All-Star Veteran Versus New Posters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It works better if you start with "...ACEDAD says...."

I'm working my way there... they have to know/understand Fierce Board so that they can truly know and be in awe when I say "...when ACEDAD says..." It's progression, we're working on it! ;)

However- I don't know if things would have worked out necessarily the same way if I were to do it all again at THIS point in the board's life. It's a different animal than it was back then, and who's to say if my response would have been accepted the same way? What I DID learn was a way to stand up for myself and dish it back WITHOUT just coming off as rude, just direct.

I agree that the board is different now than it was a few years ago. In some ways, it's infinitely better. However, I cringe sometimes at the way people react and treat posters. Like I said before, I feel a lot of times, it's the neophytes (or sophomores as F!ERCE put it). Not that the people that have been here awhile can't get a little rowdy too.

I would say you definitely earned some people's respect that day that you responded. When you then continued to post with well thought out, and sassy :D, reasoning...you were just another knowledgeable poster.

ps...did you get my pm from the other day?

I agree that the board is different now than it was a few years ago. In some ways, it's infinitely better. However, I cringe sometimes at the way people react and treat posters. Like I said before, I feel a lot of times, it's the neophytes (or sophomores as F!ERCE put it). Not that the people that have been here awhile can't get a little rowdy too.

I would say you definitely earned some people's respect that day that you responded. When you then continued to post with well thought out, and sassy :D, reasoning...you were just another knowledgeable poster.

ps...did you get my pm from the other day?
Hee hee, I do what I can. :cool:
PS- Just replied. Been a long couple days and I'd read it but forgot to reply.

I consider myself a newbie (think I've been here a little over a year? maybe?), so I don't post a whole lot, but i do shimmy alot (take that as you wish :p). I've been lucky enough to make friends and meet a few good people on here. I think the best thing for anyone on here (new or vet) to remember or understand is that if you find something offensive/someone attacking you/yourself getting caught up in the drama, you can always just hit the little red x in the top corner of your browser. This is the internet-it's entertainment. People tend to take this fake little universe as reality because it's written by "real people". It's a story told from multiple points-of-view. No one ever promised it would be non-fiction, we just all expect it to be. So, I guess my point is this-if you feel this is hurting you, or it makes you feel like hurting someone else, remember there's a person behind the story and maybe it's best to go waste a few hours on pinterest or something, rather than allowing your feelings to be hurt by a blip on a screen-or worse, you hurt someone else's because of a blip on a screen. Everything comes back to the Golden Rule-do unto others as you wish to do unto you. No one said to judge others if they don't follow this, but rather just follow it yourself. If I had any other better or wiser advice, I'd dispense it.

Oh. Wear Sunscreen.

:D (10 points to the first person to get that reference)

There are so many people that I still consider "newbies" that consider themselves veterans lol.

Now that I think about it, I've been here I think 7 years now and there are probably some that consider me new, too (I'm lookin' at you ACEDAD ;) )

And Hannah was as wise and mature 7 years ago as she is now. I don't think she ever went through newbie growing pains. At least I don't remember it if she did.

And Hannah was as wise and mature 7 years ago as she is now. I don't think she ever went through newbie growing pains. At least I don't remember it if she did.

LOL I had a different username back then...trickin' your memories ;) But you are so sweet haha

Another suggestion....it's OK to challenge the status quo, it's OK to disagree with the majority. But newbie or vet, state the facts or feelings on which you are basing your statement (you are entitled to feel strongly about anything you darn well choose). But be a cheer lawyer - means/motive/opportunity. How/why/when/who. Don't just toss out controversy and run away and hide.

At one end of this extreme - the "Who is the best XXX team". You'll see 100 threads, 1000 posts on this topic. But don't you remember the posts where the poster gave you the reasons why they ranked teams a certain way? And sometimes (many times) don't we even learn from them?

At the other end - things that we all know are wrong about the sport or the industry. Bring the problem to the table, but bring an idea to fix it too. The power of the sheer number and diversity of minds on this board is amazing! Maybe it won't get fixed today, but when you set the seed it may get fixed tomorrow.

Another suggestion....it's OK to challenge the status quo, it's OK to disagree with the majority. But newbie or vet, state the facts or feelings on which you are basing your statement (you are entitled to feel strongly about anything you darn well choose). But be a cheer lawyer - means/motive/opportunity. How/why/when/who. Don't just toss out controversy and run away and hide.

At one end of this extreme - the "Who is the best XXX team". You'll see 100 threads, 1000 posts on this topic. But don't you remember the posts where the poster gave you the reasons why they ranked teams a certain way? And sometimes (many times) don't we even learn from them?

At the other end - things that we all know are wrong about the sport or the industry. Bring the problem to the table, but bring an idea to fix it too. The power of the sheer number and diversity of minds on this board is amazing! Maybe it won't get fixed today, but when you set the seed it may get fixed tomorrow.

I can rehash my 'How I Found the Fierceboard' story, it was a very painful process. I hope nobody ever has to discover the 'joys' of the internet the way I did.

Long story short, I decided to make cheer videos that someone on here found on youtube (oddly enough, DJ was asking me about them yesterday. No, they don't exist anywhere :D). They were meant to be informative, and to help quell down some of the youtube drama that was common on videos (back before this place was this popular, or this well-monitored). A person who saw my videos directed me here as a way to help make sure I was reporting factual information. I came on, happened to click on a thread that featured me and my videos being generally destroyed, to put it mildly. I was humiliated- I'd never experienced anything like that in my life! I didn't know how to handle it- I wrote what was probably the sassiest post I've ever written in my life. Apparently, whatever I said was the right thing, because people backed off- some even offered to help me make them better! I decided that it wasn't worth it though, the hurt still burned pretty hot, and I wasn't sure I wanted to keep dealing with that. I did, however, decide to stay. 3 or so years later and I've never left.

However- I don't know if things would have worked out necessarily the same way if I were to do it all again at THIS point in the board's life. It's a different animal than it was back then, and who's to say if my response would have been accepted the same way? What I DID learn was a way to stand up for myself and dish it back WITHOUT just coming off as rude, just direct.

Honestly, I don't think anybody in the history of message boards had it worse than Kristen the great did!!! You've got guts I'll give you that! And now look......Rainbow's and Butterflies as Chrissy would say!!! LOL

Back