All-Star 2011 Visa's

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nope I'm right. As s gymnast, I know the gymnastics world, and I'm not to sure shy a lot of them dislike Nastia, I just don't want her to be on the commitee, I feel like she'll only help build a team thats from her own.
There are a many of us on here that are involved in the gymnastics world, not just you. Yes, your opinion about Nastia is YOUR opinion-which is perfectly fine, but it may not be everyone's opinion. Keep in mind that everybody likes different styles of gymnastics, you just tend to like Shawn's better. That doesn't mean everyone, or even the majority prefers her.

While your on the board, please try and keep in mind everyone elses opinions. In most cases, there are no right and wrong answers like your trying to make this out to be.
:)

She said THAT involved. I agree that I think it would be difficult to dedicate yourself as a parent, athlete, or coach 100% to elite gymnastics and competitive cheerleading.

once you've dedicated yourself to Elite, you don't have anything outside of it, but this girl is supposedly a level 9 gymnast, so I believe she could do it. I know a girl who is doing basically elite level gymnastics, just not the training regiment of elite, and cheerleading at the same time.

I did it (too) in 2009-2010.. trained elite (35 hours a week), coached 2 teams, and was on International coed 5 (which would practice til 1 am and had practice again at 9 am)... wasn't easy but I did it.. but you do what you love. haha I'd say that being an athlete was the most difficult part about being involved in both. But being involved with knowledge definitely isn't that hard, it just involves being a fan of both sports.

I would say people don't like Nastia herself rather than her gymnastics. She comes off as standoffish and rude but that's just the way she is. She stays to herself and doesn't go out of her way to make sure people like her or try and win people over with a smile. Does that mean she's a b****? No, she's a nice and normal person but it just rubs some people the wrong way. Her gymnastics also tended to become sometimes sloppy because her limbs are so long they highlighted form breaks and wrong angles.

Shawn has the personality with the smile and the powerful with technically correct gymnastics. Did she always have the prettiest gymnatsics? No. Was/is she entertaining and makes even the uneducated like her and her gymnastics? I would say so.

I did it (too) in 2009-2010.. trained elite (35 hours a week), coached 2 teams, and was on International coed 5 (which would practice til 1 am and had practice again at 9 am)... wasn't easy but I did it.. but you do what you love. haha I'd say that being an athlete was the most difficult part about being involved in both. But being involved with knowledge definitely isn't that hard, it just involves being a fan of both sports.

I would say people don't like Nastia herself rather than her gymnastics. She comes off as standoffish and rude but that's just the way she is. She stays to herself and doesn't go out of her way to make sure people like her or try and win people over with a smile. Does that mean she's a b****? No, she's a nice and normal person but it just rubs some people the wrong way. Her gymnastics also tended to become sometimes sloppy because her limbs are so long they highlighted form breaks and wrong angles.

Shawn has the personality with the smile and the powerful with technically correct gymnastics. Did she always have the prettiest gymnatsics? No. Was/is she entertaining and makes even the uneducated like her and her gymnastics? I would say so.

I've found that a lot of people lose respect for her here, especially considering her twisting and her bars dismount. She's tagged as this gymnast with beautiful lines and such, but when she throws a hard pass, it gets ugly (exhibit A: her handspring double front). Shawn generally keeps her tumbling pretty, twisting with her ankles together and such, though I think Alicia's the prettiest tumbler in the whole gymnastics world.

(I know this page is mainly about American gymnasts, but I got excited)
Catalina Ponor, the greatest beam worker I've ever seen, is making a comeback. I feel late, apparently that's common knowledge now, but I'm BEYOND excited.
if any of you are just recent gymnastics fans, here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jre38_7-zO0

I used to follow worldwide elite gymnastics RELIGIOUSLY from like 03 til after the 08 Olympics. Like I made youtube montages and the whole 9-yards. Don't worry, not the creepy kind, just the one's of them while they were performing. Nevermind, that's still kind of creepy, but I was like 14, sue me. After the whole Chinese team scandal, which I am still very bitter and pissed off about but I digress, I swore to never set my eyes on another international competition again. Luckily I came back to my senses just in time to saddle up for the pre-olympic year! I am so glad that so many of the 2008 girls have/are making comebacks for 2012. I think so many of them have Olympic-sized, unfinished business they need to take care of before they can leave elite gymnastics for good.

