All-Star Multiple Arrests For Local Gym Owner!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And there is a world of difference between being arrested and being convicted. I always thought people were innocent until proven guilty but boy is everyone ready to pick up the pitchforks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I normally agree with this. However, the issue is there is a small window of opportunity here and trials take time, so if an athlete wants a release due to the arrest, they should be granted one - whether the end result is guilty or innocent. Kids first.
Side note: It infuriates me that USASF allows a coach who started the season coaching at Gym A to leave that gym mid season (well after the Nov 1 date and after multiple competitions) and go coach a Worlds team at Gym B, but no matter what the circumstances, if you are an athlete and your gym won't sign a release, you are screwed. The inequity of the release rule is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do personally know of 2 world's kids who have asked to be released but we're denied. As for lower level kids I know a few just left this week. (On a side note does anyone know how this works for summit? Are there release rules in regards to that competition as well?) The problem is I do understand people make mistakes however this isn't a one time isolated event from what I can see or have been told. I understand these things didn't happen at the gym but now a days with kids on twitter and things like @wakemugshots on twitter, things that use to be private are now highly seen by teenagers and now have a greater influence on their lives.

I think you need to decide what issue you're trying to solve by posting here. Do you really care about these kids being released? No releases needed for summit, only if they want to compete at worlds.

Do you care about what the kids may see on twitter? I just did a search on twitter and google and was unable to find anything. Unless his legal name is not the one he uses in the cheer world or this happened so recently that his info hasn't been processed yet, I don't think that should be an issue.

Are you trying to sling mud and hurt a gym owner/parents/kids in the process? I've seen bits of all those concerns in your posts, and I think you'd be a lot more productive if you were up front and honest about what your motives are.

Again. I can't say this enough-this is a very difficult time for us. Have I shed tears over this? Yes. I went through this two years ago. Different circumstances but still heart wrenching. My CP is only in 7th grade and has a bright future ahead of her bc her talent and natural ability and grace in the air will serve her well. But I am heartbroken to see this all happening, to someone who had an amazing vision and tried to succeed and made some very human mistakes along the way.

Three thoughts:

1) Gyms from that area are notorious for putting each other on blast when something goes wrong. No one has really be able to lock that area down solid and the push for athletes, especially the Worlds level athletes has always been a real dogfight. But only one gym has a history of blind posts about other gyms in the area.

2.) Only two gyms have Worlds teams in that area. All gyms lost level 5 athletes to this gym. Very easy to know where this came from. I agree in that the OP was trying to start something, based on that, yet using the real situation of releasing Worlds athletes. I wouldn't doubt parents would be checking into releases (because I know that area) and that is completely normal, regardless of the thread title.

3.) My daughter works at this gym and didn't know about it until last night. In that I agree with NCMama. The staff are trying to keep it together for the kids and everyone is trying to figure stuff out.

I'm not saying anything is untrue about his personal life but to my knowledge no one has asked to be released. Again. This all just happened and we are tying to work through the it for the sake of our kids and coming on here and not having all the background facts and making assumptions is not helpful. This is a hard time for everyone right now

I understand. If it were my gym, I would be about protecting my child first. I wouldn't want social media blowing up and I certainly wouldn't want her reading any of it. But I can only control the latter and only to a certain extent because of her age.

I don't agree with putting the gym on blast but from what @tumbleyoda said, it's common to put other gyms on blast in your area. But depending on the charges and the history of this person, I would run for the nearest exit. Multiple arrests is a big red flag in my book. As I said, though, I have no clue what the charges even are.

Good luck and I hope you find what's best for your family in this situation.

I understand. If it were my gym, I would be about protecting my child first. I wouldn't want social media blowing up and I certainly wouldn't want her reading any of it. But I can only control the latter and only to a certain extent because of her age.

I don't agree with putting the gym on blast but from what @tumbleyoda said, it's common to put other gyms on blast in your area. But depending on the charges and the history of this person, I would run for the nearest exit. Multiple arrests is a big red flag in my book. As I said, though, I have no clue what the charges even are.

