All-Star "name" Of Gym Affecting Placement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It would require those coaches and gym owners to change their entire thinking from short term gains to long term gains.

I am a small gym owner and I have a lot of difficulties and hardships to overcome. The system is not setup to reward me no matter how hard I try. When scores are posted all that is happening is my parents are seeing an imperfect system and viewing mistakes that the EP made and my parents will blame me for and possibly leave my gym. All that happens by exposing scores is I risk losing parents for this year.

To:

I understand that by allowing scores to be released I do risk parents being upset with the shortcomings of our performance in certain areas at a competition BUT by scores being released I will increase transparency in cheerleading, expose the scoresheet short comings, increase the potential of a universal scoresheet, and force myself to get better at my job (which can be a bitter pill to swallow but in the end will make me a better coach and gym owner with a solid business). These changes will not be instant and will take time and dedication but there will be payoff in the end.

It would require those coaches and gym owners to change their entire thinking from short term gains to long term gains.

I am a small gym owner and I have a lot of difficulties and hardships to overcome. The system is not setup to reward me no matter how hard I try. When scores are posted all that is happening is my parents are seeing an imperfect system and viewing mistakes that the EP made and my parents will blame me for and possibly leave my gym. All that happens by exposing scores is I risk losing parents for this year.

To:

I understand that by allowing scores to be released I do risk parents being upset with the shortcomings of our performance in certain areas at a competition BUT by scores being released I will increase transparency in cheerleading, expose the scoresheet short comings, increase the potential of a universal scoresheet, and force myself to get better at my job (which can be a bitter pill to swallow but in the end will make me a better coach and gym owner with a solid business). These changes will not be instant and will take time and dedication but there will be payoff in the end.

Sometimes it is not the small gym that wants the scores withheld. That is strictly the EP's doing. They can release them or not. If they say they will release all scores and you don't want your score released - don't go to the event. You have EP's that don't want to get publicly called on the carpet for out of line scores either which is another issue.

Having only worked for smaller or lesser known cheer gyms I am the first to admit there are challenges that we face but public scores should not be one of them. I want the scores released. Transparency works for the betterment of every program and the entire industry.

Can anyone say they won an event because the judges were biased against another team and decided to hand the championship to you?
Why would anyone admit that this was a possiblity? It would give credence to the argument that it does occur and contradict what so many people are vehemently arguing against - whether a large or small gym.

Under the current system, big gyms have numerous built-in advantages, not the least of which is much more information about scoring. We come home from each competition with all of the scoring information for 20+ teams. We can compare these, see what is working, what is not, and improve all of our routines. A smaller gym gets FAR less information. They may only see 1-2 teams worth of scores. It is difficult to know, from that amount of information, how to make better decisions about what should be in routines.

Releasing all of the scores would level the playing field, IMO, and give every gym, regardless of size, the EXACT SAME amount of information. It may be embarrassing, short term, to some coaches. However, at least they would KNOW what mistakes they are making, so they would know to not make the same mistakes year after year and continually get beat without knowing why.

Why would gyms that thrive under the current system want things to change? Believe it or not, most big gyms WANT what is best for the industry long term. If it means sacrificing a small competitive advantage to grow the industry, most are more than willing to do that. The overall health of all star cheerleading affects them more in the long term than whether they win NCA in that one division that one particular year.

solution="God grant me the serenity" Do your best...change what you can..let the rest go and be smart enough to know the difference.

Can anyone say they won an event because the judges were biased against another team and decided to hand the championship to you?
There have been several times when we have won and I have not understood why. (Not as many times as the other way around, but it happens.)

I am not saying that judge/EP bias never happens. I would just say that it happens MUCH less often than people are saying.

Sometimes it is not the small gym that wants the scores withheld. That is strictly the EP's doing. They can release them or not. If they say they will release all scores and you don't want your score released - don't go to the event. You have EP's that don't want to get publicly called on the carpet for out of line scores either which is another issue.

Having only worked for smaller or lesser known cheer gyms I am the first to admit there are challenges that we face but public scores should not be one of them. I want the scores released. Transparency works for the betterment of every program and the entire industry.

It isn't always, but the gyms collectively have all the power. If the gyms could correctly organize and require changes they would be made.

I don't understand why gyms would be that embarrassed about scores being posted. I can't imagine bad scores would be worse than a bad performance.

Crazy but I think a big portion of it is kind of silly....some coaches will tell a team you are "whatever" points behind on day 1 to motivate their team....kids tell parents....then coaches would feel dumb if scores were public cuz they would be exposed for lying to the kids...this does happen a lot!!! The gym I used to be at did it all the time...Im a parent not a coach...I don't tell the coaches how to do their job...so I don't have an opinion one way or another but I do know this a small reason why SOME gyms might not want scores posted....:)

It doesn't just happen with big gyms, it can be a small gym who can have the upper hand. At a small local bid comp, there were 4 teams in one of the div. Team A and B had their bids.....after awards they kept all the 1st place teams of each div on stage to hear who got the bids. I think their was only 2 at large to give away. They skipped all the 1st place teams and gave the bid to team C, 3rd place in their div. who had left the flooring crying both days because of bad performances. They weren't even on stage anymore. People were pretty pissed, this is a team with basic skills. This EP doesn't give team scores out. I know its at EP discretion but geez.

My bff told me (her daughter was on the team) that she was told by the owner that they received the bid because Suzie's dad is the EP......additionally they had 18 on the floor and took 20 to Worlds.....2 years prior they they received a bid the same way. (The following year a girl who had been with that team sobbed and sobbed when we got our bid, she said it was the 1st time she ever earned it.)

When they took the floor at Worlds with their 20 girls I wondered if no one said anything because they weren't a big threat and no one really knew who they were and would place at the bottom.

My $ is on them this year for a bid at that same comp......

sidenote...our coaches now sit with the team AND the score sheet at first practice after comp and discuss areas that need work....smart...yes?

Back