@Gym D I totally agree with you that the Nastia vs. Shawn thing is less about their gymnastics and more about their attitudes. I for one, have been an avid Nastia fan for all the same reasons you said you think people don't like her. I'm just such a sucker for a good "b!tchface" which, arguably, NOBODY in the sports world does better than Nastia. She just serves it to you cold. In 2008 my dad, the extremely avid elite gymnastics fan that he is [sarcasm], referred to Shawn as "Chiclets" and Nastia as "that pissed off one". Haha, I LOVED IT! Almost as much as I love Nastia. She is the Maddie Gardner of my gymnastics obsession, and WOGA is my Senior Elite.

and @chyeeaaa69, I totally agree about Catalina! (you need to stop posting things that I agree with so I can get back to being mad at you for not bowing down to Maddie G.) I like Romanian Gymnastics almost as much as I like US Gymnastics. I think it's because I love those crazy Karyoli's (especially Bella), but I don't know! In 2008 they left me a little lack luster, so I hope in 2012 they come out of the gate ready to take 2nd place to the TEAM USA! (I'm sure true Team Romania fans have a different ending to that sentence, but whatever).

And can I just say that anybody that says Communism is dead has never seen an international gymnastics competition in the last 50 years. These dang Commie's are always trying to team up and take us down! I think now is the perfect time to include a patriotic chant for democracy in my post. Say it with me everyone: USA! USA! USA! <---I used my freedom of speech to say that.

Okay, rant/extensively long post to catch up with this thread over.

I used to follow worldwide elite gymnastics RELIGIOUSLY from like 03 til after the 08 Olympics. Like I made youtube montages and the whole 9-yards. Don't worry, not the creepy kind, just the one's of them while they were performing. Nevermind, that's still kind of creepy, but I was like 14, sue me. After the whole Chinese team scandal, which I am still very bitter and pissed off about but I digress, I swore to never set my eyes on another international competition again. Luckily I came back to my senses just in time to saddle up for the pre-olympic year! I am so glad that so many of the 2008 girls have/are making comebacks for 2012. I think so many of them have Olympic-sized, unfinished business they need to take care of before they can leave elite gymnastics for good.

@Gym D I totally agree with you that the Nastia vs. Shawn thing is less about their gymnastics and more about their attitudes. I for one, have been an avid Nastia fan for all the same reasons you said you think people don't like her. I'm just such a sucker for a good "b!tchface" which, arguably, NOBODY in the sports world does better than Nastia. She just serves it to you cold. In 2008 my dad, the extremely avid elite gymnastics fan that he is [sarcasm], referred to Shawn as "Chiclets" and Nastia as "that pissed off one". Haha, I LOVED IT! Almost as much as I love Nastia. She is the Maddie Gardner of my gymnastics obsession, and WOGA is my Senior Elite.

and @chyeeaaa69, I totally agree about Catalina! (you need to stop posting things that I agree with so I can get back to being mad at you for not bowing down to Maddie G.) I like Romanian Gymnastics almost as much as I like US Gymnastics. I think it's because I love those crazy Karyoli's (especially Bella), but I don't know! In 2008 they left me a little lack luster, so I hope in 2012 they come out of the gate ready to take 2nd place to the TEAM USA! (I'm sure true Team Romania fans have a different ending to that sentence, but whatever).

And can I just say that anybody that says Communism is dead has never seen an international gymnastics competition in the last 50 years. These dang Commie's are always trying to team up and take us down! I think now is the perfect time to include a patriotic chant for democracy in my post. Say it with me everyone: USA! USA! USA! <---I used my freedom of speech to say that.

Okay, rant/extensively long post to catch up with this thread over.

I would say Rebecca Bross can do a pretttty darn good one too.. or that's just her normal expression..
Also, if you're a fan of Russian gymnasts, Anna Pavlova is making a comeback.
2012 Olympics will, in all likelihood have:
Alicia Sacramone, Shawn Johnson, Cheng Fei, Anna Pavlova, Catalina Ponor.... never thought I'd see Catalina Ponor on that list..

