All-Star Olympic Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What about that whole "STUNT" idea? I don't know if you have heard of it. It's some sort of expansion of cheerleading, just stunting though, as you guys are saying. I believe it is also trying to become a sport..

the problem is STUNT and NCATA are keeping a lot of the other pieces of cheer . I am saying drop them like a bad habit and make stunting itself teh sport.

the problem is STUNT and NCATA are keeping a lot of the other pieces of cheer . I am saying drop them like a bad habit and make stunting itself teh sport.
See the issue with STUNT and NCATA is that they are trying to start their whole new thing on their own too. Neither are working as well as they should. Why not jump onto something that's already established? I agree that acro isn't taking off the way it should either BUT internationally it's way more recognized and respected. In order to get where you are trying to go, starting from scratch is a way larger undertaking than I think people realize.

i was not aware of that, i just thought they were making stunting the sport...

i was not aware of that, i just thought they were making stunting the sport...
Both are trying but all they are really doing is taking competitive cheer and breaking it into quarters then having the teams do a routine at the end. So they should be called "cheer in categories". If they would join forces they would have a much better chance at success. Unfortunately, neither will get where they could go. Each have HUGE positives but both are stubborn and think their way is the only/best way.

kingston I love this idea! Since stunting is unique to cheer only, it could really show off the athletic side of it without being compared to gymnastics. And there could be different categories like baskets, flexibility, pyramids, etc. seems really cool, I'd love to see this in the future!

Both are trying but all they are really doing is taking competitive cheer and breaking it into quarters then having the teams do a routine at the end. So they should be called "cheer in categories". If they would join forces they would have a much better chance at success. Unfortunately, neither will get where they could go. Each have HUGE positives but both are stubborn and think their way is the only/best way.

Kinda like Varsity/Usasf and Jammy? :D

kingston I love this idea! Since stunting is unique to cheer only, it could really show off the athletic side of it without being compared to gymnastics. And there could be different categories like baskets, flexibility, pyramids, etc. seems really cool, I'd love to see this in the future!

Thanks! I don't think pyramids really work for this idea. Pyramids in allstar are generally based on ideas that are not technically hard but very choreographed. Baskets play in to group stunt one perfectly.

kingston I also think this is a great idea. It takes care of the two biggest obstacles cheer would have to overcome in order to become an Olympic sport: overlap with gymnastics and organizational clarity when it comes to skill requirement and judging.

As tumbleyoda said above, it will level the playing field and, in my opinion, make this a more viable sport to the Olympic committee. Making the sport stunt-exclusive also makes it more accessible to athletes who want to participate. Without needing to also be excellent tumblers, more athletes will be qualified for the sport AND all of the time and focus during training would be on stunts, which would end up making the skills competed at the Olympics even more difficult and exciting. It would truly be its own sport separate from both gymnastics and cheerleading as we know it.

At the same time, I think it would be great for the traditional sport of cheerleading, as it would showcase our most unique and exclusive element. Gymnastics is already an official Olympic sport and thus gymnasts are considered athletes. If stunting were accepted to the Olympics, it would be considered by the masses to be a sport and its participants would also be considered athletes. THUS, no one could deny that cheerleading, which is a combination of the two, is a sport and ITS participants real athletes.

We need to petition to get kingston on the committee ;)

kingston I also think this is a great idea. It takes care of the two biggest obstacles cheer would have to overcome in order to become an Olympic sport: overlap with gymnastics and organizational clarity when it comes to skill requirement and judging.

As tumbleyoda said above, it will level the playing field and, in my opinion, make this a more viable sport to the Olympic committee. Making the sport stunt-exclusive also makes it more accessible to athletes who want to participate. Without needing to also be excellent tumblers, more athletes will be qualified for the sport AND all of the time and focus during training would be on stunts, which would end up making the skills competed at the Olympics even more difficult and exciting. It would truly be its own sport separate from both gymnastics and cheerleading as we know it.

At the same time, I think it would be great for the traditional sport of cheerleading, as it would showcase our most unique and exclusive element. Gymnastics is already an official Olympic sport and thus gymnasts are considered athletes. If stunting were accepted to the Olympics, it would be considered by the masses to be a sport and its participants would also be considered athletes. THUS, no one could deny that cheerleading, which is a combination of the two, is a sport and ITS participants real athletes.

Ok, if kingston is running it THEN I'll support it. Any other EP jumps on board, I'm OUT!

Thanks! I don't think pyramids really work for this idea. Pyramids in allstar are generally based on ideas that are not technically hard but very choreographed. Baskets play in to group stunt one perfectly.
that's a good point about the pyramids

bellalexi actually i think strictly stunting would be better. first they are doing slow holds. compared to stunting which is a lost faster and mostly mounts and transitions, not holds, its way more entertaining to watch. second there is no tumbling so it makes a lot more sense. there is no dance element so more males will be attracted to it. (as well as the fact that we dont require bases to be flexbile either).

You're kind... so let us come up withe sport itself.

So far we have 4 rounds.

1. Compulsory Round - everyone does the exact same routine and its based off execution / flexibility. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Execution score is out of 10 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

2. Twisting Round - everyone submits their routine and they have a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Then you have deductions for the entire routine. You can do one half flip [ no continuous flips ] (so front handspring ups but not back handspring ups as those are a continuos flip). Execution score is out of 11 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

3. Flipping Round - everyone submits their routine and they have a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Then you have deductions for the entire routine. You can do one half flip [ no continuous flips ] (so front handspring ups but not back handspring ups as those are a continuos flip). Execution score is out of 11 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

4. Routine Round - Perform a routine of choosing. Submit for a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Execution score is out of 12 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics. Should be the highest scoring round.

Cheer as a whole is way off from being an Olympic sport... but why not stunting?

Two divisions: all girl group and single based. You could have a COP, would have a start value, and could deduct like gymnastics. Upper level would have no rules (Olympic level) but could have levels to get up to that point.

This is the exact convo we were having at dinner last night, glad you started this and Im looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with

Back