Good luck and I hope you find what's best for your family in this situation.

Sadly it is. Sometimes it is a disgruntled parent or athlete. Sometimes it is an owner. And sometimes it is a coach or parent doing at the request of the owners. That is definitely one thing I don't miss about being in that area.

Without putting names out there - the charges are a DWI from this month and last year two charges on same date (Simple assault and injury to personal property). Crimes yes, but not horrific crimes. Being that this person is young, I hope they learn their lesson and get their act together. They have a horrible PR nightmare on their hands.

And no, I am not from this gym or this area nor do I know anyone from this gym.

Without putting names out there - the charges are a DWI from this month and last year two charges on same date (Simple assault and injury to personal property). Crimes yes, but not horrific crimes. Being that this person is young, I hope they learn their lesson and get their act together. They have a horrible PR nightmare on their hands.

And no, I am not from this gym or this area nor do I know anyone from this gym.

I don't know who this thread is referring to or what gym this is even referring to but a DWI is a disgusting and horribly irresponsible crime. Since the owner (or coach I can't remember which it is in this case) was arrested for that specific crime just proves to me that they're too irresponsible to be around children. I would pull my hypothetical potential future kids from that program in a minute.

ETA: this post wasn't designed to attack you. I was mainly using it as a jumping off point.

You may think it is easy to pull your kid but it's not. There are other coaches there. They have teammates and friends. We had the most amazing year last year. Won comps. Made it to worlds. Did better than at any other program we had been at. If not in this immediate situation and not knowing all the facts, some not even surrounding this event it is really hard for you to say what you would do. I hope no one has to go through this. It is not black and white. You may think it is but it's not.

I don't know who this is referring to or what gym this is even referring to but a DWI is a disgusting and horribly irresponsible crime. Since the owner (or coach I can't remember which it is in this case) was arrested for that specific crime just proves to me that they're too irresponsible to be around children. I would pull my hypothetical potential future kids from that program in a minute.

I think you'd be surprised to see how many responsible coaches, teachers, doctors, parents etc....adults in general have DWI's. I am not condoning it, it's very irresponsible and possibly life ending to them or anyone around them.....but they are out there.

I think you'd be surprised to see how many "responsible" coaches, teachers, doctors, parents etc....adults in general have DWI's. I am not condoning it, it's very irresponsible and possibly life ending to them or anyone around them.....but they are out there.

As a coach, that's so disappointing. I can't imagine willingly putting your own life as well as the lives as everyone around you at risk. Nothing infuriates me more than when people drive drunk.

I don't know who this thread is referring to or what gym this is even referring to but a DWI is a disgusting and horribly irresponsible crime. Since the owner (or coach I can't remember which it is in this case) was arrested for that specific crime just proves to me that they're too irresponsible to be around children. I would pull my hypothetical potential future kids from that program in a minute.

ETA: this post wasn't designed to attack you. I was mainly using it as a jumping off point.

You may think it is easy to pull your kid but it's not. There are other coaches there. They have teammates and friends. We had the most amazing year last year. Won comps. Made it to worlds. Did better than at any other program we had been at. If not in this immediate situation and not knowing all the facts, some not even surrounding this event it is really hard for you to say what you would do. I hope no one has to go through this. It is not black and white. You may think it is but it's not.

You both make really good points. It's easy to look in and make a judgement call but actually being in the program that your child loves would be a much harder choice. I also wonder how many parents have done similar searches for their own coaches. I really have no idea, but my guess based on the age of most coaches is there may be many in the industry with arrest records they'd prefer to keep hidden.

Not really defending either standpoint but I hope you all are able to work this out. Best of luck!

I'm sorry that you are going through this, but friends, winning team ect or not my kids safety come first. No way would this owner be entrusted with my child's safety. The DWI seems to be just the latest in a string of poor choices. It indicates to me that he/she is not responsible enough to oversee the safety of children. If he/she will drive drunk, what's to say the next step wouldn't be coaching in the same state??? No win or skill is worth that kind of risk.

Back