Just to throw this in the mix, our UK's Beth Tweddle is gonna woop all of their butts at the olympics on bars possibly floor too anyway haha. Its about time she did!! With her being nearly a granny in the world of gymnastics now. What does everyone else think about Beth - do you guys over the pond have any thoughts on our british team?

I would love shawn to convert to cheer once she has done with gymnastics, i think she would make a really good cheerleader. she's got the power and the smile for it.

p.s i love the US team right now!!

Just to throw this in the mix, our UK's Beth Tweddle is gonna woop all of their butts at the olympics on bars possibly floor too anyway haha. Its about time she did!! With her being nearly a granny in the world of gymnastics now. What does everyone else think about Beth - do you guys over the pond have any thoughts on our british team?

I would love shawn to convert to cheer once she has done with gymnastics, i think she would make a really good cheerleader. she's got the power and the smile for it.

I remember watching her being like 'GO ONE GIRL FROM THE UK! Lead your country (countries? Isn't that sort-of cheating?) to victory!'

I LOVE Beth on bars, but the choreography of her new floor routine is HORRENDOUS at best.
@kristenthegreat makes a good point. I don't know much about the countries over there but isn't her "country" listed as Great Britain? Is that one country? (wow I feel stupid..)

p.s, to anyone interested, check out Madeline Gardiner (weird.. I know) and Victoria Moors, both Canadian gymnasts. Victoria just aged into senior recently, she has a very Jordyn Weiber-ish style (also throws a double double on floor), and Maddie is AMAZING on beam, she placed... 8th(I think) at the Youth Olympic Games in all around. Also Christine "Peng Peng" Lee, I don't believe she's competing for Canada, I know she's at UCLA though, a verrrry good all around gymnast.

I LOVE Beth on bars, but the choreography of her new floor routine is HORRENDOUS at best.
@kristenthegreat makes a good point. I don't know much about the countries over there but isn't her "country" listed as Great Britain? Is that one country? (wow I feel stupid..)

p.s, to anyone interested, check out Madeline Gardiner (weird.. I know) and Victoria Moors, both Canadian gymnasts. Victoria just aged into senior recently, she has a very Jordyn Weiber-ish style (also throws a double double on floor), and Maddie is AMAZING on beam, she placed... 8th(I think) at the Youth Olympic Games in all around. Also Christine "Peng Peng" Lee, I don't believe she's competing for Canada, I know she's at UCLA though, a verrrry good all around gymnast.

haha well i cant give you a definate answer to this, noone i know understands either. As far as i know, yes we have England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales as seperate countries. All these put together is Great Britain - Great Britain is collectivly an Island. At the common wealth games we split the countries up and compete against each other. But then i dont understand why we compete as Great britain at the olympics. But i can say and be proud that Beth Tweddle and correct me if im wrong the rest of the british team are all from England :)

you can say the same for cheer too. when i competed at worlds in 2010 i competed under team uk at ICU worlds, and our team walked on behind the United Kingdom sign at opening ceremony's. but then some of the other from Team uk i.e stunt group, dance etc. had to walk on behind the wales, scotland, and great Britain signs. Even though they registered as team uk. I didnt understand this. And then Team Scotland registered seperatly along with Team Ireland too. even though scotland is part of the United Kingdom. Very confusing!

I think i just live in a messed up country!

I really hope that Beth Tweddle wins the olympic gold on bars. I want the US to win all of the other ones, but I really hope she wins on bars. How can you root against that girl? Especially in her home country.

ETA: When I say "you" I mean in general not you as a person. Haha just wanted to clarify since people tend to be overly sensitive on here.

I would say Rebecca Bross can do a pretttty darn good one too.. or that's just her normal expression..
Also, if you're a fan of Russian gymnasts, Anna Pavlova is making a comeback.
2012 Olympics will, in all likelihood have:
Alicia Sacramone, Shawn Johnson, Cheng Fei, Anna Pavlova, Catalina Ponor.... never thought I'd see Catalina Ponor on that list..

