All-Star Instead Of Reducing Tumbling How About Huge Tumble Bust Deductions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Took the words out of my tweet ;) people can get as upset about the tumbling as they like. The bigger issue here is that they are trying to legitimize the sport and not actually addressing anything that will add legitimacy. What they SHOULD be addressing is a universal scoring grid, an effective and realistic athlete credentialing system and a rigorous and authentic coaches training course that involves more than a 3hour class and an open book test to call yourself "certified."

As of now, with these changes...we'll "look" more legit but there still isn't a system in place to actually enforce anything they just mandated (which is especially true for the age brackets) we have people putting kids on teams that are out of the age bracket all over the place and that already isn't policed....without addressing what REALLY matters (scoring, credentialing and coaching certification) this won't make us any more legit than we are now.

we were talking about it at the gm last night i a brought up the evaluation process that started last year. correct me if 'm wrong, but wasn't the purpose of the to see what level a child belonged in that way you could put the level3 kid on this level 5 team but you are fully aware that they don't posses the skills necessary. that was a good thing now these new rules put us right back where we started.

and as far as credentialing coaches on tumbling debbie should just start teaching anything tumbling related for coaches. she's not in the hall of fame for nothing she knows more about it than anyone.
on another note never mind the kids who can't perform the skills anymore this affect the livlihood of every tumbling coach who works in the cheer industry

we were talking about it at the gm last night i a brought up the evaluation process that started last year. correct me if 'm wrong, but wasn't the purpose of the to see what level a child belonged in that way you could put the level3 kid on this level 5 team but you are fully aware that they don't posses the skills necessary. that was a good thing now these new rules put us right back where we started.

and as far as credentialing coaches on tumbling debbie should just start teaching anything tumbling related for coaches. she's not in the hall of fame for nothing she knows more about it than anyone.
on another note never mind the kids who can't perform the skills anymore this affect the livlihood of every tumbling coach who works in the cheer industry
On the contrary...I think it may be a huge boon to the tumbling coaches. They didn't say you can't do doubles...you just can't do double doubles. There's still a need to coach those elite skills. But in a system like this where deductions for technique would keep your coach from giving you a pass, I think the good tumbling coaches would be able to name their price for a private lesson. And let's face it there is FAR more demand to teach handsprings, tucks, layouts and fulls than Arabian, round off, whip, double doubles. In terms of supply and demand, tumbling coaches in this system with the ability to progress kids would be able to make a solid paycheck.

This solution seems logically sound and fair. I am trying really hard to not make accusations of hidden agendas of the USASF and certain gym owners, but why on God's green earth was the banning of tumbling skills chosen in favor of THIS idea? It appears as though there was a complete lack of reason used when making these changes. And, THAT, simply terrifies me...

I completely agree with you kingston, that these deductions are a much better band-aid than eliminating the most elite skills. I just want to play a devil's advocate and point out that IMHO I don't think it will have the huge impact on safety that we are looking for.

well maybe usasf should have a mandatory summer clinic for coaches to all be on the same page. or debbie love could run it.
And see this has been discussed. Actually it was discussed in Doral that a "core" group of instructors would do this (including and run by Debbie Love). There was talk of limiting skills and that was quickly shot down and here out of no where, BOOM deal with it. Well there was talk of training sessions before, maybe now USASF or USASF Blog will see it is a necessity!

But again, why are we punishing the athlete for this? Make the coaches instruct properly! Let's change that! I am all for that!! Don't punish the kids...
well maybe usasf should have a mandatory summer clinic for coaches to all be on the same page. or debbie love could run it.
Maybe they will. None of us know that yet.

But why let people continue to instruct things wrong until it gets fixed?

probably more of my individual gyms term for it, but when some throws a tuck and lands with their legs as far apart as they can, making the comparison as a cowboy straddling a horse..

Ahhh that would be my oldest daughter.. although her legs aren't that far apart. She now lands with her feet much closer together. She's been doing it like that for over a year and has never busted in a competition. Trust me, as a mom that pays for privates to fix issues like this, it can be very frustrating. :)

Back