All-Star Veteran Versus New Posters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I lurked for a few months when I first joined (less than a year ago) and have only really started contributing properly the past few months. I think that that time spent reading and not posting was really beneficial. I would definitely recommend the super-new newbies (since I probably would still be considered a "newbie" :p) do that. I think I've learnt now what to keep out of, and what (and in what form) to contribute.

TheUltimateFan - "cheer lawyer", I like it!

I lurked for a few months when I first joined (less than a year ago) and have only really started contributing properly the past few months. I think that that time spent reading and not posting was really beneficial. I would definitely recommend the super-new newbies (since I probably would still be considered a "newbie" :p) do that. I think I've learnt now what to keep out of, and what (and in what form) to contribute.

TheUltimateFan - "cheer lawyer", I like it!

I definitely agree, I'm still a "newbie" too, I've been a member for about a year. I do way more reading then posting, I think I just read for a month before I joined lol, and it has really helped me to keep from posting anything that could get me "bashed" or into anything....so far:rolleyes: fingers crossed it continues to work

I think it is far more beneficial for newbies to read, read and read some more before posing. I actually was here for a whole year (on and off) before joining and I don't think I've had any arguments/controversy, I put that down to reading and knowing what this board is all about. But then again I am a 32 y/o woman and not a 15 y/o girl ;)

I think it is far more beneficial for newbies to read, read and read some more before posing. I actually was here for a whole year (on and off) before joining and I don't think I've had any arguments/controversy, I put that down to reading and knowing what this board is all about. But then again I am a 32 y/o woman and not a 15 y/o girl ;)
About 8 years ago I met these two women online in an HP forum (we ended up being fan fiction writers) I went to Dallas for a school conference where one lived and sprung for the hotel so the other flew in from Minneapolis and it was the first time we'd met after about two years of being great friends online....

...my dallas' friend's husband was CONVINCED we were "8 year old boys" that duped her. We went to her house just to prove him wrong that (outside of being 30 y/o fan fiction writing HP fans) we were completely normal :D

Agreed. I am a true newbie but I'd like to think I can discuss issues and introduce new ones in an intelligent and grammatically correct manner. I'm also going into my 8th season of being an all-star mom so I'd like to think of myself as highly adaptable and a little knowledgeable. I do find it hard though to truly determine if a thread has been discussed before if it is not in the recent past as its not always easy to pull up in the archives. And sometimes certain topics need reviving because there are new people on here with different insights. That being said, I usually try to read through before asking anything that's probably already been answered 10 times over.

About 8 years ago I met these two women online in an HP forum (we ended up being fan fiction writers) I went to Dallas for a school conference where one lived and sprung for the hotel so the other flew in from Minneapolis and it was the first time we'd met after about two years of being great friends online....

...my dallas' friend's husband was CONVINCED we were "8 year old boys" that duped her. We went to her house just to prove him wrong that (outside of being 30 y/o fan fiction writing HP fans) we were completely normal :D
Two of my closest friends I met on a CSI forum 8 years ago, and I have a whole host of good friends from there as well. The internet is a big, bad, scary place but if you treat it right and protect yourself it can also be an amazing place ;)

YOU WRITE FANFICTION!?!?! *showers you in confetti and sparkles* My day has just been made. Fo serious.

YOU WRITE FANFICTION!?!?! *showers you in confetti and sparkles* My day has just been made. Fo serious.

I feel so dumb, but I had never heard of fanfiction until 50 shades of Grey. Can you explain to me what it is? (sorry for the hijack, but I've been wanting to ask but was too afraid to ask - thought the nice "be nicer to newbies" thread would be a safe place :D)

I feel so dumb, but I had never heard of fanfiction until 50 shades of Grey. Can you explain to me what it is? (sorry for the hijack, but I've been wanting to ask but was too afraid to ask - thought the nice "be nicer to newbies" thread would be a safe place :D)
It's basically what it sounds like- fiction written by fans, for fans. There's tons of it. Some of it well written, many of it eh, some legit PHENOMENAL. To date, I've probably spent 3/4 of my life reading it lol (It's like free books about characters I already like!). Lots of times, it pairs characters together that might not normally go together (For HP- Harry/Luna, Ron Lavender, Draco/Hermione)..it's fun. People call Twilight glorified fanfiction in the sense that it's not well-written, and the common 'Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu' perfect characteristics (Bella's ability to override his 'demonic' nature and Edward's 'gorgeous perfection that defies life').

As far as I'm aware it's basically where a fan of a piece of fiction writes their own piece of fiction based on the novel they're a fan of (hence the name). So, for example, it could be a background to one of the characters that isn't covered in the book, or an alternative ending, or a ""what happens next". There are more options, obviously, but they're the ones I can think of at the minute and seem the most common.
So, for Harry Potter, you could have a story about Hagrid's childhood, or an ending where Hermione and Draco end up getting married (seems to be a very popular one!), or a "5 years later" or "25 years later" instead of the "19 years later" in the book.
I feel this was very long winded, but hopefully got the meaning across :)

ETA: Oops, kristenthegreat got there before me and said it more eloquently...

I am definitely a newbie here and I have posted a bunch just mostly lurked but the only time I really see veterans attacking newbies is when the newbies just join to create drama. Most of the time the veterans are nice and friendly but if you start to cause drama they will be coming at you with daggers and knifes. So to all the newbies out there if you plan on just being here to start drama just leave now before people come after you

I like the newbies. They typically bring a fresh perspective into threads. I mean, I'm still learning from many of the veterans on here and they still kind of scare me a little bit. :p

The only thing that does get kind of old is right after something like Worlds ends, they sometimes put up a new thread asking for predictions for next year or a thread on so-and-so should have won. But typically those ones don't stick around for some reason.

Hmm not sure where I fall. Ive been on the boards over 2 years so half newb half vet maybe. I generally like most of the newbs. As stated ^^ 'the who do you think should have won worlds' type threads when worlds was 5 months ago bother me. I love when a newb challenges a vet since Im still scared to do so. :p

Back