All-Star New Rules??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 27, 2010
So I am so confused and can find nothing about it online. So many of you are way more informed than I will ever be so im posting it here.
My gym might not have a 4.2 (my team) this coming year and go back to a senior 2. When we asked why they said it was because of all the new rules. I would like to know more because if my gym does away with it im going to have to find another gym around my area that will have it. I wish USASF would just get rid of the senior 1 & 2 divisions. Its embarassing to be that old and be doing those kinds of stunts. Plus it would give everybody a bigger chance to actually compete against someone other than themselves.
Thanks everyone!

The new rules havent been released yet. And what would they do with all of the senior 1 and 2 athletes?

Im wondering why they are worried it will affect us then. And put them all on 4.2s. I do not tumble at all (i try...) but I still have no trouble keeping level 4 stunts in the air. If you old enough to be on a senior team I think stunting shouldnt be a problem, just because you started too late to get some BA tumbling doesnt mean you should have to go on stage and hold stunts right next to your face or gut.

So I am so confused and can find nothing about it online. So many of you are way more informed than I will ever be so im posting it here.
My gym might not have a 4.2 (my team) this coming year and go back to a senior 2. When we asked why they said it was because of all the new rules. I would like to know more because if my gym does away with it im going to have to find another gym around my area that will have it. I wish USASF would just get rid of the senior 1 & 2 divisions. Its embarassing to be that old and be doing those kinds of stunts. Plus it would give everybody a bigger chance to actually compete against someone other than themselves.
Thanks everyone!

I don't think it's embarrassing to be on a Senior 1/2! I don't think it would be safe for completely new cheerleaders to have level 3 skills just thrown at them. Now what's embarrassing would be a level 3 senior team doing poorly at competitions because they aren't ready to compete at that level (routine is a hot mess, or they just don't have the skills). If a gym has a Senior 1/2 it's probably because they have athletes that aren't ready for a higher level than that. And at least in my area, usually the biggest division at competition is Senior 2! I'm on a Senior 2 team and we're not at all embarrassed to be level 2! We have tons of fun competing!

Don't take this the wrong way because it's not meant to be mean! :)

Im hoping most of you know what level 4.2 is. If they got rid of 1 and 2 the athletes wouldnt be on a level 3 team. I understand what you guys are saying but there was alot of girls on my team last year that were completely new to cheer. Including my sister. We ended up doing really well. We hardly had any stunts fall at the competitions that season. I just think if you asked someone, like myself, who has little to no tumbling skills if they would rather be on a senior 1/2 or a senior 4.2, they would pick 4.2 hands down. Im just hoping my gym doesnt ditch it. My point of this thread was to find out why that is they would be doing that.

Well then, I'm pretty sure your gym is the only one that can answer this question for you.

And also... I don't remember there being any rule proposals to change much in 4.2?

I couldnt get any info from them. And I know, im so confused as to what 'rules' would be making us change back. Well Thanks for the help anyways everyone. :)

There are people that make the comment that kids that can't tumble at level 4 probably shouldn't be stunting level 4. I am not saying that I agree with that thought because I think that, to some extent, it's different sets of skills. I just thought I would play devils advocate though. I don't think getting rid of senior 1 and 2 is a good idea. I haven't really ever seen any senior 1s, but I think senior 2 is a really important division to our industry as it helps draw in older athletes to our sport.

I understand what you're saying, and idk about 4.2 rules changes. But I have to say that the fiercest, most enjoyable routine I've ever watched was from a Senior 2 team. It was Elite Cheer & Dance Senior Ice's "Bad Romance" routine last year. Still obsessed a year later.

Don't ever be embarrased of where you are. Be embarrassed if you can't remember what you WERE and how far you've come.

Thanks everyone!

Please don't say that. There are many level 1/2 senior athletes on this board that would be extremely offended by this comment. Maybe you would find it embarrasing, but for others, it might be the perfect match for their abilities. Not all athletes can start cheering at a senior level age and can compete level 4 stunts on a 4.2 team, and not all athletes can throw double fulls. Coaching a Sr 1 and 2 is an awesome experience too- I enjoy working with athletes that are very proficient at their levels skills and so much creativity can be used to make an awesome routine when you have 20 or 36 excellent Level 1 or 2 athletes! Sr 1 and Sr 2 can stay right where they are thank you very much.

Also, many competitions have numerous senior level 2 teams competing. At most major national competitions, there are at least 4 or 5 teams in each senior level 1 division. So, check your facts on that underlined quote. I would argue that you would find more competition in Sr. 2 than in Sr. 4.2.

Not trying to be offensive or put you down, just trying to make sure every athlete of all abilities is being respected :)

Senior 2 is one of my absolute favorite divisions. There so many chances for creativity! I don't think anyone should be embarrassed by being on that or level 1. As far as getting rid of those 2 divisions, you still need half plus 1 tumbling in 4.2 If you get rid of level 1, and put them all on 4.2, you'll get killed in your tumbling score. Nor would I take someone brand new to allstars and throw them on 4.2 unless that was my only option. There are some scary 4.2's out there, and I'm thinking it's because they do the opposite of what I would do. True level 4 stunting is not easy, and there isn't much of it in 4.2. (probably because it's filled with kids who can't do it)

As far as rule changes to the division, the only things I remember up for change in level 4 were release moves and braced rewinds in pyramids. Don't see how that would hurt your team, but I'm not your coach.

Im hoping most of you know what level 4.2 is. If they got rid of 1 and 2 the athletes wouldnt be on a level 3 team. I understand what you guys are saying but there was alot of girls on my team last year that were completely new to cheer. Including my sister. We ended up doing really well. We hardly had any stunts fall at the competitions that season. I just think if you asked someone, like myself, who has little to no tumbling skills if they would rather be on a senior 1/2 or a senior 4.2, they would pick 4.2 hands down. Im just hoping my gym doesnt ditch it. My point of this thread was to find out why that is they would be doing that.

4.2...?

Back