High School Male Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just find it funny that of all the times this discussion comes up on the board, it's typically very pro-male flyers. Interesting to see the difference here.

Probably because in this PC world, people are afraid to be honest for fear of being accused of discriminating.

The way I see it. I have reasons for no males flying, so males don't fly.

When I coached baseball, I had reasons for not wanting my team to live or die by the long ball, so we taught and played a lot of small ball.

I get to coach. I get to make the decisions. The day they take that authority away from me as a coach will be the day I give it up and start travel nursing full time.

Probably because in this PC world, people are afraid to be honest for fear of being accused of discriminating.

The way I see it. I have reasons for no males flying, so males don't fly.

When I coached baseball, I had reasons for not wanting my team to live or die by the long ball, so we taught and played a lot of small ball.

I get to coach. I get to make the decisions. The day they take that authority away from me as a coach will be the day I give it up and start travel nursing full time.
What is the "long ball"?

What is the "long ball"?

EDITED: that reference is saying "rather than wanting to sit around passively waiting for someone on my team to hit a homeruns and save the day, we played aggressive baserunning, bunting, hit and run, and did a lot of small things to put runs on the board."

Sorry for the obscure baseball reference. It was really my first love.

Oh Lord! I can't believe I agree with you BUT I DO! And I'm too damn old to care anymore what people think of me or my opinion. PC not PC I don't care. It's MY OPINION. Your reasoning is brilliant and 100% true AND I WISH I had thought of them before I read them. However the truth is I simply do NOT like it for ALL your reasons. But ONLY on the senior aged teams. It doesn't bother me on the younger teams. I couldn't explain why but there it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry as I minority, the use of discrimination when talking about flying is making me laugh. Discrimination and preference are two different things.

According to websters dictionary this is the definition of discrimination-
  1. a : the act of making or perceiving a difference : the act of discriminating a bloodhound's scent discrimination
    b psychology : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
  2. a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individuallyb; prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment
Your argument is fallacious. Discrimination can be based on MANY different things. While the United States has a long history of racial discrimination and it can often color peoples perceptions and outlooks, the existence of racial discrimination does not discount the existence of gender discrimination in any way. By telling a child that no matter his flexibility, body control, height or any other contributing factors he will never fly because of his gender that is discrimination by definition.

According to websters dictionary this is the definition of discrimination-
  1. a : the act of making or perceiving a difference : the act of discriminating a bloodhound's scent discrimination
    b psychology : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
  2. a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individuallyb; prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment
Your argument is fallacious. Discrimination can be based on MANY different things. While the United States has a long history of racial discrimination and it can often color peoples perceptions and outlooks, the existence of racial discrimination does not discount the existence of gender discrimination in any way. By telling a child that no matter his flexibility, body control, height or any other contributing factors he will never fly because of his gender that is discrimination by definition.

I know that discrimination is further than gender discrimination. I would agree if people were saying it is because boys are boys and that's why they can't fly. You're saying the sole reason you can't fly is because you're a boy, solely because of your gender.

There are a few innate differences in the physical build of women and men, and we have different 'norms' and ideals because of it. Women's basketball players play with a smaller ball. Not a because women are inferior and can't play with a bigger ball but because a woman's hand is on average smaller than a man's so it makes the game a bit easier. In fitness testing they have different physical standards for men and women because their bodies are different. Is that discrimination?

But what I'm reading is- I don't let boys fly because they don't really add value to my team in the long run. I rather not teach a pre-pubescent boy how to fly because it might not be helpful when they grow into themselves. That totally makes sense. In fact I never considered it until reading that.

I don't agree with all the comments on it but I don't think this is discrimination at all.

Last edited:
I just find it funny that of all the times this discussion comes up on the board, it's typically very pro-male flyers. Interesting to see the difference here.

Because those who aren't pro-male flyer aren't going to come in here and say as much just to be told they're being sexist and discriminatory.

I've seen it a few times and personally think it's AWESOME if girls can fly why can't guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told (not saying I believe it)
But I was told that in high school it gets you difficulty points to have a boy fly

I'm not sure the logic but curious if its true or not lol
Maybe due to the lack of guys who do school cheer maybe? In my district 1 for PIAA cheer, theres literally about around 5 coed teams out of the I'm gonna say... about 4 dozen high school teams (that compete)? I wish I flew in baskets on my allstar team but in general I'm the 2nd tallest (I'm around 5"11 or 6"1?)

*waiting patiently for Cameron from 20/20 to say something about this*

Last edited:
You're heartbroken now.. what will you tell him when he cannot fly anymore as he has outgrown all his teammates and they refuse to put him up? or when bullies at school push him around and call him horrible names for being the Top Girl on his cheer team? (granted the bullies should become more progressive and not care, but we don't live in a utopia and we know bullies will always exist)

Remember this is a discussion about opinions of routines and teams that utilize male flyers (at the high school level) and cheerleading as a whole is very opinionated and subjective in terms of viewing/judging.

The same thing you tell a girl who grows too tall to fly.

The answer to a kid you fear is going to be bullied is NEVER to tell them to change. Thats the kind of logic that led school administrators to tell my best friend that "If he didn't want to be bullied, maybe he shouldn't be so flamboyant". You don't change a bullied child to make them less susceptible to bullying, you fight bullying and prepare your child for when they face it.

Last edited:
Back