips through to layout and my son coed stunts her whenever he feels like tossing girls in the air :)
In our very first year in cheer (at our first comp ever actually) the J3 (which had planned to be a J4 until about 2 weeks before the first comp) opened the routine with 4 perfectly landed standing back tucks....

Hmmmm.....my ACEDAD republicanism is threatening to emerge but I'll leave it at this, we have those moms and we also have kids that work jobs to pay their own way through cheer (one just showed up last night to the last summer practice before choreography because she worked all summer to save money to oay for the season) they don't want sympathy....they want to be just like everyone else and I think all of us wants to be judged with an unbiased eye.

Because who wants to win because someone felt sorry for your personal circumstances when we live in a nation that (at least in theory) celebrates perserverance and rising above the circumstances you're given.
I think you may have way overanalyzed the example that Andre gave. During Judges Training last season, I randomly posted pictures of 'single mothers with their kids' to mix things up, bring humor into the meeting, and--most importantly--humanize the judge's perspective of the athletes.

The 'single mom with two jobs so she can put her daughter through all star cheer' symbolizes all the real PEOPLE who's families sacrificed so much just so the youngest daughter in the family would have the chance to compete. Its easy for a panel to get so caught up in scoring, the rubric, penalties, etc that they lose sight of the fact that the decisions they put forth in writing on those scoresheets have a huge impact on actual living, breathing people (be it republican, democrat). When a judge remembers that, they are going to pay a tad more attention and put a little more care into their scoring process.

...and I'll give you a Fierceboards exclusive since nobody knows this until now: Half of the 'single mom' images I posted in that presentation were actually of my mom and sister (both recently deceased) from the era of my life when I cheered. So, there was a bit of personal tribute in there to them--and to anyone who sacrificed to give someone else the chance to cheer.

I still firmly believe that putting every team's group photo (with each athlete's face being clearly visible) on a public web site for every competition eliminates most of the problem. It is has nearly zero cost, simple to implement, and would be highly effective. It would be a huge deterrent and make the enforcement/punishment process MUCH easier - like security cameras at a retail store.

I do get blank stares when I try to argue this at committee and Board meetings, though - so perhaps I am wrong. It just seems like it would be SO much easier to catch cheaters if we did this. You would effectively be crowd-sourcing your investigation process.

Imagine the decision process of whether to use an overage athlete at Worlds if you knew that a picture of each athlete would be available for everyone to see afterwards.

I agree that there should be a photo record of who actually takes the floor.

Athlete registration is great but means nothing if one can't prove who was actually competing.

I also like the idea that a parent does the registration.

higher the better... to small people will try to get away with it... if you set it high smaller competition companies will never even think of it and larger companies wouldn't want to lose that money as well for they have to spend more money for their facilities and event decor (LOL) This will deter all involved!

Money fines will not deter the big gyms. All they will do is increase monthly tuition or charge $50 for that sports bra instead of $45. You have to hit them where it hurts. Don't let them be eligible for bids or don't let them go to Worlds. That will stop it very quickly .

Money fines will not deter the big gyms. All they will do is increase monthly tuition or charge $50 for that sports bra instead of $45. You have to hit them where it hurts. Don't let them be eligible for bids or don't let them go to Worlds. That will stop it very quickly .
True,
so big fines, no bids and no worlds... period! All this will deter!

Back