All-Star Olympic Trials - Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Some of their moves are pretty graceful and they seem to have had more variety because not everyone was trying to pull the hardest dismount, etc. Makes you nostalgic... and makes me think back to cheerleading 8 or 9 years ago... so much has changed.
this is my point.

a cheerleader in 2070 is going to watch our routines like, what the heck are they doing. just like gymnastics up till the 80's is like, what.

gymnastics has just been around for much longer, so the argument that its more advanced or professional just makes me a little upset.

double posting for a semi related note:

2004.jpg

i want this leo back so much. i love it. its so beautiful.

I want THIS leo back! I love love love it. I think it should be the team final leo for the Olympics, although I don't think it'll happen since Ross already used it.
1002_000_front_zoom.jpg
I love this one but there is alittle tooo much white.. I wish there was one more red ribbon

It doesn't help that allstar cheerleaders find the need to argue with gymnasts every 10 seconds, and from what I've noticed, it's started a lot by the cheerleading side. We think because we do routines for 2:30 and the longest routine a gymnast does is 1:30 that that's a valid argument. Allstar cheerleaders find it necessary to justify that cheerleading is the hardest at every chance they get. Gymnasts are not completely innocent, of course, but what I'm saying is that SO many allstar cheerleaders go out of their way to point out how difficult cheerleading is, how much of a sport it is, how much better it is than every other sport, and gymnasts don't do that, they let their hard work and performance speak for themselves, something cheerleaders really need to learn to do.

The difference is that gymnastics is a recognized sport. Nobody argues with the fact that gymnastics is extremely difficult to do and a rightful sport. Where as cheerleading, a sport very much still in its infant stage, is struggling to become recognized to the general public as more than "rah rah" and pom poms on the sidelines of football and basketball games.

If the difficulty of cheerleading is brought up, it is to justify its title as a sport, more often than not, which comes right back to my point that gymnasts don't do this because gymnastics is legally and socially accepted as a sport. When cheerleading becomes an official sport and is accepted by the general public as more than chanting and shaking our butts, I guarantee you most of the bragging (for lack of a better word) from cheerleaders will stop.

The difference is that gymnastics is a recognized sport. Nobody argues with the fact that gymnastics is extremely difficult to do and a rightful sport. Where as cheerleading, a sport very much still in its infant stage, is struggling to become recognized to the general public as more than "rah rah" and pom poms on the sidelines of football and basketball games.

If the difficulty of cheerleading is brought up, it is to justify its title as a sport, more often than not, which comes right back to my point that gymnasts don't do this because gymnastics is legally and socially accepted as a sport. When cheerleading becomes an official sport and is accepted by the general public as more than chanting and shaking our butts, I guarantee you most of the bragging (for lack of a better word) from cheerleaders will stop.

And I get that, and I see the frustration, but it's rarely handled in the right way. It's always "oh wow you can do a floor routine for 1.5 minutes? Cool, try my routine for 2.5!" or something like that. Also, it's frustrating (as a fan and former participant of other sports) seeing cheerleaders always put down other sports to bring cheerleading up, saying things like "oh you can hit a ball? Cool, bet you can't stunt" and it's comments like that that only further stereotypes cheerleaders have.

And I get that, and I see the frustration, but it's rarely handled in the right way. It's always "oh wow you can do a floor routine for 1.5 minutes? Cool, try my routine for 2.5!" or something like that. Also, it's frustrating (as a fan and former participant of other sports) seeing cheerleaders always put down other sports to bring cheerleading up, saying things like "oh you can hit a ball? Cool, bet you can't stunt" and it's comments like that that only further stereotypes cheerleaders have.

This.

Respect is a two way street.

I almost wish they would go old school and wear the leo that the Magnificant Seven wore! Especially since people are saying this team is arguably the best team since them, and that they are expected to win! (I'm sure that every country says that about their team though haha).

Same difference, most of the people commenting were either not born yet or toddlers during this time :)
I had just had my 3rd child about 2 weeks prior (I was still young :)) and was sleep deprived...but stayed up every time gymnastics was shown -since they didn't show it till late in the evening. That was a great gymnastics Olympics year - from the Russians and the Romanians also. To watch it was something I won't forget.

Back