All-Star Olympic Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You're kind... so let us come up withe sport itself.

So far we have 4 rounds.

1. Compulsory Round - everyone does the exact same routine and its based off execution / flexibility. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Execution score is out of 10 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

2. Twisting Round - everyone submits their routine and they have a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Then you have deductions for the entire routine. You can do one half flip [ no continuous flips ] (so front handspring ups but not back handspring ups as those are a continuos flip). Execution score is out of 11 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

3. Flipping Round - everyone submits their routine and they have a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Then you have deductions for the entire routine. You can do one half flip [ no continuous flips ] (so front handspring ups but not back handspring ups as those are a continuos flip). Execution score is out of 11 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

4. Routine Round - Perform a routine of choosing. Submit for a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Execution score is out of 12 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics. Should be the highest scoring round.

I might would take out rounds 2 and 3 and have required elements in the routine round- a flip, twist, and one arm, with at a minimum of 4 different body positions.

an interesting twist could be, an endurance round. At the beginning to see how long you can hold whatever stunt, last 5 get points( 5th=1pt, 1st=5pts. Brings in Strategy, do you go for the longest and risk being tired for the routine rounds, or go out quick and stay fresh. Would have to see the total score and the way deductions are scored to see how much this round should score, enough to make up for some bobbles or a missed element, maybe a fall

I might would take out rounds 2 and 3 and have required elements in the routine round- a flip, twist, and one arm, with at a minimum of 4 different body positions.

an interesting twist could be, an endurance round. At the beginning to see how long you can hold whatever stunt, last 5 get points( 5th=1pt, 1st=5pts. Brings in Strategy, do you go for the longest and risk being tired for the routine rounds, or go out quick and stay fresh. Would have to see the total score and the way deductions are scored to see how much this round should score, enough to make up for some bobbles or a missed element, maybe a fall

Holding things for time is kinda boring. What makes cheer stunting so much fun is it is constnat entries, transitions, and dismounts. Acro does all those long holds.

The nice thing about the spinning round is it means people would focus on new and different ways to spin that would otherwise get skipped over. Same with the flipping rounds.

For example if you fullup the wrong way it is signifigantly harder than fulling up the right way (by right I mean more common way). Because the skill is a lot harder but there are even harder skills than that the act of spinning the wrong way is is rarely practiced anymore. This would give life to that skill.

Holding things for time is kinda boring. What makes cheer stunting so much fun is it is constnat entries, transitions, and dismounts. Acro does all those long holds.

The nice thing about the spinning round is it means people would focus on new and different ways to spin that would otherwise get skipped over. Same with the flipping rounds.

For example if you fullup the wrong way it is signifigantly harder than fulling up the right way (by right I mean more common way). Because the skill is a lot harder but there are even harder skills than that the act of spinning the wrong way is is rarely practiced anymore. This would give life to that skill.

Yes just holding can be boring, but if you have everyone out there at the same time, then you get the direct head to head competition that cheer sometimes leaves out.

You're kind... so let us come up withe sport itself.

So far we have 4 rounds.

1. Compulsory Round - everyone does the exact same routine and its based off execution / flexibility. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Execution score is out of 10 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

2. Twisting Round - everyone submits their routine and they have a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Then you have deductions for the entire routine. You can do one half flip [ no continuous flips ] (so front handspring ups but not back handspring ups as those are a continuos flip). Execution score is out of 11 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

3. Flipping Round - everyone submits their routine and they have a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Then you have deductions for the entire routine. You can do one half flip [ no continuous flips ] (so front handspring ups but not back handspring ups as those are a continuos flip). Execution score is out of 11 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics.

4. Routine Round - Perform a routine of choosing. Submit for a start value. Each time they vary from the routine you lose 1 point. Execution score is out of 12 and you subtract like they do in gymnastics. Should be the highest scoring round.
Kingston, you are on a role. I would absolutely love to be a part of this sport! :cloud9:

Yes just holding can be boring, but if you have everyone out there at the same time, then you get the direct head to head competition that cheer sometimes leaves out.

