All-Star Redfining Positions In Stunts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

rvnblue said:
I don't particularly like this.
Example:
Full up, pike over transition, reload, express up, body positions, double down.
For the full up a front base is needed. That front base, then goes and forms another group for the express up. Why would she be needed for the cradle?

The wording might need to be changed. I more wanted to avoid 3 people popping and one walking away for the cradle.

All people involved with the assissting of the motion to cradle must be involved with the cradle.

rvnblue said:
I disagree with having three bases necessary for extended (LA) in level 4. Maybe I'm thinking too much towards the senior division, so is it a possibility to divide levels into age categories because of strength differences?

For simplicity it needs to be for all ages.

And its not 3 bases, its 3 people bases and spotters.

Level 4 can be fine with 3 required to cradle. I think that works.

I think 2 required to stunt and cradle in 5 is fine as well. With the rule that all who assist in the popping of a cradle must be there to spot would make the practicality for group stunts to remain 3 or more bases for the entire time are fine.

Just a quick question/comment: is the main goal of this grid safety or to add difficulty to each level with less bases required? I ask because if the objective is safety, then why have varying numbers because, for example, a cradle from extension at any level is going to be the same height, with respect to the height of the bases, at each level, thus the same risk of injury, so why not a standard number of bases/spotters required?

I like the concept but I think that the grid is too restrictive:
Level 1 needs a spotter for below prep level
Level 2 needing the 3rd person for the cradle from prep
Level 3 needing 3 people for an extended stunt
Level 3 needing 3 people for all cradles
Level 4 needing 3 people for extended LA
Level 4 needing 3 people for lots of Cradles
Level 5 needing 3 people for extended skilled Cradles

It seems that in level 3-5 doesn't account for Coed teams and Single basing girls, you should only need more than 2 for the cradle. Levels 3 and 4 should be able to do an extended 2 base stunt.

Simpler version that essentially follows our current rules but takes out the "spotter language"

Cradles:
For levels 1-5 all cradles require at least 2 catchers, with the following exceptions:
at level 1, Cradles from prep level require 3 catchers.
at Level 2 Cradles from extension require 3 catchers.
Level 6, only requires 1 catcher for 0-1 skill cradles

Stunts:
Level 1, stunts at prep level require 3 attentive athletes(AA)
Level 2, Prep Level stunts require 2 AA, extended stunts need 3 AA
Level 3-5 Extended Stunts need 2 AA
Level 6 only needs 1 AA but perhaps 2 AA for free flipping entries

Just a quick question/comment: is the main goal of this grid safety or to add difficulty to each level with less bases required? I ask because if the objective is safety, then why have varying numbers because, for example, a cradle from extension at any level is going to be the same height, with respect to the height of the bases, at each level, thus the same risk of injury, so why not a standard number of bases/spotters required?

The level of risk goes down as the expertise and ability of the athlete goes up.

The level of risk goes down as the expertise and ability of the athlete goes up.
What about the small gyms that have some level 4 athletes, most level 3, but because of the pressure to maintain those athletes, decide to compete level 4? Risk of injury is increased greatly. Or the athletes on a level 3 team with only level 2 skills that crossover, but don't tumble, and are just used to make sure the team has a full 20?

What about the small gyms that have some level 4 athletes, most level 3, but because of the pressure to maintain those athletes, decide to compete level 4? Risk of injury is increased greatly. Or the athletes on a level 3 team with only level 2 skills that crossover, but don't tumble, and are just used to make sure the team has a full 20?

Thats individual coaching decisions that shouldn't really be reflected in rules.

Just because you are allowed do something doesn't mean that every team can/should do it.

Thats individual coaching decisions that shouldn't really be reflected in rules.

Just because you are allowed do something doesn't mean that every team can/should do it.
Agreed, however, if safety is determined by the level and ability of the athlete, are all coaches certified to determine the level of an athlete accurately? Is there a standard or point at which I can confidently say a "back base" is not necessary because these two other bases have enough technique? Who judges that technique?

I think with the rules for competition, you have to go with the level that the team is entered in.

its the same thing with tumbling, just because you're on a level 4 team it doesn't mean that you have a layout. If you only have a handspring then your coach shouldn't have you throwing a layout in the routine.

I don't know that there is a good way to regulate individual ability within the team setting that still allows you to make a team without having full squad skills.

Agreed, however, if safety is determined by the level and ability of the athlete, are all coaches certified to determine the level of an athlete accurately? Is there a standard or point at which I can confidently say a "back base" is not necessary because these two other bases have enough technique? Who judges that technique?

Currently all coaches DO determine the level and ability of an athlete. Who do you think chooses what level a team goes into? This is no different than gymnastics, isn't it? Doesn't the athlete / coach choose what level to compete at?

For simplicity it needs to be for all ages.

And its not 3 bases, its 3 people bases and spotters.

I, too, disagree with having to have 3 bases and/or spotters for level 4 Ext LA. I think a lot of level 4 teams are successfully competing '2 man' stunts and that shouldn't be taken away.

I, too, disagree with having to have 3 bases and/or spotters for level 4 Ext LA. I think a lot of level 4 teams are successfully competing '2 man' stunts and that shouldn't be taken away.

It wouldn't be taken away. I think that is what people are missing. You can 2 man stunts in level 4, but it requires a spotter. A spotter is not involved in the holding up of the stunt.

In fact, in level 1 you could do a prep with one person, as long as two people are spotters. This matrix actually opens up for more difficult skills but makes teams provide spotters.

It wouldn't be taken away. I think that is what people are missing. You can 2 man stunts in level 4, but it requires a spotter. A spotter is not involved in the holding up of the stunt.

But currently, you only need 3 people, one in the air and two on the ground. Under the grid on the first post you need 4 people dedicated to the stunt regardless of how many people are actually holding it up.

In a previous post on this thread I outlined a simple straight forward solution that follows progressions and doesn't restrict us from doing the stunts we are currently doing

Back