Oh my god! I totally remember Anna! and I always loved the "Russian" style of gymnastics, with the long lines and that game-face attitude that all their big gymnasts had. That's a huge reason why I love WOGA because Valeri and the staff there seem to be bale to really balance the quality technique with the great skills. I love to see a good comeback and the Russians were definitely not up to par with their usual amazing-ness in 2008, I felt like it was all about China vs. USA and Nastia vs. Shawn. Since I just got back into it I'm not totally familiar with all the current international girls, but from what I gathered it seems like 2012 will be a much better overall race for the medals than 2008 was. AHHH! You guys are all getting me so excited for the World Championships! I can't wait!

haha well i cant give you a definate answer to this, noone i know understands either. As far as i know, yes we have England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales as seperate countries. All these put together is Great Britain - Great Britain is collectivly an Island. At the common wealth games we split the countries up and compete against each other. But then i dont understand why we compete as Great britain at the olympics. But i can say and be proud that Beth Tweddle and correct me if im wrong the rest of the british team are all from England :)

you can say the same for cheer too. when i competed at worlds in 2010 i competed under team uk at ICU worlds, and our team walked on behind the United Kingdom sign at opening ceremony's. but then some of the other from Team uk i.e stunt group, dance etc. had to walk on behind the wales, scotland, and great Britain signs. Even though they registered as team uk. I didnt understand this. And then Team Scotland registered seperatly along with Team Ireland too. even though scotland is part of the United Kingdom. Very confusing!

I think i just live in a messed up country!
Well I know Rep of Ireland is separate, and y'all have Northern Ireland (which is a very sad and terrible issue that we just won't talk about. Especially because it makes me think of 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' which is the SADDEST movie ever). I just never got the whole UK/Great Britain thing. 'Cause to me UK is All '4' (England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland) but I always took Great Britain to be either the 3 on the actual island itself (not including N. Ireland) OR just being England. That being said, when I'm going to Scotland, I say 'Oh, I'm going to Scotland.' not 'Oh, I'm going to the UK.' Y'all just HAVE to be difficult, don't you? :p

That being said..yay gymnastics!

Oh my god! I totally remember Anna! and I always loved the "Russian" style of gymnastics, with the long lines and that game-face attitude that all their big gymnasts had. That's a huge reason why I love WOGA because Valeri and the staff there seem to be bale to really balance the quality technique with the great skills. I love to see a good comeback and the Russians were definitely not up to par with their usual amazing-ness in 2008, I felt like it was all about China vs. USA and Nastia vs. Shawn. Since I just got back into it I'm not totally familiar with all the current international girls, but from what I gathered it seems like 2012 will be a much better overall race for the medals than 2008 was. AHHH! You guys are all getting me so excited for the World Championships! I can't wait!

Yeah I don't know too much about the international athletes either, I've just been stalking around Youtube and noticed that Cheng Fei competed at 2011 Chinese nationals (thought she was retiring, she'll be 24 in London).. wow the top girls are gonna be pretty old.. Cheng Fei (24), Catalina Ponor (24.. thought she was older? deff didn't look 16 in Athens), Alicia Sacramone (24), Anna Pavlova (24)... not that this is old by any standard, but look at 08, Shawn (16), Nastia (19), Cheng Fei (20), He Kexin (16....?), Li Shanshan (16), Sam Peszek (16), Chellsie Memmel (20).. all I can think of right now

Well I know Rep of Ireland is separate, and y'all have Northern Ireland (which is a very sad and terrible issue that we just won't talk about. Especially because it makes me think of 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' which is the SADDEST movie ever). I just never got the whole UK/Great Britain thing. 'Cause to me UK is All '4' (England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland) but I always took Great Britain to be either the 3 on the actual island itself (not including N. Ireland) OR just being England. That being said, when I'm going to Scotland, I say 'Oh, I'm going to Scotland.' not 'Oh, I'm going to the UK.' Y'all just HAVE to be difficult, don't you? :p

That being said..yay gymnastics!
From wikipedia; "The name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" was introduced in 1927 by the Royal and Parliamentary Titles Act to reflect the granting of independence to the Irish Free State in 1922, which left Northern Ireland as the only part of the island of Ireland still within the UK". The impression I got from wikipedia is that 'Great Britain' is the name of the island which contains England, Scotland and Wales.

Back