All-Star Instagram Problem Re: Cheerlebrity Fanfic

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Fan fiction is..... really weird. The author of 50 Shades of Grey started out writing Twilight :confused: fan fiction. That says enough in itself.
good fan fiction is nothing like fifty shades. unfortunately, it's somehow become representative of fan fiction when it really isn't a good example at all. please don't judge an entire group of writers (many of whom are quite talented) because of e.l. james.

good fan fiction is nothing like fifty shades. unfortunately, it's somehow become representative of fan fiction when it really isn't a good example at all. please don't judge an entire group of writers (many of whom are quite talented) because of e.l. james.
I for one just don't really understand the point of writing fan fiction. If you're such a talented writer, why take someone else's characters, or even worse, use real people in your fictional stories? Why not create your own characters and plots? It doesn't make sense to me.

I for one just don't really understand the point of writing fan fiction. If you're such a talented writer, why take someone else's characters, or even worse, use real people in your fictional stories? Why not create your own characters and plots? It doesn't make sense to me.

i agree with you about fan fiction that uses real people. it's just gross and it shouldn't be happening, especially with these things that are popping up on instagram.

but as far as the rest of what you said, i think a lot of the appeal of fan fiction is working with characters you already know and love, because really, that's what fan fiction is--a labor of love. most people aren't going to make money off of it or be recognized for it. it's just a chance to interact with these characters. a lot of the time, it involves AUs, or alternate universes, which take characters out of the established context of the story and gives people the chance to explore them in a completely different situation. i can't speak for every fan fiction author when i explain why i write for the les mis fandom, and i don't want to take over this thread to do that. but most fan fiction authors also write their own completely original stuff, and fan fiction is more of a fun break. if it doesn't make sense to you, that's more than okay. it's not for everyone, and nobody's asking you to do it :)

There is a difference between being a fan and being almost obsessive. I understand looking up to an athlete, but something is wrong if you can just make up these stories about them. Yes, they're talented athletes, but they're also just people. I think that a lot of the "fan girls" forget that. Most fan fiction that I've seen before involved actual fictional characters. (Ex. - Twilight characters.) If they were writing about characters from a book it'd be different. These stories may be fictional, but the people in them aren't. Which, to me, makes this whole thing almost disgusting.

Some people feel very passionate about characters on a tv show or in a book. They develop a very strong connection with them and write fan fiction in order to continue that connection to the characters as well as to others who feel the same way about them. I don't think it diminishes anyone's talent as a writer if that is the way they choose to express themselves. There are some pretty phenomenal fanfic writers out there who will never go on to write their own fiction with their own characters.

Just to give an example - I loved the show My So Called Life. LOVED. It ran for 19 episodes, was canceled after the first season and left everyone hanging not in a good way, wondering where the story would have gone had it been renewed. Someone took the time to write a second season and continue the story in fan fiction in the direction they would have liked to see the show go. And for me it was wonderful to read. Even though I know it was not the real show, it gave me continuation on the characters I loved, closure on some plots, elaboration on others.

My 12 year old wrote some pretty bad One Direction fan fic last year. Yes, it involved "real people" but for her she was just writing what she would like to see happen with them in their interactions with each other and with fans. To her they are as much characters she reads about as they are real people. As far as the cheerleading fanfics go, I am not sure if people are more upset that they used their real names as characters or if it is with the plots that were written about them - the sexual themes, the abuse, etc. - or a combo of both.

As far as the cheerleading fanfics go, I am not sure if people are more upset that they used their real names as characters or if it is with the plots that were written about them - the sexual themes, the abuse, etc. - or a combo of both.
*Edited for space.

For me- Harry Potter was one of the first more 'adult' books I read. It was essentially the series that carried me out of childhood through on to adulthood and literally transformed my life. I have a deep emotional connection, so fanfic keeps me engaged since there is nothing left on it. I've seen some amazing writers transition from fanfiction to trying their hand at their own stories. I've found that having the parameters set by someone else's work makes it easier to write sometimes, as you have a guideline. Believe it or not, having guidelines in creative processes can actually help a person who is new to writing until they develop themselves. Writing your own material from scratch is HARD- I'm trying to write a short film right now, and coming up with characters takes FOREVER. Fanfiction shortens that time process.

I think it's both- they're real people whom we all actually interact with. They're not celebrities in the traditional sense, with an international fan base. That coupled with the ridiculous plots makes things REALLY REALLY weird. When browsing the cheer fanfics I stumbled upon some 1D ones, and it's basically young girls writing themselves in as their girlfriends :p

People are way too obsessive ! These kids need to stop this ! It's not safe for the cheerleaders either. And I never heard about this until it was on here I can't imagine it being so popular

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I tweeted these last night... I never knew how many of these accounts there actually were. I know some people said they were going to report all of them, not sure if they actually went through with it though. But if you're feeling ambitious and want to report, here ya go:
BOD2VlxCQAAWpRS.jpeg
BOD03piCQAAs1RE.jpeg

There are a whole bunch of "cheerlebrity fanfics" on a website called wattpad. They're mostly about cheer athletics but some involve cali, ace, maryland twisters and have some one direction thrown in there

I just skimmed through a few of them and am literally disgusted. And this is coming from someone who reads real fanfiction, as in Harry potter. Trying to imagine those stories with real people literally makes me sick to my stomach. That is not okay.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

coincidently, today i came across Amazon's new "Kindle Worlds"

Announcing Kindle Worlds

you can now publish and charge people to read your fanfic for the shows Amazon has a license for (Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, and Vampire Diaries) i don't like this. it's not completely plagiarism, but it still feels like plagiarism. fan fiction is not an original idea.

and the fan fiction mentioned in this thread is creepy.

Back