It be a rather short round. less than a minute for all teams. and then there would be a long lull for recovery.

Whats great is we could come up with a code of points for this in a matter of weeks. we could come up with deductions in a few days. we could have a competition and it be legit in literally a month. best part is no legality rules for level 7

Do it, I'd compete. I bet you could get this to a NCAA eligible level for college waay before STUNT/NACTA.

Make sure you have a plan for when Varsity tries to copy you like they did with STUNT.

Do it, I'd compete. I bet you could get this to a NCAA eligible level for college waay before STUNT/NACTA.

Make sure you have a plan for when Varsity tries to copy you like they did with STUNT.

Well I have no plans to make money, and I'd be happy with either one taking it and making it a sport. The thing you have to remember about something becoming a sport is you can no longer own it.

It be a rather short round. less than a minute for all teams. and then there would be a long lull for recovery.

I would not have a lull, that is where the strategy comes in. Do you go all out for the endurance points at the expense of being tired for the compulsory and routine rounds or do you get out quick on the endurance round to save the energy for the later rounds.

It would give you head to head direct competition, with a definitive objective winner for that round

I would not have a lull, that is where the strategy comes in. Do you go all out for the endurance points at the expense of being tired for the compulsory and routine rounds or do you get out quick on the endurance round to save the energy for the later rounds.

It would give you head to head direct competition, with a definitive objective winner for that round

But with the rate of recovery that it takes and the amount of time it would take 5 times to compete you would basically be killing the chances of the first few couples and then giving a huge advantage to the group that went last. That wouldn't be strategy but luck of the draw.

Maybe if they finished with it instead, but still it is just such a boring sideline type of activity. Fun, yes... but exciting to watch? I'm not sold on it.

But with the rate of recovery that it takes and the amount of time it would take 5 times to compete you would basically be killing the chances of the first few couples and then giving a huge advantage to the group that went last. That wouldn't be strategy but luck of the draw.

Maybe if they finished with it instead, but still it is just such a boring sideline type of activity. Fun, yes... but exciting to watch? I'm not sold on it.

It's definitely an interesting concept, but in my opinion, the "strategy" element of an endurance round would take away from the competition. With difficulty and execution set as the judging criteria, there can really be no argument as to who is the winner and why (aside from subjective disagreement with judges' scores, which happens with any sport that involves judging). When you add the endurance round into the mix and allow teams to decide whether or not they want to go all out or strategically get out early, you leave room for what-ifs and alternate scenarios (i.e. Would that team have won if they didn't get out early and save up their energy during endurance? Did that more skilled team only lose because they were still tired from winning endurance?). It takes away from the real winner by leaving questions because there are too many elements to analyze, much like regular cheer. That's why I like the idea of a strictly skill-based stunt competition.

I also agree that between-round recovery time would be hard to set up. Maybe if the rounds happened on different days. This would be possible at the Olympics but probably not at other competitions which might take place over a single day.

What if you added some sort of level of difficulty like in synchronized diving? I like how that sport is scored with top & bottom scores being tossed out and a multiplier being used. It is just another perspective.

I didn't think about that part about having different amounts of recovery time between the endurance and the routines. Good Point.

as to the interest of the event, we have a gym wide field day type event during the summer, where we compete within level for who can hold the level appropriate skill the longest. We also have a High V contest. From a distance, it would be boring, but up close being able to see the strain on their faces, struggling to keep it up, it is quite entertaining. Similar to some of the strongman competition events.

but as you said, it would be more of a luck of the draw, unless the draw was reverse order of how you finished. Last place in endurance goes first and first goes last.

This would be great and easy for other countries to set up as many already have partner and group stunt competitions within the general cheer competitions. One guy down here actually was thinking about setting up a stunt comp between our gyms in Melbourne. Using USASF levels stunt rules and having two routines: one standard for each level (so you can't just decide to enter level 5 because you have a one leg double) and then a creative routine that highlights your own specialties.

A basket category would be pretty interesting to watch. Have standard baskets like they do in diving and then your own creative baskets.

Back